Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Replacement Engine

9K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  glass3222 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 f350 6.0, i need to replace the engine, can anyone maybe give me a few suggestions as to where the best place is to get the new replacement engine, and also should i replace it with another 6.0, or a 7.3,
thank you very much for any advice on this.

#2 ·
#3 ·
You could put a 7.3 in there, if you want to spend some cash and don't mind the aggravation it would take to rewire it..and lose power in the process.
How much do you want to spend? Do you want a rebuilt stock short block, a rebuilt long block, or something built to add more performance? What are your intentions with the truck after the engine is replaced? A quick-flip sale or is it something you are going to keep and run for years to come?

#4 ·
ok that settles it i will be replacing it with another 6.0, i will be using it for work it was my main work truck, i wound up getting a 2015 f450 when the engine went in the 6.0, i dont want to get rid of the truck i just had it painted, new brakes all the way around, and new gas tank, im looking to obviously spend the minimum amount that i have to, but i dont want to go through the 10 year nightmare i went through with the 2006, always breaking,

#5 ·
Asheville Engine Rebuilders (a forum sponsor) has a rebuilt short block for $2995. Haven't ever heard of any horror stories about them...and in the diesel world, that alone is an accomplishment.

#7 ·
That's where kcoyner got his from. Seems happy, as I recall, but I thought it better that he speak for himself. I'm guessing he'll chime in before too long.

#6 ·
If you don't want to replace it with a 6.0 and don't want the headache of rewiring it for a 7.3 you could try a Cummins. There are several companies that make kits to drop one in, 12 valve being the simplest.

#13 ·
It sounds like you need to find some new sources. Whoever told you that they had a horror story, they are dead wrong! We have no horror stories. We do not "cut corners", every engine block and cylinder head is checked for cracks, properly machined and all brand new parts are installed. We add 4130 chromoly push rods and ARP Studs to every engine we build at no extra charge. We have doubled our business every year since we started 4 years ago without doing any advertising, just word of mouth. We have remanufactured over 100 Powerstroke engines in the first quarter of 2016.
Since December of 2011 when we started building Powerstrokes, we have built 1000 engines and had a total of two engines that we had to replace. The first was for a construction company in Georgia. For some reason, their crankshaft broke after 15,000 miles (very weird failure). The second was for a customer of SMA Diesel in Chesnee, SC. A lifter broke in that engine after 11 months of working properly. I attribute that to a part failure, not our workmanship. Feel free to call Sam and ask him if we replaced it without any problems.

#10 ·
I had a Blackwater reman that lasted 30K miles. I now have an Asheville that runs way stronger than the Blackwater ever tried to run. Every question I had with Asheville was very professional and prompt if they happened to be on the phone at the time.

#11 ·
I went with a Jasper when I needed a crate engine in a pinch. Seems to be doing ok so far. 6 month warranty with unlimited miles.

Reactions: djmaguire
#12 ·
I had my truck torn down to do HGs for a second time and found a burned piston. After considering buying another truck, nearly passing out while looking at the sticker price on a new one, a lot of hand wringing, a lot of reading, a ton of phone calls, texts and emails, I went with Asheville Engines. I purchased the Performance 20 long block and added a Stage 2 cam. I also had a KC Stage 1.5 turbo, Heavy Duty BPD oil cooler, a regulated return and some other goodies installed. I've put about 12K miles on it and I can't say enough good things about it at this point. I highly recommend Asheville Engines and going this route if you've got a lot of miles and are going anything past HGs. If you need new heads and have much over 200K miles on your truck I would recommend at least considering the long block.

k

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.