Compression Ignition Addict
Join Date: Jun 2007
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Welcome to the org!! There is tons of info here about the 6.0. Overall the 6.0 is a good engine, but if not maintained/operated correctly, they can be a lot of problems.
First, get the VIN numbers of the trucks, and go to Ford Dealer and have them run an OASIS report on them. This will show the warranty history on the trucks.
The best years are 06 and 07. 03's have bad injectors/turbos, 04's have wiring issues, 05's have HPOP issues (big money). 06 and 07 were much better years and have less issues. All years have EGR Cooler/Oil Cooler issues, and this can lead to head gasket failures.
Your best bet is to find a lower mileage truck, that has been maintained well, but also worked. You don't want one that has been babied around town getting groceries. (these types are all plugged up with soot). 6.0's need to be worked regularly to keep the gunk from building up in them.
Once you get one, there a few things you can do to dramatically help with longevity, driveablity, fuel economy, and overall dependability of the truck.
1. Delete EGR system (either block it off, or delete completely)
2. Get better tuning (SCT tuner with custom tuning will dramatically improve performance, and fuel mileage) You don't have to go overboard with power, the tow tunes work very well.
3. Get coolant filter system (this will help prevent oil cooler failures, which in turn cause EGR failtures, which if left unchecked, will cause head gasket failures.
4. OIl bypass filter. (this keeps oil cleaner longer and helps with injector longevity.
5. Head Studs, (if you can afford it. this will "bulletproof" the head gaskets on the truck for most purposes.)
this may sound like a lot, but in reality the only thing that is very labor intensive is the head studs. the other ones are a couple hours each.
If you do these things, provided you get a good solid truck to start with, you'll be fine.
07 F350 King Ranch. SCT by Innovative!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
4" Magnaflow Turboback, Coolant Fiter System, ARP Studs, Sneaky Pipe by Elite Diesel.