Diesel Sounds - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Diesel Sounds

First of all, love the rig, love the power, love the sound! But, darling wife is not quite so fond of the noise. So, in what may appear to be an act of sacrilege, I am on a quest to keep her happy. After all, she is the one who insisted on buying the Toyhauler in the first place, and that led to the opportunity to add the PSD to the house, and I've always wanted one!

While inside the truck, once up to speed it is no problem. I have stock exhaust. I've heard of a tuner with a quiet mode, but this appears to be nothing more than a work around to slow the idle.

Any other suggestions? My friend suggested (kidding) stacks but I don't think that is in the cards. I suspect she will get used to it eventually, but if I can use this opportunity to sneak in a tuner and "better" exhaust, wouldn't that be nice!

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2009, 03:40 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
There arent any exhausts out there that are quetier than stock. But I would definately use the oppurtunity to get a custom tuned SCT and gauges
Old 09-10-2009, 11:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

no offense, but tell her to get used to it and LIKE IT! lol just kidding. put a straight 4 in exhaust on it, the benefits are schweet and well, she MIGHT just LOVE IT. lol good luck with this one!
Old 09-10-2009, 11:58 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
its a diesel. it is its nature to be loud. now if you want an ultra quite diesel get a 6.4. but a 6.0 is a lot quieter than my 7.3 lol
Old 09-11-2009, 09:09 AM

I would start to save my money and then you have a great excuse to pick up the 6.7L 2011 when it comes out!!! It's the quietest out there from the reports I've been reading.

But if that's not an option, I'd start by dynamatting the hood and firewall/cab. That would make it quieter inside but you can still have manly diesel howl going on outside!
Old 09-11-2009, 09:15 AM

Tell her that's what the radio is for! I had the same issue until the wife drove it a couple of times and realized the noise is not going away. Then I did the cat/muffler delete.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:22 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Tell her that the noise is what pulls the big loads, like the Toyhauler she wanted

What year is your truck?
Old 09-11-2009, 09:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My suggestion is to take her for a spin around town in a older Dodge Cummins Some where in the neighborhood of 2000 or older. When she gets back in the Ford she will think you put it in wisper mode. Another option is a ipod for her or a custom stereo system. lol But for the most part she will eventually get use to it. Good luck, and keep in mind you can never always please a woman. lol jk (not actually it is true hehehe)
Old 09-11-2009, 10:41 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryeman2138 View Post
My suggestion is to take her for a spin around town in a older Dodge Cummins Some where in the neighborhood of 2000 or older. When she gets back in the Ford she will think you put it in wisper mode. Another option is a ipod for her or a custom stereo system. lol But for the most part she will eventually get use to it. Good luck, and keep in mind you can never always please a woman. lol jk (not actually it is true hehehe)
I didn't think about it that way. In that case, I drove a 94 5.9 cummins around for a few days, when our other work truck was in the shop for some body damage. I was pretty shocked at how loud that unit was driving on the highway. Couldn't even turn the stereo up loud enough to hear, over the engine
Old 09-11-2009, 11:16 AM

Somebody had a thread on the Org on the installation of Dynamat. I think he was doing it for the acoustics because he was instlling a stereo. Still, it will quiet things up significantly in the cab.

You'll just have to roll down the windows when she's not in the truck to get your diesel noise fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.