Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Anyone? afe f3 converter

5K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Corey@CNCFAB 
#1 ·
Is anyone on here running a afe f3 torque converter?

I was thinking about making a purchase but I can't find any reviews. Just the diesel mag product review and pretty much nothing after that.

One guy has brought it up before but didn't really get a response to the f3, just everyone suggesting PI, suncoast and others.

Thanks,

#4 ·
What performance mods do you have.

#5 ·
rhetorically speaking, I don't understand the relevance of my particular power-train set up and how that would effect someones review of a torque converter.

That being said, if anyone on here has some experience with the afe f3 and would like to chime in, please do. I'm just looking for some feedback on it.

thanks again.

#9 ·
rhetorically speaking, I don't understand the relevance of my particular power-train set up and how that would effect someones review of a torque converter.
Yah........

(rhetorically speaking)

Why plan ahead and build a complete truck with a powertrain that matches output and drivability capability's???

Or maybe, they are asking to find out and help you if that particular converter will work for your application to help you NOT waste money......

I will say that the AFE F3 is the ONLY converter I have found that put in writing that it can handle "1,000hp diesel trucks". The big question and one you should REALLY consider is what do they warranty the TORQUE value at? My guess is the same 1k mark.....which is EASILY achieved with a tuned 6.0/6.4, and can be surpassed with ease as well. As I have stated when it comes to transmissions on here before, I could give a chit about HP rating. The rating to focus on and over build for is torque with these trucks. On average street trucks the peak HP wont hit until 3500+rpm.....meanwhile your peak torque (usually 2x what your HP number is) will come on in the 2k range and SUSTAIN through the run!!! That means the trans and converter have to handle that amount of torque MORE OFTEN, and for longer periods of drive time then it ever will see max HP.

Don't get me wrong OP, if you want to try out the F3 do so and keep us updated. I myself am running a RevMax converter which I found 0 reviews on for prowestroke trucks. HOWEVER, when I called to place the order I had a long chat with one of their reps about the converter and ability of the unit. The conversation ended with him saying "I dare you to break it if you can!" So that's what I am trying to do. There are plenty of tried and true converters out there, and one big thing to always remember is, when it comes to transmissions, LONGEVITY is the ONLY proof of a good component.

#6 ·
There probably no reviews on them due to nobody using them. That being said, if you have a stock truck, why waste your money on a $1400 converter when a RECON triple disk billet converter for less than half the price that can hold 700hp work just as well.

I carry AFE and have never sold one.

#10 ·
:hijack: :hijack:

What would you recommend for a tranny that could hold a 64mm turbo and like 155/30 injectors toren.

#12 ·
That's just the thing....I cant really recommend anything. This is the first A/M converter I have ran. My stock one did just fine in my 6.0 (175/75 and 64mm) and my stock 6.4 one held this combo just fine. I had the motor out of the 6.4 to rebuild it and the stock converter kept starring at me and saying "upgrade me NOW!!" so I did. So far this revmax is working great on this 6.4. I have a couple of customers that love their ATS converters, as well as some with the RCD converters. There's a ton of people here with the PI and Frank (twoicebergs) is running a BD.....although I would personally NOT use the BD for anything other then a stock truck....only rated to 1000ft/lbs. Basically I would find one that will handle the TQ you plan on putting out and go from there. Like I said there wasn't any info on the RevMax when I picked it up, and with them daring me to break it, and the price I figured why not try it. Keep in mind it is one of the cheapest billet triple discs out there. I am a big supporter of getting what you pay for and going the cheapest route is RARELY the way to do that. Just something to keep in mind....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.