Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Current truck projects.

1K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Krogoth 
#1 ·
Ok so I just recently got my 2004 6.0l Super Duty. I'm looking right now to start things off with it by adding a coolant filter, EGT sensor/Guage and a fuel pressure Guage. I was just wondering what brand of guages to go with, as there are apparently alot of options. A coworker with a F350 6.0 recommended the Sinister Diesel coolant filter kit, but I haven't devised on that either yet.

And last but not least, has anyone ever had any problems with the cam sensor connector pigtail? Mine is apparently going bad and sometimes will cause a crank-no start until I get under the truck and wiggle it or tap the wires. I'd like to thank a master tech I work with for helping me figure that one out.

There's more things I want to do to this truck but my income demands I space it all out over time. Ha!

#2 ·
I'm a fan of the Auto Meter Phantom serious for gauges...at least for the EGT and Fuel Pressure. You can get a OBD II adapter and an Android or Iphone app to read a lot of diagnostics for cheap ~$30.

I've got a Sinister coolant filter on my truck, and have had no issues, but a lot go with the IPR filter.

#3 ·
Best coolant filter is the IPR one. It's the only full flow one. All the others are bypass filters. If you're going to go with a bypass setup look at the XDP one. It's around 114 if you use the DIESEL10 promo. Requires no splicing into hoses or any cutting. There are tons of options for gauges. It depends on your budget. Glowshift are pretty cheap but are also known to fail more frequent. Isspro are expensive but you get what you pay for

Edit: stay away from sinister products especially when it comes to important things such as oil coolers and egr coolers/deletes

#5 ·
I'll look into the IPR kit. Also I don't need any replacement parts yet but when I do, I've been looking into BPD products, their FICM in particular as mine likes to drop down to 47v and 47.5v every now and then. Gotta replace my positive battery cables soon and see if that helps too though. My connectors on my batteries are corroded real bad. Have the harness just need to take the time to do the work.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I had seen glowshift and autometer gauges. Like the look of the glowshift ones but they don't get good long term reviews .

I have an SCT tuner and it can read everything except fuel pressure, EGT and LPOP, so I figure those are the only actual gauges I need to get eventually.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

#7 ·
I have ISSPRO gauges and love them. Had glowshifts before and had lots of problems with them. Or you could get a edge insight and add the fuel pressure and EGT to it. While being able to monitor nearly everything else.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

#9 ·
I have a cts and tri pilar set of glow ****s...been almost 2 years no problem with the glow shifts thank god :nod:
ipr for the coolant filter. I have the sinister and would trade it out but got it for the price of four filters...with 4 filters
is your truck an early or late build 04?
if early the stock egr cooler is probably fine, more so if you delete it :look:
it's the improved egr coolers that fail more than the original but the delete is still the way to go if you aren't facing smog nazis
otherwise bulletproof diesel :thumb:
oil cooler too if you need to change it out...which if it isnt bulletproof you will.
sounds like you are on the right track :nod:
enjoy your 04 i LOVE mine :thumb:

#10 ·
If I didnt already have my tuner which does most of my needed gauges, Id probably get an Edge, but yeah. Already ordered the piece to mount my EGT to my steering column, and my fuel gauge will go in my F650 dash mod when I get around to that.

Honestly, Im not sure how to check if its early 04 or late 04 build. That being said, its already got an EGR delete and had some bulletproofing done otherwise I wouldnt have had any interest in the truck.

Just finished fixing my trailer connector wiring tonight and 75% of the way through installing the new connector. Hopefully tomorrow Ill be getting somewhat ok news from an A/C shop and depending on what that will run me Ill get around to buying a coolant filter kit. Leaning towards the XDP kit, honestly. Also started looking into getting an FICM tune. Im getting 13-14mpg and wanna see if I can improve that at all.

And man, I tell you, I love this truck. Love it like crazy.

Attachments

#11 ·
certainly a good lookin truck.
I love these things :nod:
my wife and kid think i have lost it :rofl:
and with tuning etc you should be able to get better than 14:doh:
I live in the mountains and get closer to 20 average :nod:
not bad for a 9,000 pound beast loaded with stuff :hehe:

#14 ·
I'm thinking yours may be an early build or basically a 2003 engine. The 09/29/03 seems to be the number I want to remember for the cutoff date. Where's the ICP sensor? If it's on the passenger side valve cover, it's a late build. If not, it's an early build.

#16 ·
Anyone know anything about MaxTow gauges?

Slowly but surely my list of things that NEED to be done right away are being taken care of. Took care of my rotting positive battery wiring harness today. Next is A/C, CPS pigtail, and coolant filter kit.

#17 ·
Went ahead and ordered the XDP coolant filter kit While I was there, ordered the blue spring update kit as well. No idea if this truck has it or not yet but Id bet on a no.

Also gonna find a good site to order my new parking brake pads, axle seals, and a diff seal. Want something done right, gotta do it yourself I guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.