Couple of questions for the pro's out there... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2009, 12:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Couple of questions for the pro's out there...

I have an 06 250 ccsb FX4 that I bought back in June. I had the oasis report pulled and it showed that the egr cooler was replaced in 07 and there was another repair that was done but it did not state what the repair was in the report. It was done at the same time as the egr cooler. Also, I know the hood has been removed because I can see the reference marks that were made before it was removed. Any ideas on this? I am just wondering if the other repair could have been the head gaskets or is it normal to remove the hood to replace the egr cooler? My other question is about the coolant temps while towing. I noticed this past weekend while towing my three-horse bumper trailer(one horse in tow) 70 mph on I55 that my coolant temp guage on my edge tuner would go up to 220 degrees and I could hear the fan kick in and the temp would come back down to 204-207 or so. I had the tuner set in the #2 tune, which is tow/economy. Is this within normal range for towing or should I check this out? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2009, 01:03 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
There are several conditions that can make your fan come on, not just coolant temperature. That's not really hot for towing IMHO. One other thing you should check is engine oil temperature. It should not be more than 15* higher than your engine coolant temperature. Any higher indicates an obstructed engine oil cooler and it should be changed. 15* is the NEW Ford spec. It used to be 20* Also, if the engine oil cooler wasn't changed when they did the EGR cooler then be prepared for the EGR cooler again, as the EOC is the major cause of EGR cooler failures.

One word of advice I will give you, and others will follow, is to get rid of that edge before it trashes your transmission. Shift on the fly WILL trash your transmission, it's a guaranteed fact. Get an SCT with good custom tunes and your tranny will be MUCH happier.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:40 AM

Thanks for the reply. I saw while searching the forums yesterday before posting about coolant temps the reference to coolant temp compared to engine oil temp. Think I will set my Edge to monitor EOT, also. As for the Edge trashing my transmission, I am not sure I follow you with the "shift on the fly trashing my transmission" comment. What to do you mean by that? I never run my truck in anything higher than the #2 tow/economy tune on the Edge, which I think is 15 added hp, so how will this damage my t-mission. Not doubting your word because you know more than me, just want to know things like this and why? As for the oil cooler being changed when the EGR cooler was changed, I don't know. Will monitor the temps, though. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:04 PM

I have no idea were you guy get the Edge shift on the fly will "fry your transmission"....
My 05' has 111000 mile on it and has had a Platinum Additude on it since it had 20000 miles. I think the turbo timer and gauges are far better than just a downloader. Also being able to go from full power to tow safe power with out having to reload is the only way to go.

Oh and by the the way I am a Ford Diesel Tech.

Sorry for pirating the thread
Old 09-16-2009, 07:20 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abrannan19
so miles, you think that's its acceptable to change from level 1 to level 5 with no transmission adjustments?

You may have had good luck with your, but for every 1 good luck story, there are 15 with bad luck stories. SCT is the ONLY way to custom tune a 6.0 hands down, if you aren't addressing the shift firmness and line pressure, tuning the transmission to accept and handle the new level of HP, you are asking for trouble.

And as a former edge user, I KNOW that when you are on level 5 and even with all the defuel at shift disabled yatta yatta, it still defuels at shift, no matter what and it will flare shift 3-5, which are all BAD on a transmission.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:30 PM

I'll give you that it does flare shift at times..and i know it is not the best for the tranny. I also know that bang for buck it work really well, were you get the gauges and the turbo timer.
My experince with SCT has not been a good one. There customer service is sh*t and the tuner that has the display on it is the hardest the find a place to mount that i have seen.
I'm not trying to pick a fight it just seem that the SCT lovers are alot more out spoken then the rest of us. I'm not saying that Edge is great just that for the money the tuner is a good one.
On a side note are you saying that all selectable tuners are bad? What about Banks ^ gun it seem the be the safest and most thought out system on the market..
Old 09-16-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles97 View Post
I'll give you that it does flare shift at times..and i know it is not the best for the tranny. I also know that bang for buck it work really well, were you get the gauges and the turbo timer.
My experince with SCT has not been a good one. There customer service is sh*t and the tuner that has the display on it is the hardest the find a place to mount that i have seen.
I'm not trying to pick a fight it just seem that the SCT lovers are alot more out spoken then the rest of us. I'm not saying that Edge is great just that for the money the tuner is a good one.
On a side note are you saying that all selectable tuners are bad? What about Banks ^ gun it seem the be the safest and most thought out system on the market..
I don't want to fight either, I just want to lay the facts out.

I understand if you had a bad experience with SCT, but please don't judge all of SCT by getting a can tuned SCT, I know sometimes their customer service isn't top notch (no excuses).

I hate the live wire as much as you do, it simply sucks, but it is what it is, as i said before, some have had great luck with it and other, not so much.

On the Edge, i will admit, the gauges are nice as is the turbo timer, this is why I typically sell quite a few SCT X3 devices combined with the edge insight, then you get the BEST of both worlds, the power of a custom tuned SCT and the gauges to monitor basically everything.

Edge is great for the money, but honestly in the long run it will cost the average user more money, when you factor in shot trans and blown HG's

And yes, 100% I will say ALL shift the fly tuners are a bad idea when it comes to a 6.0.

Custom tuning is where its at 100%, no one offers that, full transmission control, some claim it but the only one who truly offers it and can mike fine adjustments with line pressure,etc,etc..you guessed it SC. Who else has something that offers custom tunes to support larger turbo's or larger injectors, can control cylinder pressure, disable( I said disable not clear) possible check engine lights from removing an EGR system, or running a non-VGT turbo,etc,etc. Any other 6.0 made 1000 hp other then the ones tuned with a SCT, for that matter, anyone made 500+ with anything other then a custom tuned SCT? I am talking on the dyno or track times to back up 500hp..
Old 09-16-2009, 08:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i have a question about both. is it possible to use the edge for the gauge setup and use the sct for the chip? also could it be possible to stack them so i get more power?i have the edge attitude.

Last edited by dusthol; 09-16-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusthol View Post
i have a question about both. is it possible to use the edge for the gauge setup and use the sct for the chip? also could it be possible to stack them so i get more power?i have the edge attitude.
stacking on a 6.0 is a very bad idea.

with that said, yes you can use the SCT as the power and the Edge for the gauges and leave it set to 0. This will only work if you have a standard edge, not an edge platinum. Since the edge platinum plugs into all three port under the hood it interferes with the loading and unload of tunes thru the OBDII port.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:34 AM

you can load the tune but you have to unplug the Edge connectors and plug it back stock. Load the tune and then hook the Edge back up.

I'm currently try running a Bully Dog power pup(for trans tune)((got it for free))and the Edge Attitude Platinum on top of it. Seem to shift the trans alot firmer and less de-fuel.

Abrannan what STC loader device are you using? I think i might have one SCT device around the shop, but it was for a 1/2 ton with the 5.4. Add how much for a tune.

Also where is your Business at? We currently use Premier Perfomance for most of our performance purchases. Mainly because they are only 2 hours away and we get stuff over night. Getting Liberator delete kits direct and we are also a Banks Dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.