egr/oil cooler - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2009, 06:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
egr/oil cooler

I was wondering, when removing the egr cooler or making it inoperable, if you were creative enough, could you just remove it?
I get the plug the egr valve or just unplug it. I get change the up pipe or weld it closed.
Can you just plug the oil passages? Plug the in and out on the engine. So oil just stays in the engine? Then could you do the same with coolant? Just plug both holes.
Basically I know the exhaust can be deleted, but does the oil still need to flow thru a line outside the engine and also the coolant?(seperate line odviously)
The coolant should be able to be deleted just like deleting a heater core. Just plug both holes in the block?
just trying to get an idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Lt. Negativity

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trying to delete the oil cooler is a bigger task then you think. It is not that simple Ive put in alot of time and thought with someone trying to figure it out. Doing an EGR delete is pretty simple though. You would have to weld up your intake manifold, up pipe, and a bypass pipe on the cooler in the valley of the motor. Your better off getting the correct kit and doing it right the first time or you will run into problems.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:54 PM

what needs to be bypassed? coolant in a pipe?
I am thinking more in theory, then actually ever doing it this way.
There would be 6 holes to plug.
2 oil, 2 coolant, 2 exhaust. I know exhaust can just get plugged. How about the other 2? In theory now. i would do a delete,kit if i did it. Just trying to understand this.
we've narrowed it fown to 4 holes now, oil, coolant, what must you do with them?
why a bypass pipe and not,plug those holes? what fluid runs in the bypass oil or coolant?
Old 09-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Lt. Negativity

Coolant runs into the oil cooler to help cool the oil by the way of transferring heat. If you plugged it, Oil would not have a way to stay cool and oil temps will rise. Where the oil is being cooled in the valley is also how oil is feed to the HPOP. Another issue will be oil flowing to the oil filter, as well as the oil feed tube to the turbo.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:02 PM

so regardless, the oil and coolant must flow together and use the same in and out as ford did??
just the exhaust can get eliminated?
where can i see pics of this delete kit?
Old 09-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Lt. Negativity

FirstCoastDieselPerformance.com -- Your Source For Powerstroke Performance has kits for the EGR system.

As for the flow if your doing away with the Oil cooler yes theres alot you have to factor in, external oil filter, external cooler with hoses and piping. Then you would have to figure out how to replace the block up top etc etc.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:24 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The OEM oil cooler is one of the most efficient coolers designed. The problem is it can get clogged from casting sand that works loose from inside the block. Get a coolant filter kit to help prevent potential issues.

Are you wanting to delete the oil cooler or the EGR cooler?
Old 09-10-2009, 05:02 PM

I was just wondering if the whole mess could be deleted? But it sounds like the oil and coolant stay. Gases go. I need to look at a kit then cause why not just weld or replace the uppipe and unplug the egr and use an sct tuner? why is the delete kit a benefit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.