EGR removal and the law - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2009, 07:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR removal and the law

I understand that the EGR was factory installed on International 6.0L engines from the factory in anticipation of the future emission requirements. However, GM did not install EGR on all Duramax engines until 2005 and Cummins did on some 12-valve California models...and now on the newer 2007.5+ engines. (Or else Cummins uses other "technology" to produce the same results in the newer engines...I have not kept current with them.)

So...if you remove the system from a 6.0L Powerstroke...does that violate any rules or laws? I suppose one could argue that the law didn't require it on a 2004 for instance. Yet...maybe the law also says if it had it from the factory then it has to remain no matter what. I suppose the "law" never said you "had" to use an EGR valve anyhow...just that the emissions could not exceed XYZ level after such and such year. And EGR was a way to accomplish that...nevermind the other issues it creates.

I know most like the Duramax LB7 engine from 2001-2004 because the Federal Emission FE9 package option (typical on most) didn't have converters, resonators or EGR. The YF5 option code meant California Emissions and did include those things. Really cluttered up the engine bay too.

I was just curious because I'm definately considering a 2004 truck now and really would want to do the River City Diesel EGR kit or something like that to keep the darn soot out of the intake and engine. Thanks.

Last edited by neil; 09-15-2009 at 07:18 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2009, 07:22 AM

I suppose I should also say that where I live (Indiana) we don't have inspections or anything like that. And I'm not aware of any law enforcement concern over noise, smoke etc from diesels.

However with the current federal administration in office...and knowing who is in charge of the EPA now...I'd not be suprised that in a year or two if some new law was passed for diesel vehicles to be inspected twice a year etc etc in all States, all cities.

Then everyone would be scrambling to replace what was removed..and at a high cost for parts and time.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:49 AM
<-Day Of Fail now SOLD

I'm sure if your truck had any kind of emissions crap the law requires you to maintain it. Your vin will tell you if you had emissions as well as the sticker on the passenger vavle cover.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:37 AM

I'm speaking of me buying a 2004 Powerstroke 6.0L. And the fact that they ALL came with EGR systems...didn't they? So the VIN or valve cover decal wouldn't indicate anything that wasn't already known...which is all 6.0L's have EGR. And to remove it would be a violation?

My HD2500 LB7 Duramax doesn't have EGR. I made sure I bought one that didn't. Neither does my Dodge D250 Cummins truck. Now I want a 6.0L to put beside these...yet I won't put up with EGR related engine issues and clogged intakes, coolers, puking coolant, etc. etc.

I just don't like the fact I'd have to maintain it when it didn't have to be there in the first place to pass emission laws not yet in place in 2004.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:21 AM
<-Day Of Fail now SOLD

Yes all 6.0 have the EGR crap. Some 03 still had the 7.3 in them but they are rare and the 6.0 has more power at a cheaper cost. I wouldn't worry too much about getting in hot water about deleting the EGR system, many have done it many more will do until emission law require a sniffer test on diesels. And if that happens I assume that would be on truck with the DPF.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:27 AM

It is illegal to modify any emission control system. Period, end of story. If it was on the truck when it was driven off the factory line, it is required to stay on the vehicle.

Enforcment is unlikely in most instances and even more unlikely if there are not sniffer inspections where you are.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:47 PM
Lt. Negativity

Ya I doubt some federal guy is gonna pop your hood to see if you have it. Most Shops here dont know what to look for anyway for my state inspection.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghawg98 View Post
It is illegal to modify any emission control system. Period, end of story. If it was on the truck when it was driven off the factory line, it is required to stay on the vehicle.

Enforcment is unlikely in most instances and even more unlikely if there are not sniffer inspections where you are.
This is absolutely correct and is a federal offense if you mess with any emissions control devices. The EPA enforces these regulations with the assistance of local authorities. Here in Maricopa County, we have sticklers for emissions and they do pop hoods and quite a few know what they are looking for.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:06 PM
Premium Member

egr delete

I have read a couple of articles that said to just pull the four wire connector that sits on top of the egr and you don't need to do anything else. That way you could plug it back in if you needed to. Any problems with this?
Old 09-15-2009, 06:15 PM
Lt. Negativity

Yes its not as simple as just unplugging it. It will throw a code once you do that. You'll have to get an SCT and the vendor can turn it off.

Up here I dont have to get emissions due to the weight of my truck that per Department of EQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.