pro comp tire problems? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2009, 07:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
pro comp tire problems?

I have pro comp extreme at 315/70/16 on my truck and all of a sudden the tires started to wear funny. I just had the four tires rebalanced 6000 miles ago ago, we went on a camping trip, tires were fine, made the next trip to work empty 1000miles, by the time i returned home the vibration was so bad that i could hardly see out the rear view mirror. when i looked at the tires all four are cupping on the inside/outside 1.5" of the tread, center tread is fine. Has anyone had problems with these tires like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2009, 03:06 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i had the same tires but i had no wear like you are describing. and i had 50,000 kms on them. they did however start to crack on the inside very weird like. sorry i cant help in your situation but i will put it at the top.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:11 AM
Other vehicle is an F250

I've had Pro-Comps and Coopers before. No real problems other than I can never get more than about 28,000 out of a set of tires. Any tire.

You might want to start looking here. Seems to be a lot of info out there about Pro-Comps?

Ripoff Report: 4 Wheel Parts, Pro Comp Tires, Cooper Tires ripoff PRO COMP TIRE SEPARATION CAUSES TRUCK CRASH ripoff Compton Nationwide
Old 09-12-2009, 07:20 AM

All that website shows is a tire that had been run on gravel roads on an overloaded truck.Running a load range D tires and hauling over the GVW of the truck.Not to mention that tire has less than 20% tread left if you look at the tread blocks yet he says it only had 7k miles.

You should rotate them every 5k miles.Judging by your comment your have about 7k on them since your last rotation.
How many miles total do you have on them? If they have been wearing fines and now all of a sudden 1 tires is wearing odd, maybe you have a hub bearing or tie rod issue. Did the wheel weight come off?
Just a few things to check, the tires are the end result of a problem no usually the cause.
Most true tire failures are tread separation or de-lamination.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -diesel- View Post
All that website shows is a tire that had been run on gravel roads on an overloaded truck.Running a load range D tires and hauling over the GVW of the truck.Not to mention that tire has less than 20% tread left if you look at the tread blocks yet he says it only had 7k miles.

You should rotate them every 5k miles.Judging by your comment your have about 7k on them since your last rotation.
How many miles total do you have on them? If they have been wearing fines and now all of a sudden 1 tires is wearing odd, maybe you have a hub bearing or tie rod issue. Did the wheel weight come off?
Just a few things to check, the tires are the end result of a problem no usually the cause.
Most true tire failures are tread separation or de-lamination.
Read my whole post! It is all four tires! I looked over the truck this week and found that the vibration was so bad that my brake caliper mounting bolts had come loose! I went to the tire shop that purchased them from, they would like to do an inspection of the truck, I will let them do it Only if its on they dime!! These tires were installed at 159000kms now the truck is at 183000kms
24000kms on them 15000 miles procomp treadlife warranty is 40000 miles. had a wheel alginment done just before installing these tires and it not out by very much and the check i did this weekend everything is tight on the truck. if it was one tire i could see the cause begin something on the truck! but ALL FOUR at the same time are doing this!
Old 09-12-2009, 11:01 AM

Sorry to hear about your tire problems. I'd suggest going to the tire shop and talking to the manager.

We have an '05 F-350 that we've worn out 2 different sets of ProComp tires with no issues at all... 1 set of Xtreme AT's, 1 set of Xtreme MT's
Old 09-12-2009, 11:59 AM

are you accidentally in 4wd? Or maybe the drivetrain is binding somehow??
Old 09-12-2009, 12:36 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
check your ball joints they could be bad mine were cupping on the inside and my balljoints were shot
Old 09-12-2009, 03:06 PM

Djanzen -- Off topic, but what kind of front bumper is that? ARB?? Looks great on your truck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.