Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

tq converter or tranny?

763 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  tootall 
#1 ·
04 250, got it re-geared bout 2 months ago with 4.30's and im runnin 40's.....been noticing just this last week that it seems to take a alot more to get the beast going rpms go quite a bit further than normal to start accelerating....it doesn't "search for gears" so i figure its the tq converter? anyone know how to tell which it is exactly? i run a custom tune from eric at inovative and its hasn't shot back any trouble codes either. and i know the prices of tc and trannys but whats the going installation cost? anyhelp would be super appreciated. thanks

#2 ·
With running 40's you can expect some issues from the tq and tranny. My advice an after market tq and some mods to the tranny. Extra clutches ect....... not too $$$$ when done right. Deep dish pan for added fluid to help with cooling. How many miles on the tranny? 4.30's are kinda not enough of gears for 40's....... I would have gone with 4.56's. I run 4.88's and love the around town driving but its a tad too much on the freeway. Although it takes very little to get the 40's moving with the 4.88's.

#3 ·
45,000 is whats on the odometer.went with the 4.30's cus i used to run 37's then got a deal and a set of toyo mts for 800 new....hard to pass it up.....will a tc just go out one day like this though....well its been like 3 days but thought i'd have more time till ii really needed to worry bout it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.