Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Is it worth buying?

4K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  11427 
#1 ·
Looking at a 2003 f-250 XLT with 155,000 miles, originally told the EGR valve needs to be replaced. Asked more questions and was then told the elbow coupling is leaking and the EGR is good. Their exact words were: further diagnosis found it to be the elbow coupling from high pressure fuel pump, the pump itself' asked if the pump was bad and told, no just the coupling.

With all the stated issues, who know about additional issues at this point, is it worth considering? Yes or no.

Don't mind if we have to do some minor work like the EGR, just want to know before we buy.

#2 ·
You didn't say if it runs. You didn't say how much it costs. How would anyone know if it is worth considering?

I believe that I can say with confidence that they either do not know anything about what might be wrong with the vehicle - or do and aren't telling.

Unless you go in there with a monitor and start making your own decisions, you will just be playing lotto.

#4 ·
Sorry, forgot to include price. They are selling it for $4,995 and they say it runs. Part of the reason it is hard to know for sure is we live almost 3 hours from the dealer. We have a couple pictures and what they are telling us.

Our last truck was a 1999 Ford F-250 super duty 5.4, and we just lost the transmission in it at 230,000 miles so it's a do we get a newer diesel truck or fix the current truck.

#5 ·
I would be interested at that price. Did they say what symptoms it had? Like DMc said, I would take a monitor and someone who knows about 6.0s and check it out for yourself. Buying a used vehicle is always a gamble, but if you are knowledgeable and do your homework then you can greatly reduce that risk.

#6 ·
For 5 grand its worth it i think, i mean we also havent seen any pictures, the exterior condition of a truck, in my opinion, can tell you alot about how the truck was treated. And lets face it, if the truck is a 8 out of 10 but has a lot of mechanical issues id be willing to bet you can make your 5 grand back and then some pretty easy.l But personally id go there with a monitor and take it for a spin if you can.

Reactions: john galt
#7 ·
Decent price, without even looking I'd be interested also, but I'd budget $2,000 bucks in parts for it once bought, and do the work myself. I'd venture it need or will soon
Glow plugs
Injectors
Rebuilt ficm
Egr delete
New oem oil cooler
New elc coolant
Blue spring mod fuel pressure
Transmission filters and fluid change
I'd start with above,plus anything that's broken, could get expensive .
But probably have pretty decent truck for 8,000 bucks if you can do the work yourself.
JER-1

Reactions: john galt
#8 ·
What they all Said^^^!

For $5k, that's the price of a truck I would expect that's getting parted out.

I'd be suspicious that the guy selling knows exactly what's wrong. I would say the EGR is a medium job that may take a day and you get to the point where replacing the Oil cooler may be another hour.

If you search powerstrokehelp buying a 6.0 on you tube, you'll come up with a 4 part video that will make you real smart on what to look for. Would be nice to drive it to a shop, pay them $150 to check it for you.

The part about the leaking fuel, I don't know that much about. I've installed the blue spring upgrade, so I think an O-Ring could be bad, but Ford only sells as a small part of a set in rebuild kits and I think it's about $70 for the O-Ring set. Could be a fuel line leaking, or maybe he means the fuel pressure drops below 45.

#11 ·
that front bumper is worth a grand :thumb: or close to it.

it is worth finding a good 6.0 guy and checking it out

unless it is a 7.3 then it is worth it just on desireability (if that is even a word) of last year production. i didnt catch if it was for sure a 6.0 or if that is what we all assumed

i got my truck for 3500 and it had more wrong with it than just the hpop and i LOVE my truck

#12 · (Edited)
oh and by the way

last truck i bought from a dealer when i asked about a guarantee he said
if it breaks in half leaving the lot i guarantee you own both halves :rofl:
i put 300k on that truck and it runs like new to this day

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.