Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Front axle dust seal loose on both sides.

16K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  ptp 
#1 ·
I pulled the front wheels off the truck today to do brakes and rotors and found what looks to be an axle dust seal floating about on the shaft. Same on both sides. Photo attached.

Does anyone know the best way to get this back in place without any major hassle?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Put the wheel back on and walk away. Forget you ever saw it.
It does very little in the first place. The real seal is inside the axle housing, near the differential. Unless you get the updated part for that seal, it will look just like that after a few hundred miles. The updated one will last a little longer, but will likely fail at some point too. If you were pulling the knuckle and axle to do other seals or U-joints, I'd say go ahead and replace it, but if you're not going in for that, it simply isn't worth it.

#3 ·
I've had the same thing for 3 years. Doesn't seem to affect anything as there is another boot on the inside. But if there's and easy fix I wouldn't mind hearing it too. But from what I've heard, you gotta pull the shafts to redo them the right way.

#5 ·
Excellent news ... these are the kind of responses I like to get, thanks! Now, can you say the same for my disappearing coolant? Didn't think so ... LOL!

#6 ·
Both mine are the same as yours OP.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

#7 ·
I just turn my radio up, makes me forget.:wall:

#9 ·
i actually pulled my axles and replaced those suckers in 2014!
ball joints etc. also done.
but in the process, figured out you could make one yourself if so motivated!
a 2 part/half thingy.....even using some foam or something maybe.....

there was nothing else to seal dust out of the space around the axle......at that outside point.
inner seals at the pumpkin.? sure!
but wouldn't want any dirt to sit up there and hold moisture.
my axles had a little surface rust on them not bad.

if I were in a wet environment mudding it up, i'd replace them!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.