Looking to buy my 1st diesel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking to buy my 1st diesel

I really like a couple of '05 F-250s I have found. This will be my first diesel truck. I've heard several horror stories about the 6.0. Is it really that bad of a motor? I'll be buying a stock truck and will keep it that way, if it matters. It will just mainly be for pulling a travel trailer 6000-8000 lbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to chuckles
Welcome to the org!! There is tons of info here about the 6.0. Overall the 6.0 is a good engine, but if not maintained/operated correctly, they can be a lot of problems.
First, get the VIN numbers of the trucks, and go to Ford Dealer and have them run an OASIS report on them. This will show the warranty history on the trucks.

The best years are 06 and 07. 03's have bad injectors/turbos, 04's have wiring issues, 05's have HPOP issues (big money). 06 and 07 were much better years and have less issues. All years have EGR Cooler/Oil Cooler issues, and this can lead to head gasket failures.

Your best bet is to find a lower mileage truck, that has been maintained well, but also worked. You don't want one that has been babied around town getting groceries. (these types are all plugged up with soot). 6.0's need to be worked regularly to keep the gunk from building up in them.

Once you get one, there a few things you can do to dramatically help with longevity, driveablity, fuel economy, and overall dependability of the truck.

1. Delete EGR system (either block it off, or delete completely)
2. Get better tuning (SCT tuner with custom tuning will dramatically improve performance, and fuel mileage) You don't have to go overboard with power, the tow tunes work very well.
3. Get coolant filter system (this will help prevent oil cooler failures, which in turn cause EGR failtures, which if left unchecked, will cause head gasket failures.
4. OIl bypass filter. (this keeps oil cleaner longer and helps with injector longevity.
5. Head Studs, (if you can afford it. this will "bulletproof" the head gaskets on the truck for most purposes.)

this may sound like a lot, but in reality the only thing that is very labor intensive is the head studs. the other ones are a couple hours each.

If you do these things, provided you get a good solid truck to start with, you'll be fine.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:52 PM

New To Diesels

While I now drive a "big rig" and heavy straight trucks to earn a living and all of them (obviously) are diesel-powered, I have never owned a personal-use diesel truck. (I owned a '93 International non-turbo 7.3L for ten years as a work truck, however. It was a beast!)

I just love Ford trucks, particularly the Super Duty models and would probably want a diesel if I got one - even though I honestly don't need a pickup truck. I like the F-150, but it only come with gas engines.

I know that diesels last a long, long time if they're taken care of properly and the PowerStroke engines (7.3L, 6.0L and 6.4L) have gazillions of miles on them all over the highways of this great nation. As with you, I have heard a lot of negative stuff about the 6.0L, especially the 2003 ones. The 7.3L gets the nod for reliability, but those in good condition with low-mileage are increasingly harder to find.

Eventually I may find a nice Super Duty to make my own - but it will obviously be a used one because the new ones are SO EXPENSIVE that I would have to sell my house and give up food in order to afford one.

My 2008 Mustang GT lease expires in January, so I will be on the prowl for something soon afterwards. I own a 2002 Nissan Sentra that is paid off, so I am not in a big hurry to find something quickly.

Be sure to let us know if you find anything! People on this board are very knowledgeable about Fords - particularly diesels - and you can find the answer to any questions at all.

Good luck!!

** When all is said and done, a heck of a lot more is said than done. **
Old 09-10-2009, 07:21 PM

The way I see it is you either get lucky and get a good 6.0 or you get one that belongs as a boat anchor no matter what year you get. They all have troubles and its not just certain things certain years.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:51 AM

Regarding the EGR delete system...Are there any adverse affects to dropping the EGR from the system? Or basically are the gains (performance and reliability) better in the long run?
Old 09-11-2009, 05:04 AM

There is only good about it as far I see it. It will lower your egts and help the motor in the longs with that all the time. Take out the cat and muffler on the exhaust to. Gets ride of the back pressure and lowers you egts to. Basically take all the emission crap you can and throw it in the garbage.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:29 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abrannan19
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsamm View Post
Regarding the EGR delete system...Are there any adverse affects to dropping the EGR from the system? Or basically are the gains (performance and reliability) better in the long run?
there are no cons. Some companies will claim that with their EGR delete kit, you will get more HP and fuel mileage gains, we simply don't claim that because were aren't gonna use sales tactics that probably aren't true. If you see these happen, then that's great, but if not you cant look to us and be unhappy because we sold you a product that didn't work as advertised.

Our EGR delete is just that, deletes the crappy stock EGR system so that you don't have any more headaches with the EGR system and a more reliable truck. Plus it does reduce the chance of blowing headgaskets.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.