6.0 Fuel mileage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2009, 09:54 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 Fuel mileage

I have complained about the mileage of my truck before on this forum and also read where some guys are getting 14-18 MPG towing outrageous weights (18-20K). I tend to dis-believe anyone who says they can get these MPGs out of a stock (no mods whatsoever) truck! Here is what I have experienced: I have a 14,450 GVWR fifth wheel toy hauler and pull it with my F-250 FX4 CC SB truck. It has absolutely no mods. I get anywhere from 9-11 MPG on a good day - if I am running into a headwind, forget it; I get 5 if I'm lucky. (I'm glad it's not a gasser - the mileage would be worse than that!) I am willing to take the concensus' advice and mod this truck (4" turbo back w/no cat, low restriction muffler, gauges, and an SCT tuner). My question is this: Do you REALLY get better mileages with mods like this? I'm not talking around town; I'm talking about going 1600 miles (one-way) through all kinds of terrain - like the mountains of Colorado and New Mexico to the flatlands of Indiana and Illinois. If you can get these gains by going the mod route, why do the manufacturers make the mileage on these trucks so bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2009, 10:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have an 07 F350 Crew Cab with no mods. I am getting about the same mileage as you, pulling an 8X16 enclosed trailer 80 mph. I would love to get the mileage everyone "claims" they are getting. The main reason i bought a diesel was to pull a trailer at interstate speeds. Coming from an old wore out 351W i am more than happy with the power and mileage so far.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:24 AM
back in the saddle

Pulling a 16' enclosed trailer I get about 13 on the highway running 75mph. I tend to disbelieve anyone that says they get mid to upper teens while towing too. That's with a tow file.

That being said when I'm unloaded and running a race tune I see 20mpg at the same highway speeds.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think I can safely say yes, you will absolutely get better mpg with mods, if you drive nicely. However it might only be a 2-4mpg improvment hauling a brick like that. Even if you dont want to tune it, a free flowing exhaust and egr delete will help alot.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:53 PM

Diesel MPG discussions have more exaggerations than a bunch of guys talking about their johnsons

My truck pulls great and it has tons of power compared to the old gassers I used to have. The mileage is nothing spectacular. I have NEVER gotten above 11 mpg towing my 7500 pound travel trailer.

So, the same guy that tows 15k getting 18 mpg also has a 12-inch John Henry Doubtful on both counts.

Last edited by Manatee; 08-17-2009 at 10:34 AM. Reason: correction
Old 08-16-2009, 05:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just hauled my 10,000# toy hauler 160 miles today, also had a two up four wheeler in back of truck, got 12.9 mpg. I only get in the 14s empty, never seen the high teens that some say they get. this was using spartans tow tune w/brake. Truck pulls awsome, blows my old 5.4 gasser away
Old 08-16-2009, 05:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My '06 250 CC LB is set up with an aluminum contractors cap and a steel gang box and diamond plate drawer pack bolted to the bed. Normally sits about 9100 lbs. loaded up with tools and material. Highway runs about 16-16.6 mpg, alot of city puts me at 12-13. If I pull my 29' travel trailer (7800 lbs.), mostly highway usually, I'm looking at 12-14. That's with intake and SCT X3 tuner.

Jim
Old 08-16-2009, 05:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i haven't hand calculated mine but just going off the overhead gauge i show 17-18mpg everyday in my excursion but when i hook my car hauler up and put a v8 ranger that weighs 3400lbs plus trailer. i get about 11-12 on the same gauge. the X has higher gears than most of the trucks out there tho. does this sound about right?
Old 08-16-2009, 06:09 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Lubbockguy1979
pulling 8-10k i was getting 11 ish stock. i did have power and my egts would get close to 1000 on small hills and would spike above 1300 on a long hill. with the spartan heavy tow with turbo braking i got 1-2mpg increase but the power was what made the difference. i found alot better milage by driving the turbo thru the hills. i have seen 18+ but nothing over 20 hand calculated. i am tuned but i have stock tires and a stock exaust. the price for the tuner is worth the power to me.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:54 AM

I have am on a road trip now and have put on just over 6000 kms towing a 9500lb travel trailer from BC to southern Ontario over a variety of terrian. The best I have got for mileage is just over 14 and the worst is 12 imperial mpg. I started the trip on Innovative's tow tune and got between 12 and 13 mpg. After a couple tanks switched to Street and got between 13 and 14.

Overall I am satisified with that... I had an 05' F150 and towed a 8000 lb travel trailer and got between 10 and 12 mpg and didn't do near as well towing.

Interesting though, was travelling with my Dad who has a 02 7.3L and is towing and 14k fifth wheel and he got pretty much the same mileage as I did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.