Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Cannot separate motor from transmission

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Piratejonh 
#1 ·
Can anyone offer any pointers. I have spent too many hours trying to separate the engine from the transmission.
The motor is loose, everything disconnected. I even removed the oil pan and pickup tube.
I just cannot seem to pull it forward. How long is the shaft that connects the transmission to the motor? I have the motor so far forward I am about an inch from seeing the back of the torque converter.

#2 ·
well if you havent unbolted the torque converter from the flexplate then the converter is going to stay attached to the flexplate when the tranny and motor are separated.
I would say unbolt the torque converter from the flexplate and see if that makes things easier...
BUT dont let the converter slide off the trans shaft and crash to the floor as the motor and trans separate.

in all this im assuming this is an automatic truck.

#3 ·
You shouldn't have left the converter bolted to the flex plate, if you haven't already done damage, you will break the trans pump if you try to put it back together that way.

#4 ·
Figures.
OK what should I look for to see if I have damaged the torque converter? It actually came out quite easily. Everything was hung up on the oil pan. It was too hot out and I was getting impatient so I didn't see it.
Anyway nothing is visibly damaged on the TC.
I came across something about having damaged the transmission oil pump and seal if I removed it that way.
Do I need to replace the oil seal or the whole pump assembly.
I am a week away from getting the last rebuild parts. Might be time for a new thread...

Reactions: Nefta
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.