Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2003 F350 4Door Flatbed 6.0- Should I Buy?

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  G8orFord 
#1 ·
I am new to the forum and diesels too but I have a need for one. I bought a 30' travel trailer last May and it seems to get the best of my 2005 Chevy 1500 5.3 (inherited). I cannot afford a new or newer diesel at this time. A couple of days ago I was at a family gathering and asked my uncle about his truck just for small talk which is a 2003 F350 4 door Flatbed 6.0. The truck is in great shape he is the second owner and purchased off the original owner who traveled a lot weekly pulling horses. The truck was studded at 70,000 with Egr delete also. He mentioned he no longer needed the truck really because he has quit showing horses (TN Walkers) and somehow the question of would he sell it came up. This truck has 365,000 on it which I know is a great number of miles. The maintenance has been kept up on the truck. I pull my camper 125 miles (1 way) twice a year and 300 miles (1 way) once a year outside of staying at local State Parks close by. Should I buy this truck? He is asking $7000 for it. Thanks for any honest help and input.

#2 ·
Buy it right now, if you're just using it for towing and can grab it forn7k but it right now

#3 ·
I would check a couple other things like deltas, FICM and others, but for $7,000 I would grab it. I would also drive it more than that too, or it won't be too kind to you.

#5 ·
If it has been as well taken care of as you perceive, worst case is you buy it for 7grand. And it needs the headgaskets re done and injectors. Thats what, 4-5k there, then you're still in a reliable truck for 10-12k.

#7 ·
I would surely look at the ICP on that 2003 truck that runs a swash plate design HPOP. Odds are that pump has seen better days.
See if your getting anywhere close to the 3600 psi it makes new. Check cooling system pressure to for sure.

#8 ·
^^If that's the original HPOP with 365k on it, that might be a record for an '03.

#9 ·
Thats twice the miles my 03 got for sure.:nod:

#11 ·
There is no correct answer to that question. Too many variables. However, properly maintained and serviced, I believe a 6.0 to be easily capable of 300k before any major repairs are needed. Some get a lot more than that some get significantly less than that. That said, I just pulled down a 4.6 gasser with only 130k on it because of a spun #1 rod bearing. Pick your poison.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.