Oil Additives?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2007, 02:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Additives??

I'm looking for everybody's two cents on oil additives like Lucas or Slick 50. What's the deal with this stuff? Any good? Colossel waste of money? I had an Olds Cutlass in my teenage years that I would swear ran better because of Slick 50 but then again, I was only 16. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2007, 01:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

2003 6,0, I change oil every 5,000 or so with rotellat 15w-40 and drive it-I dont know enough about additives to say its a waste of $$$ but my truck does fine without additives. I do run some dieses kleen (white bottle) In the fuel about every other tank or so to help with gelling issues and to provide lubricant to the injectors, there have been questions if the new low sulfer fuels provide adequate lube for the injectors.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Let me qualify my answer...
I am on my third Ford Crew Cab 4x4 diesel...

I had a 7.3 non PSD in 1993 F-350, a F-250 2003 7.3, and now my latest and greatest a 2006 F-350 6.0 King Ranch Crew Cab 4x4 loaded with Goodies, Pro-Comp, Edge, Warn, more than you want to hear about...

I have had cars since the 60's and my first 56 Chev sort of poor mans hot rod.

On an old gasser, worn low compression gas engine clunker.... Fine, maybe does some good...

On a tight tolerance high compression diesel like the PSD???? NO WAY, CHANGE THE OIL FREQUENTLY, BUT IT IS ALREADY A LONG LIFE ENGINE, DON'T MESS WITH A GOOD THING...!

You chance ten time the risk of messing it up, to doing it any good. Those additives, other than benefiting the seller, are not much good except for maybe clogging up the leaking rings in a worn out gasser...

Now additives in gear boxes and diffs? (Not Fords) Another issue, possible value (not on automatics of course) but in geared manual transmissions and such maybe.... But even then I would say no in the modern Fords... They take some exotic synthetic gear oils themselves... Don't mess with a good thing, and my advice is worth more than

Old fashioned Mechanic in Australia.... Cheers
Old 02-28-2007, 11:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Best thing you can do is leave the additives out and spend the money on more frequent oil changes with a GOOD API certified oil.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I kind of figured this. Just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the input guys...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.