Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

First Diesel, Looking for a little advice.

901 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  davidtong85 
#1 ·
Hello All,

New to the site and am a newer Powerstroke owner. Grew up with them but bought my first last year. 2005 6.0 F350 SRW CCSB Lariat. Love the truck so far. Was a one owner from New Mexico. Bought with 93k on it and just turned 108k today. Now for a few questions for those with a bit more experience. The truck runs fine and has not given me much of an issue at all. I have heard horror stories about the 6.0s and am concerned that I need to start doing all these upgrades and bullet proofing. I always service my vehicles regularly. I don't really need the truck to be fast or modded as it is my DD. Any recommendations on things that will absolutely need done? Much appreciated in advance.

-Adam
Pittsburgh, PA

#2 ·
1) Monitor (Scangauge, Torque App, etc.)
2) Coolant Filter
3) Friction Modifier, such as Archoil
4) If you tow, consider the 7.3 fan mod
5) Blue Spring upgrade
6) Keep an eye on your batteries

#3 ·
Thank you for the info! Definitely have considered the blue spring and scan gauge. Coolant filter, front and rear diff fluid change, and transfer case fluid change are coming as soon as I get a relatively warm day here. What do you mean by friction modifier? Sorry, I am just not familiar. Don't really tow much and both batteries are only a year old.

#4 ·
Monitoring should be your 1st priority IMHO - without data, you'll have no way of telling what's going on. Do that one 1st ;). Once you have a monitor installed, search here on powerstroke.org for "Monitoring the 6.0" for nominal values and what they all mean.

Friction modifier: Something like this http://www.amazon.com/AR9100-16-Archoil-16oz-Friction-Modifier/dp/B005UO6EWE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455198458&sr=8-1&keywords=archoil

It goes in the oil (when you change it) and helps pretty much everything that the oil lubricates.

A lot of folks also run a fuel treatment, such as Diesel Kleen. This injectors in these trucks require some TLC.

The batteries are important because they effect the health of your FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module) and , indirectly, your fuel injectors - low cranking voltage kills FICMs.

#5 ·
Listen to dieselclueless (although his name makes you not want to listen to him lol ). He is spot on with the monitoring, it is the the very first thing any 6.0L owner should do.

#6 ·
just like everyone has said.. just get yourself a decent monitor and keep a check on your numbers and you should be fine... you shouldnt go to crazy and start changing and adding upgrades just "because" they are a problem for some people.. Monitor the truck as you drive it everyday and when a problem comes up you can fix it by upgrading whatever have failed or replace it with OEM parts.. ETC ETC.. I myself is on the upgrade as **** breaks program...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.