Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

04 6.0--Need a fan clutch...???

14K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  ZMANN 
#1 ·
Which brand and where is the best source price wise? They are way more expensive than I was expecting! Thinking motorcraft, figure it's not worth messing with a used or aftermarket unit.

I live in South GA where we are getting close to the heat of the summer, and I tow 10-12K pretty regular. Is the HD clutch (plow package??) worth the extra $$? The truck has a BPD oil cooler kit so good flow thru the cooling parts is even more important.

Thanks all

#2 ·
I'd either do a standard OEM clutch with a fan mod or a 7.3 clutch.

#4 ·
#13 ·
Ditto this one. Over the winter I replaced my fan clutch with an OEM Plow Clutch and really like the difference. Helps to keep the A/C cooler when at idle and the overall, cooler temps when hauling. And, it's no louder than the non-plow clutch.

Bottom line....my vote is for the Snow Plow Clutch. I wish I had done mine sooner!

#6 ·
I did the snow plow fan. I like that it is still controlled by the PCM.

Reactions: Heavy_GD
#8 ·
Interesting. After some research I'm liking the 97 Fan Clutch with BPD adapter. After owning 3 different 6.0 trucks I also do not trust the computer controlled clutch. It never seems to function properly when needed. Going mechanical with a little more noise doesn't bother me. Seeing EOT's under 220 while towing heavy in 95-100* temps is more important to me than anything else. I can live with a little noise for that :). And it also appears to be cheaper.

#9 ·
I just bought a New not Re-maned Murry Fan Clutch. Haven't put it on yet, but know Im thinking that the BPD 7.3 is the way to go.

Question. If its a manual Fan Clutch, what do you do about the PCM Plug? Is there anything else that needs to be done?

I have a NO Start NO Crank. When I unplug the current Fan Clutch truck Starts!

#10 ·
you just leave the plug unplugged and maybe moisture protect it

your existing clutch is shorting the 5v ref signal so thats the no start

the OEM viscus electric snow plow clutch is what I run and i use a manual override

i would only run an OEM clutch even if i did the BPD 7.3 and just fyi that will trow a soft code for fan out of range on some trucks ( maybe all)

#11 ·
i would only run an OEM clutch even if i did the BPD 7.3 and just fyi that will trow a soft code for fan out of range on some trucks ( maybe all)
Hate to tell you but all OEM 97 fan clutches have been sold so it's either aftermarket or used. Unless you know of a secret stash somewhere.

#12 ·
Your correct thanks
BPD now sells a Hayden brand for the 7.3

and the reason I was adamant about the OEM is there were folk having issues with non OEm performance but I trust BPD to sell a good product

so if they endorse the Hayden for that application and no OEM is available then by all means

#14 ·
I'm torn between installing a BPD 7.3 clutch or manual fan button, although the two recommendations above are making me think of the Snow Plow clutch.

I'm not towing now and temps are not an issue for me, so a new clutch or switch is in the middle of the want list and not on the must do list.

#15 ·
So what I'm gathering now is Snow Plow is the best option 7.3 is the second best option.

I found a FoMoCo Snow Plow for $445
BPD 7.3 for $245

Is the Snow Plow worth the $200???

#16 ·
Truthfully I don't like my computer controlled clutch and when I replace it, it will be with the 7.3 clutch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.