Failing Injectors??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 11:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Failing Injectors???

I think I have an injector going....
Here are my symptoms: Just a little sluggish to start, slightly higher fuel consumption, and when driving down the road and you hit a hill when It downshifts you can ALMOST feel what seems to be a miss.
I talked to a friend of the family (He is a diesel mechanic) He said to run a lil cleaner through it as it sounds like it may just be sticking a lil or have carbon build up. I will try this today.

What are the signs of a failing injector?

Next question, IF i do end up having a failed injector or injectors I will be doing the work myself. Should I go a head and replace ALL injectors with a set of Stage 1s (155s) Or just replace the bad ones? I should be closing on the sale of my house on Sept 30, so I will have a few extra dollars.... HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2009, 02:48 PM

Well mine was doing what you're saying and mine would also have a rough start and would have no power until the truck warmed up. Its at the dealer right now and they called today and said they we're replacing the fuel pump and if that dosent fix it they're changing the injectors. I should be getting it back tomorrow so I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:57 PM
I wanna go fast!!!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I just had 2 injectors replaced and it was doing the same thing you described.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:35 PM

Oh jeez.... I was afraid of that. It also has NO power until warm, I went out and started it and let it idle for a second and then tried to move it a few spaces closer to the door and it just felt like crap and sounded like a gasser with a BAD miss.

Also, added some fuel additive and after about 15 miles, some of the roughness in driving went away. Is there any know way to check my Fuel pump? I know a fuel pressure gauge, but where do you hook that up???

Also, as asked before, what would you guys do, replace just the faulty ones at about 149 a piece. (plus cost of having it to Ford to find out which injectors are gone) Or just drop 1500 on a whole set of 8 Stage 1s???

Last edited by 05_PSD_Erik; 09-02-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:12 PM

I'll ask the mechanic when I pick my truck up how to test out the pump and I'll let you know. But I hope this isnt the prob for you, as Ive heard these pumps can be very expensive.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbs View Post
I'll ask the mechanic when I pick my truck up how to test out the pump and I'll let you know. But I hope this isnt the prob for you, as Ive heard these pumps can be very expensive.
Injectors are about 200 a piece, so I HOPE the fuel pump isn;t expensive compared to that....
Old 09-02-2009, 06:47 PM

I am having similar problem, just had egr cooler, oil cooler, and ICP sensor changed, under warranty. But still have an inconsistant miss under load.
I run the best fuel I can find, changed fuel stations, but still get the miss.
It happens usually under load, just before a downshift. If more accelerator is applied, and downshift occurs, it goes away.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to BLKF250
How many miles do you have on the truck? Assuming that it is an 05 iam gonna go with like 80K its more theny likely your injectors all it takes is one injector to fail and these signs will happen
Rough start ups
Run rough to warm up
lack of power
Miss firing

if you are having one of those more then likely its an injector. The only way you can test those is a buzz test buts sometimes there still good enough to past that. True and see if your buddy whos a diesel tech get a scanner and scan your truck even if the CEL isnt on codes will still appear. I just did an 05 with 160k same problems as you cylinder 4 injector was bad replace it along with a set of fuel filter customer said it ran unbelievable had power from the cold start....These high pressure oil injectors have a 2 stages to them 1 being a cold stage ( which is very common to fail on these injector) Stage 2 is a warm stage. Ford will probably charge you 100-150 bucks to tell you whats wrong depending on your dealer. If you get the injectors from ford they run $283 with a $180 core charge. So i would pull your old injectors out first then go get knew ones to save some money if though you get it back but still. Heres some hopfully info chart if you do your injectors yourself these are the cylinders and how they are numbered

Drive side (L) Front Passenger Side (R)
2 1
4 3
6 5
8 7
Old 09-02-2009, 07:33 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Lets start simple here. You said the problem went away when you put some additive in.

When was the last time you changed fuel filters? Also is this only happening when cold? If so do you have the latest reflash?

How many miles on the truck? If you are under 100k take it in.

If not get it on a scanner that can datastream and run contribution and buzz tests those will tell you if you do in fact have a dead or dying injector.

Fuel pump runs about 600 bucks from ford if you are out of warranty.

If you are out of warranty and the pump is bad get an airdog
Old 09-02-2009, 07:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to BLKF250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Lets start simple here. You said the problem went away when you put some additive in.

When was the last time you changed fuel filters? Also is this only happening when cold? If so do you have the latest reflash?

How many miles on the truck? If you are under 100k take it in.

If not get it on a scanner that can datastream and run contribution and buzz tests those will tell you if you do in fact have a dead or dying injector.

Fuel pump runs about 600 bucks from ford if you are out of warranty.

If you are out of warranty and the pump is bad get an airdog

Good point dave i just think of the worst that can happen .... I really gotta stop doing that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.