Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2006 6.0 flashed turd

6K views 44 replies 13 participants last post by  cardudenc 
#1 ·
so after finding a few threads on here tonight, I see I am yrs behind on getting my truck fix. Im 1 of those lucky 1s that bought a new truck and took it back in for something minor (under warranty or would've fixed myself) and my truck was flashed. that was in 07 and at 7k miles. I didn't notice for awhile because I don't drive the truck unless for a trip or towing. 1st trip and finally noticed my truck now pulled like a 4cyl and got the fuel mileage of my old 460 truck. called ford and they denied doing anything. started doing some research back then on it, and nothing much was out there. I was told to try a programmer. so bought an edge. It did lil to nthn. so I decided until I could actually see someones truck doing better with which mods I wouldn't throw anymore $ at it. Ive had several of lifes hic cups, so this truck has been on the back burner all this time. I had to start my own biz in 2012 which is mainly building off road rigs, seems most shops I work with building jeeps and buggies i have brought this up to . can help with any of my builds, but are los when it comes to diesels. or say they know someone that works on cummins.
which all this leads leads to tonights reading of strategies and rollback. over these yrs ive asked a few who could just put my truck back to the orginal way it was programmed when I bought it. so the purpose of this long winded post is to get some real life fixes for this turd.
So.... 2006 6.0 f250 now has 50k on it completely stock other than the the edge programmer. so where do I start? all help is appreciated

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, you can start with a ficm tuner and flash a different tune on it. I'd pull that pos edge off asap. Or you can contact someone like gearhead automotive and talk about some headbolt safe tunes with an sct tuner. But remember, tread lightly on stock headbolts. I run an IDP ficm tuner, and gearhead sct tunes, but my truck is studded and dealt with

#3 · (Edited)
PHP does the ECM rollback and you can also get a FICM tune which is the combo I did. Made a big difference.

Now I think PHP requires you to send them the ECM now verses a remote ECM rollback. Bench flash your PCM - Power Hungry Performance

Or you can go the SCT route and get a tune written. But it would be most cost affordable to just send in the FICM and ECM if you can go without the truck for a few weeks. An ECM rollback and an Atlas 40 FICM tune is a very popular safe setup.

Many more options though..this is just one.

#4 ·
Will doing the rollback eliminate some of the drivability improvements (such as shuttle valve strategy to reduce cold start injector stiction)? Does someone make a custom tune that eliminates the power reductions of the later flashes but keeps the drivability improvements?

#5 · (Edited)
Had to edit this response.

i think what you are looking for is what you would get in an ECM rollback AND a FICM tune. They keep the best and newest heating strategy for the injectors but address the power robbing issues that came from the latest Ford updates. I know my truck was a gutless turd with the newest Ford ECM/FICM updates and they update them both at the same time. Once I rolled it back and got the FICM tune it was way way better.

Here is their description on FICM tuning etc.
All our tuning utilizes the latest Inductive Heating strategies for improved cold temperature startups and operation. With 4 power levels to chose from (Economy, Atlas 40, Atlas 80, and Hercules), our programs complement any ECM tuning, whether it is stock or modified.
Most 6.0L programmers utilize changes to the ECM in order to achieve horsepower gains. However, ECM tuning is only part of the puzzle to restoring the performance and economy of the 6.0L Power Stroke. Ford's most current inductive heating strategy (which replaced the FICM damaging inductive heating strategy that was released in 2007/2008) resolves a number of cold start issues, but severely limits performance of the engine. With our standard ECONOMY FICM calibration, most customers see fuel economy gains as well as improved tip-in throttle response and better overall drivability from idle up through 3500 RPM. (We also eliminate that annoying injector post buzz.) However, we also offer fully modified FICM strategies that not only offer improvements in fuel economy, but also offer significant improvements in performance. With our new ATLAS 40, ATLAS 80, and HERCULES FICM strategies, gains of 100 HP or more can be seen, even with a stock ECM strategy. Combined with a modified ECM strategy, considerable improvements throughout the RPM range can be achieved with significant improvements in low RPM and high RPM performance.

As for custom tunes..I leave that for someone else who runs one. I do not.

#6 ·
I'd start with the turbo. An '07 with 50k on the clock tells me the unison ring is likely seized. Sitting for long periods without allowing the ring to move is a prime reason for turbo problems on the 6.0.

Then, I'd contact PHP for an ECM rollback or bench tune with a rollback and an Atlas 40 FICM tune (or buy the tuner and play with all of them).

Then, I'd get rid of the Edge tuner unless you can use it strictly as a monitor and get an SCT tuner, if you must have a tuner. Some of the Edge tuners will accept custom tunes so the transmission can be tuned to accept the additional power. I do not believe the canned Edge tunes have that ability. So you could research that if you don't want to go the SCT route. I believe PHP can do some custom Edge tuning as well.

