turn signals not working - buzzing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
turn signals not working - buzzing

Alright - I figure my blinker selinoid needs replacing. When I turn on a blinker - I get this buzzing/short sound out from my dash - no blinkers come on - dash or outside. And only half of my hazard flasher works on dash.

So I went to Autozone and bought the blinker/flasher relay. Opened the Ford manual for which relay to replace and was stumped.

Nothing about a relay for flasher or blinker. And its not the #18 20A fuse - checked it. Where is the blinker/flasher relay located?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2009, 07:54 PM
Powerstroke Techie

dude don't do autozone parts. it's located towards the center of the dash from the kick panel that you removed to access the fuse box. it's a black box that has the lid taped on it. it's gonna be the square blue flasher in there.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:51 AM

i feel like a game of (no offence intended) marco polo here - is it within the kickpanel removed under the steering column area? Or is it elsewhere? Do I have to remove some other part of the lower dash to get to it?
Old 09-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Powerstroke Techie

yes it is with the kick panel removed. it's quite a reach up there. it's a black box about 1 inches by 4 inches by 4 inches
Old 09-12-2009, 04:35 PM

Well I found the location - its behind the 4x4 selector switch on the dash - kickplate need not be removed. I ended up taking my dash off and found it that way but removing the radio and reaching kinda down and to the left also works well.

Problem now is I replaced the blue Ford box that was buzzing with a new "autozone" part - I know you said dont do autozone - but I had the part and figured why not? Well - the part dont work! Stupid Autozone part. Now my blinkers still dont work and instead of buzzing it just clicks. Got to head out tomorrow eve and get the new part from another parts shop. I'm keeping my radio out to inspire me to get it repaired quicker. Cant do it during the morning/day - shooting a wedding in Annapolis.

Thanks for all your responses though
Attached Thumbnails
turn signals not working - buzzing-img00117-20090912-1905.jpg  
Old 09-13-2009, 07:06 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Wooah hold the phones.... Wow I must be totally out of it. Sorry but you don't need a flasher you need a multi-function switch. I'm sorry. I didn't think enough about this. I have replaced flashers on the superdutys and multifunction switches (but never for buzzing) but the buzzing is most common on the rangers and explorers.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:45 PM

So where is the multi-funcition switch located?
Old 09-14-2009, 06:53 PM
Powerstroke Techie

turn signal switch, in the steering column. you gotta remove the bezel. there's 3 or 4 screws if it has tilt you need to remove the tilt lever. To remove the ignition tumbler turn the key to the run position and there's a little hole in the bottom of the coulumn right underneath the tumbler. In the hole you will be able to see a little ball in a hole. you need to push on that and pull on the key and the whole tumbler will come out. then it's just (I think) 2 screws that hold it to the column.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:53 AM

Thanks for everyone's help - especially Forddieseldoctor! Once I figured out what the part actually looked like, picked it up from NAPA, removed the 3 screws from underneath the column & removed the ignition - the repair was done and back together in less then 5 minutes! Remove 2 brass screws (one top, one bottom) and unplug the 2 connectors, replug and rescrew an d back together. Very simple.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:16 PM
Powerstroke Techie

No prob that's what we do here is try to help people out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.