Your thoughts on 06 6.0L - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2009, 06:25 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Your thoughts on 06 6.0L

Hey y'all,

I'm considering an 06 SD X-cab PSD. Did Ford get the EGR and head bolt issues fixed prior to 06, or are a lot of people still having those problems in the newer 6.0L's? The one I'm looking at has 106k miles and has not had head gasket problems, and it still has the stock head bolts. It did have an EGR issue but I'm not sure if it was the major problem that seems to be common that resembles head gasket failure. In this case it was a check engine light that was on and the tech's comments was "TSB 03.19.06C EGR VALVE". Anybody know what that is?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Cliff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2009, 08:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have an 06 250 ccsb FX4 I bought in June with 97k and it has been doing great. It had the egr cooler replaced at 58k and replaced again about 2k later, apparently a faulty cooler was installed when it was replaced. Other than that it has had a new brake pedal pad installed and a new 4wd switch(solenoid) on the transfer case, all done before I bought it. It seems to run great and so far, I am happy with it. It also has cat removed with 4" Magnaflow from there back and an Airaid CAI and an Edge Evolution Tuner. As far as the head bolt and gasket issues that plague the 6.0, I think they are still a problem if you tow a lot or run a lot of added hp from a tuner. Some of the other guys on here know a lot more than me and they will prolly help you out more.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:53 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Check the small door sticker on the driver's side. Anything after January 2006 is a Job#2 motor. There are some small differences over the previous year model 6.0s.

I got 115k on my modded '06 with the stock bolts. I love the way it pulls and asks for more.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to Sins4u33
i have a 2006, love my truck, have put it thru hell and back towed a 28ft enclosed race trailer, from nc to texas and from texas to washington dc last year, and continue to pull it around every month or so when i go to the drag strip, didn't phase the truck once. Obviously i have done my maintenance on the truck, from fluids to filters to just about everything. The truck is very comfortable, makes me want to drive my truck more and more the way it rides. Gunna need some more mods soon tho :-p Overall impression. I dont plan to get rid of my truck for awhile, and when i do i plan to purchase a 2011 6.7L if anything.

Ben Y
Old 09-22-2009, 12:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey guys,
New here.

I have a 2006 6.0 CC SB Lariat with 65k ish and have had good luck with it. They did not change the head bolts through any of the 6.0l models and yes the EGR is still a source for issues. If at all possible ask the dealer to give you an OASIS report to see what has been done to the truck under warranty. This should give you a good idea of any issues it had or has.
I personally did a full EGR delete with a 4" MBRP turbo back exhaust with a custom tuner from Innovative Diesel and I have to tell you it realy woke her up!

Good luck with the new truck shoping!
Old 09-22-2009, 01:06 PM

It is not a question of if, it's a question of when. the odds are this truck will have a head gasket failure at some point, especially if you plan to use it like one would normally use a truck. the EGR cooler has been directly linked to head gasket failure, however I have seen head gasket failure on trucks that had an EGR delete early in their lives, even late model-06/07's are having issues.

The 6.0 liter failure record speaks for itself
Old 09-22-2009, 01:23 PM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Robsr, is this the reason your wife won't let you drive her truck, chit talking j/k

I have a 06 6.0, and love it. Its only got about 30k on it, but no issues to date. I respect the maintenence schedule, and the way the engine needs to be run to lower the risk of EGR and HG failures. I don't believe that its a matter of IF/WHEN, I think it depends a lot on who is behind the wheel. Coolant filters are supposed to help with the EGR cooler cloging and eventually overheating from the exahust and popping. There is a member here that talking to a guy with over 900k on his '03 6.0, and had no major engine problems, just 3 trannies (this doesn't mean the trannies are bad, they are actually VERY strong in stock form).
Old 09-22-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006PSDSD View Post
Robsr, is this the reason your wife won't let you drive her truck, chit talking j/k

I have a 06 6.0, and love it. Its only got about 30k on it, but no issues to date. I respect the maintenence schedule, and the way the engine needs to be run to lower the risk of EGR and HG failures. I don't believe that its a matter of IF/WHEN, I think it depends a lot on who is behind the wheel. Coolant filters are supposed to help with the EGR cooler cloging and eventually overheating from the exahust and popping. There is a member here that talking to a guy with over 900k on his '03 6.0, and had no major engine problems, just 3 trannies (this doesn't mean the trannies are bad, they are actually VERY strong in stock form).
Me talk chit? Never! I love them too! $$$$$$$$$
Old 09-22-2009, 03:11 PM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsr View Post
Me talk chit? Never! I love them too! $$$$$$$$$
She should have some compassion for a guy that has to drive an obama motors bowtie, and let him drive a real truck
Old 09-22-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006PSDSD View Post
She should have some compassion for a guy that has to drive an obama motors bowtie, and let him drive a real truck

LOL!!!! I'll tell you what, even though the sierra has never been in for warranty, I wont buy another GM. and doooood! its not the egr cooler that plugs, it's the oil cooler! go here and read: www.fleetservicenorthwest.com/ford.html go readaboutit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.