Reactions: ZMANN
#40 ·
I'd start with the turbo. An '07 with 50k on the clock tells me the unison ring is likely seized. Sitting for long periods without allowing the ring to move is a prime reason for turbo problems on the 6.0.

Then, I'd contact PHP for an ECM rollback or bench tune with a rollback and an Atlas 40 FICM tune (or buy the tuner and play with all of them).
How do I diagnosis this with the turbo?

2nd paragraph is done.

seems I have an rpm range that is weird, maybe u would call it weak or turbo lag. will try to catch what rpm and describe feel better.

Finally got the truck finished up and 3 hrs sleep to take off on the 5hr drive to load and haul several things to the new shop.
WOW! really wished I would've found out this info yrs ago. Ive hated this truck. Now I have the truck I bought back.
Hauling a 16ft open center tag along running 70 - 80 most of the time gauge on the dash showed 19 - 19.8 mpg. and awesome power. the trip back dn not sure of weight in bed, my guess less than 600lbs plus a fiberglass camper shell. trailer loaded with a jeep wrangler on 35s, extra body armor and ft and rear steel bumpers plus a winch, and an extra set of axles. the 1st hr or so the gauge was in the 18s at the end of the trip had dropped to 17. while looking at the truck today noticed a rear tire low. had a lil over 30 lbs. I'm sure that's what caused the dropping.
I usually don't use the gauge to judge fuel mileage. but the truck had 3/4 of a tank and bike week was going on dn here, so traffic and crowds at the pump was unreal. so I didn't stop for fuel until nc. might tight *** wouldn't fill the truck up then because of a close to .50 difference in fuel price. will check it later and post up.
Thanx again PHP! my truck is drivable again

#7 ·
Remember there is no such thing as a head bolt safe tune. Its a toss up so tune at your own risk because I'm running a Gearhead performance SRL tune on tty bolts and my truck is going in the shop next week for head studs and gaskets.I don't even drive the truck hard or ever tow anything but I don't blame the tune I blame crappy luck so for you a rollback and a FICM tune sounds like a safer bet if your not looking for gobs of power.

#8 · (Edited)
i had been waiting for the warranty to run out and i was thinking about a cummins swap. but now after finally finding the info for the rollback. i plan on doing studs and the cooler and egr deletes, and an exhaust. along with the other common mods, plus what ijust read on the trans as far as pan, filter, and solenoids, also i guess checking out the turbo now that was mentioned.
if i tow, i mainly tow my jeep crawler . im thinking it should b less than 8k.
so at 50k and no issues other than the turd ford flash. should i also have ficm repair go thru my ficm along with tunes? or get a different tuner? i do like the edge for watching temps and other stuff. never really noticed much from it. i can put it on level 4 and spin tires. but havent seen any mpg gains from it.

#11 ·
I have a hypertech economiser tune on my 04. It is an A or B selection and cannot be changed without the use of the device. ANyhow it will download whatever tune is currently in place and replace it with the tune of a or b. Maybe conteact them and ask if it is feasalbe to put theirs on and make changes or what will happen. They are not as expensive as some of the others and I had it while it had stock bolts and gaskets. Had to do a oil cooler/egr upgrade so had the HG's and bolts done at the same time. Just a thought.

#12 ·
decisions, decisions. trying to figure out what is the best way for me. I'm sending everything in to PHP. ficm, ecm, and maybe my edge. that's what I'm trying to decide. well 2 decisions.
My edge has the probe to monitor the exhaust temps.
So do I just program my ficm with either atlas 40 or atlas 80. or do I have them set up the edge ?
Do I buy an Sct tuner for tuning?
And lst but not least, which tune? Atlas 40 or 80?
After talking to PHP. their suggestion was send in Ficm, ecm and run Atlas 40 with 100 hp tune.
Talking with a few people and businesses yest. Sorta liked the idea of being able to switch from atlas 40 to 80 with a Sct.
Any suggestions from u guys already running this stuff?
Again stock 06 F250 6.0 auto. 55k on the clock. used more as a DD with some light towing. I'm sure less the 8k. But don't want to limit the truck towing capabilities. Right now heaviest I'm towing is a Yj rock crawler, so a lil heavier than a stock wrangler. on a kaufman 16ft open center trailer. so my trailer is light . but again, may switch to a heavier gooseneck trailer

#16 ·
PHP flashed my truck ( 2004 ) after I purchased my FICM tuner . The truck is night and day different . The ECM was rolled
to their 25TOW as stock ( Daily driver also ) . Then after I started using the FICM tunes and settled in on 40 ATLAS .
It runs really nice and shifts great on this set up . It delivers good fuel mileage , and it takes very little pedal to " zip "
around , compared to it's original stock tune . Love it !!!

