thinking of buying a f350 but - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2009, 07:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
thinking of buying a f350 but

hello my name is ricky and im a nubee and was wondering if i posted in the right place well i had a couple questions for you guys. i was thinking of buying a 2006 f 350 it has about 45,000 miles on it, if i do purchase this truck it will be my first ford. i test drove this beast and was sold it is an amazing truck the inside is nice and the exterior is awesome and the performance is better then what i have. well i was telling my supervisor about it and he is a die hard ford man never owned anything else in his whole life says hes to good for anything else. but he told me that the 6.0 diesel engine was really bad and not reliable is he right is their alot of issues with this engine what should i be looking at if i do get the truck can you guys please help i really like the truck but dont want to spend alot of money on mechanical issues rather spend money on upgrades thank you all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2009, 07:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

im not an expert at all on the 6.0, some one will be along that knows more.

but, its isnt as bad of a motor as people say. it made a bad name for itself when it came out in 03 because the ford tech's didnt know how to work on it. it was not the same at as the good ol 7.3 at all! ford really should have waited longer and refined it before they put it in their trucks. anyway, by 06 ford had worked a lot on making the 6.0 better and they did.

the biggest problems they had with the 6.0 were, blowing head gaskets and a world of problems with the EGR system. better head studs and EGR delete with cure these problems for you.

the 6.0, as you found out, has an insane amount of power! and with a SCT they really get! 6.0 really just made a bad name for itself in its first couple years, but if you know what your doing you can make them reliable and fast as crap! i like them and i would buy one.
good luck
Old 09-18-2009, 05:22 AM

The 6.0 is not NEARLY as bad as everyone makes them out to be. The biggest problem with the 6.0 is the users. Lack of regular maintainence is the biggy. Change oil every 5k and fuel filters every 10k and don;t let them sit and idle for a long time as soot builds up in the egr system and that causes issues. But all in all, go for the 6.0 they are good motors.

Also, you should get an Oasis report on that truck to make sure it hasn;t been nothing but problems.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:36 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Get an Oasis report. Any maintenence records? If you buy, change the oil, fuel filters, flush the tranny and replace external filter, install Gauges, TB exhaust, and SCT in that order IMO and ENJOY the 8,000 lb rocket .

The 06-07 were the cream of the crop for the 6.0, but can still have problems like EGR and EGR cooler, headgaskets can blow if you're not paying attention to EGT's or your EGR cooler blows. Drive the 6.0 like a race car, give it a good WOT run when getting on the highway to keep her insides clean (if you get an SCT pay attention to EGT's).
Old 09-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

cool thanks you guys will do, dint even know what a oasis report was until you guys mentioned it, see that's why i like this place already alot of info just from you two thank you very much im in the prosses of getting a report right know hopefully the truck hasnt been in alot of trouble in these last years because then i will be a happy owner of a B@@D @ss truck thank you once again
Old 09-18-2009, 03:10 PM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
No problem, be sure to come and show pics when you get it. This community of PSD owners is pretty good
Old 09-18-2009, 05:26 PM

My truck, funny enough, hit 3 years and 30k miles on the same day a couple of weeks ago so I treated the old girl (yeh - it's like that...) to a fresh oil change, fuel filters, tranny service, and new front brake pads. I swear that it's like driving a new (even better than new:broken in) truck whenever I get it serviced. The 6.0 thrives on clean fluids and filters and is great if you DO THE MAINTAINANCE and use the proper stuff. I actually drove right by my house and circled the neighborhood one more time because I couldn't believe how well it was running. If the OASIS indicates no big problems and you plan on taking care of it - I say go with the 6.0
Old 09-18-2009, 05:43 PM
Rice Hunter

You've picked a better year for the 6.0L IMO. Most issues were resolved in this issue other than the above mentioned. OASIS report would be a wise decision. It's free for the asking on here once your a paid member. You can choose to delete/bypass some of the week points. Lots of help here so be sure a visit often!!
Old 09-18-2009, 07:25 PM

I am a ford nut but when i looked for a diesel i actually looked at chev and dodge too /gasp after hearing all the horror stories about the 6.0, but after lurking this website for a month and reading all the posts i felt the 06/07 was a great truck and imo the best looking F350 so i bought one and haven't looked back , absolutely love my truck! and so does my wife, she actually lets me drive it once in awhile
but some other things i've checked into are ford diesel mechanics and was told they are definately the best 6.0 trucks ford made and if you maintain them and use the truck for what they are made for it will do you no wrong. But not too slam the older 6.0's a guy i know has a '04 PS and it has 300,000 km's and the truck has never missed a beat!
Old 09-18-2009, 11:26 PM

What's he vin? I can give you an oasis report.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.