Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2005 F350 DRW Trailer wiring harness

6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Rolfsted 
#1 ·
I just traded my 2001 7.3L for a 2005 F350 DRW... First thing I noticed was that some monkey or kindergartner has been monkeying with the wiring. I'm the 3rd owner, and the 1st decided to install the brake controller by cutting the factory plug off and splicing in their wiring instead of paying $10 for an adapter harness. Seriously, Ford couldn't make it any easier. At some point before I got the truck, all that was cut out just distal of the splices. Of course the wiring colors aren't the same between the Ford harness and by trailer brake controller, but I got that end of it all fixed. My brake controller boots up normally, but doesn't see a trailer.

As my luck would have it, the same "tech" (I use that extremely loosely) got a hold of the wiring in the back too. There is literally a splice block back there with a ton of connections on it... I'm a fan of things being stock/factory (unless it's a better design). That being said, I'd like to rip out the harness that they butchered in the back. I can find a bunch of things that plug into where the factory trailer harness would go, but they cut the wire that comes before the trailer harness pigtail. Does anyone know if that's the same harness as the lights, or is it different? Does anyone have the part number?

Again, I found the pigtail harness that has the actual 7 pin plug on it. I'd just like to find the harness that comes before that.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I would guess that the @Sunrisefordparts guru could tell you and give you some options to get back to good.

#3 ·
I recommend going to Fordparts.com, put in your VIN #, go to electrical lighting and body, and then body wiring harness and components.

I think the part you're looking for is 5C3Z-15A416-BA for $73 and would be

"Kit - Tow Bar Electrics Includes Bumper Mounted Bracket, And 7-Pin Trailer Tow Connector."

I had some problems with mine the first time I used it, but a good cleaning fixed it. Mines fairly beat up.

#4 ·
I appreciate the link. I looked through there, but didn't see what I'm looking for...

I'll end up getting one of the parts you mentioned, but that's not the part I'm having trouble finding. I need to find the harness (or repair pigtail) that the part you mentioned plugs into.

I'll search that site more thoroughly in the morning when I can see a bit straighter. Thanks!

#5 ·
I had the exact same problem. Sold my 2001 F350 dually and bought a 2004 F350 dually.

The previous owner(s) had messed with the trailer wiring. It was a total mess. I went to Truck Trends, a local shop that sells accessories. I bought a complete pigtail set up for in bed plug and bumper plug. I cut all the wiring off and spliced in the new set. So I have just one place where the wires have connections. I couldn't just plug and go because of previous damage. I had a local trailer shop wire in a new controller in the cab while I was at it. Everything good now $200 later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.