#17 · (Edited)
O yes, my conv Chatham036 was the best experience Ive had talking with a co. in any aftermarket field. Vey knowledgeable in something I know very lil about. And explained everything to me well. He just wasn't good with Ga. SC. NC locations or traveling directions or something like that. lol.
His recommendation is doing the atlas 40 wih 100 hp
Talking with 1 of my buddies later, he was telling me about another friend having PHP do the roll back and had a SCT with all the atlas tunes and a few others. so he could swap tunes for whatever he was doing with his truck. seemed like a cool idea.
So when I packed all my stuff mon. to send it out to PHP I threw my edge in the box just n case.
But I still sent it in with the recommendations from Chatham036. But just in case everything is there if that is a better route.

#23 ·
I actually wasn't lying. :look: ...this time
Pretty sure there's a post on here somewhere where I mentioned it. I said something to the effect of "... it's a sign that I shouldn't spend the money right now..." and gave up. I did wait until the last day or so though and I was trying it on my tablet instead of a PC, so that's on me.

Reactions: cardudenc and ZMANN
#25 ·
@Chatham036 ....
checking tracking I see u didn't receive my stuff today as I had hoped. looks like the verdict is to stay on course with the plan u gave me. my edge is in the box with my ficm and ecm. so do what we talked about and role on. sux shipping screwed me. was hoping to b putting this stuff back in fri. for my trip back to nc. I have to go back for a Dr apt and was going to pik up another 1 of my jeeps to bring dn to my new shop here n MB. u win some u lose some. lol

#26 ·
What shipping company did you go through? I would suggest usps they were really cheap for overnight shipping surprisingly, it cost me more for two day from fed ex then it did for them and they deliver on Saturday too but you have to sign if you go through them

#27 ·
yep, used usps. I just think shipping business to another biz would've been quicker thru ups. maybe more $ but quicker.
like I was saying, would've been nice to be putting everything back in the truck fri, I'm heading back to NC fri nite, a Dr apt load more stuff and back dn to MB SC. 10hr round trip.
I'm going to try and get the exh. drilled and tapped tom. and install the probe.
I'm just kicking myself in the *** for not doing this when I 1st found out about PHP. I cant wait to get the truck I bought back.

#28 ·
Hey Mark,
I received your package this morning. I updated your Evo programmer into a FICM programmer, tuned your FICM (ATLAS40), and tuned your PCM(100hp No EGR). About to package up everything and get it sent out now.
I have paid to upgrade your shipping to overnight UPS to make sure you get it back before the weekend. I know you said this was your daily so I do not want you to be down an additional two days from the weekend.

PS - You should probably include your phone number / email address when you send something in so I can get a hold of you :p

Let me know if there is anything else we can do for you!!

- Jay

#33 ·
Blowing up Mark's phone in 3... 2... 1... GO!

#37 ·
PS - Your shifting will be undesirable for the first 40 - 50 miles but it will smooth out well. The transmission goes through an adaptive learning cycle that is pretty aggressive(Natural to the 6.0 powerstroke trans) when you retune the computers. After you put some miles on it though, the shifts will dial themselves in right where we want them to be.

#38 ·
As promised the big brown truck dropped off 1st thing this morning. the bad is I'm swamped and wont b able to get these in until I close shop today. Im like a kid at Christmas right now. I cant wait to see how this does. so hoping to get the truck I bought back.
I used to work at the local dealer. and still couldn't get any help there. even with having a couple guys I knew in the shop.

I figured u had everything handled, was just reading back thru these comments and thought I would check. But I was confident u had done everything u needed.

I still cannot believe a shop I'm placing my 1st order with done all this for me. already told a few customers and have 1 almost ready to pull the trigger on sending his. Of course he is waiting to ride in my truck this weekend.
I just printed him some decals to put on the rocker panels of his truck. will post pics later.
Thanx again @Chatham036, and honestly cannot say it enough . I'm sure my trip back to NC to tow another jeep dn will b a whole lot more pleasurable than my trip dn last week. I think this is the 1st time I have been looking fwd to the trip. lol

#39 · (Edited)
everything is finally in the truck. I didn't get to start on it until a lil bit ago. prob around 1 or 2 am. Have Also been painting furn and watching paint dry tonight. I believe I have a few surprises in this whole pkg deal. This man knows how to take care of his customers. I will get to try it out n a few more hrs. will prob take off around 6am.heading back to nc.
here is a few more questions. I took the relay out as it said while installing. was just changing tunes and that warning came up again. Do I have to pull it everytime I mess with the tunes?
now for the bigger questions..
going to go ahead and start doing all the normal mods everyone is doing to these trucks. so what exhaust is everyone running?
ordering the blue spring mod now. also saw some mods for the trans. later model solenoid??
anything u guys can think of please chime in. and thanx in advance

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.