Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

At What Delta difference is a problem starting?

3K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Mcrafty1 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,
I got a 2006 F250 6.0 as shown in my signature. The previous owner was a marina owner and had a EGR Cooler and Oil Cooler replaced within the past 50k miles. It currently has 158k on it.
I'm monitoring the truck with TorquePro and the Temps will differentiate by upwards of 10 degree's depending on conditions. The closest I got to the 65mph for a few miles was not long after going up a few hills under decent boost, but the difference was about 8 degree's once they settled down.

Is this a sign that things are starting to get blocked up or does this look pretty good? I still haven't flushed the coolant to replace the gold crap but will be doing it ASAP.

Thanks in advance

#5 ·
I can say mine ran about 10 when I changed out the oil and egr cooler. Now...I only did it because we had to get in and do other work and so why tear it down twice.

Brand new OEM cooler...delta is now 6-8 so.......no real difference. I would not worry about it unless it started to get close to 15 as was said. Mine never changed over almost two years so I really could have left it but I was in there having the turbo rebuilt and standpipes etc done so!!!

#7 ·
This is the first time that I have seen anyone mention this and it is very important. The delta is hugely affected by RPM and air flow. The diff can make a big difference.

#8 ·
You are fine for sure, 8 degrees is a good temperature.
By all means though get that Ford Gold CRAP out of your engine.........

I strongly recommend you using Cascade Dishwasher soap with thermostat removed. Be sure to pull both block drain plugs and flush the holy hell out of it. Flow water through every hose coming into the coolant tank as well as the radiator.
Do 3 distilled water fills and run up to temp and dump it..
That way you know you got all of the regular water out of the cooling system.

One more thing you could really use is a IPR coolant filter. There are many bypass coolant filters available but none compare to the full flowing IPR.

People use either the Shell or the Cat EC1 coolant....... I went with the CAT ELC EC-1 because its red....lol

Anything that reminds me of Ford's Gold crap is no Bueno for me......lol
Shells EC1 is Gold...or yellow............

But you are looking good on oil cooler temps. Oh yea install a new Ford Thermostat too when you do coolant...Or a Mishimoto .

Reactions: mikeb01453
#12 ·
Personally i run cat EC1 coolant as well, they pretty much came up with the standard so i figured id go with them, plus i too prefer the red. Ford gold is terrible

#9 · (Edited)
The long answer...I've had the same deltas, about 8* apart since I bought my 07 at 103,000... it now has 127,000. I drained the 'Gold crap" out soon after I got it (I believe it was the original stuff) and replaced it with the 'Gold crap' and it is doing fine. I tow my 34ft T/T in the summer months and deltas never reach the 15* difference even then. and when I drain&flush again (probably in the spring) I'm doing the same thing , drain the radiator and pull the left side block drain and refill with the 'Gold crap' and I will continue to do that unless I see a problem. I believe your deltas are fine.

....I did install a sinister bypass water filter when I did the first flush, I've changed it twice since and when I cut it open I find Zero particles in the bottom or anything that is visible in the media, either there isn't much in the system or the sinister system isn't much of a filter. Call me optimistic but I choose to believe there isn't much floating around in the cooling system.

#13 ·
Personally i run cat EC1 coolant as well, they pretty much came up with the standard so i figured id go with them, plus i too prefer the red. Ford gold is terrible
Ford Gold is a fine coolant. Just not for a 6.0. If you are EGR deleted, the Gold will probably work just fine. The problem is the extreme heat in the EGR cooler "can" flash boil the coolant and cause the silicates to fall out of suspension leading to clogged oil coolers, heater cores and radiators. At least that's my theory.

Properly changed and maintained Gold per the latest revisions by Ford (not what's in the manual) "should" be fine, but I'm not willing to chance it.

#10 ·
I hate to be a glass half empty guy here but: The Sinister coolant filter ain't much of a filter. Look at that big giant 1/8" hole inlet your working with there. I had one for two or three years on my old 2006 truck. I picked up crud as soon as I installed a IPR full flow coolant filter.
Only thing I ever saw in the Sinister was very fine metal particles, that was it. I saw grits and small rust particles in the IPR filter.
I later did a major flush with Cascade Dishwasher soap and flushed out both sides of the block and found lots of stuff sleeping on the bottom of the block. I filled up the engine full of water and started up the engine to blow out the water and material in the block. Water pump pushed the water out of the block drain ports crazy fast under high pressure.

The ELC coolant is not a environmentally safe coolant like the Ford Gold. But it wont go south like the Gold stuff will.
The coolant tank also stays clear forever with a ELC-1 coolant where the Ford Gold burns it to a yellow color ??

Ive always wondered what else its doing inside the engine too??

My vote is:

Get a IPR coolant filter
Put in CAT EC1 coolant

But its your truck.........

Reactions: mikeb01453
#11 ·
Thank you for all the info. I was planning on a filter so I'll grab that one.

#16 · (Edited)
I believe calling Ford Gold 'crap' for the 6.0 is painting it with a pretty broad brush...especially since there are more people on here still running it trouble free even now than some would care to admit, but I'm not going to hijack the OP with a pissin contest about it. However, I do stand by my original reply. That being said....carry on with the regularly scheduled programming.

#17 ·
Just to answer another question in the thread, my truck has 3.73's with 265/70/17's. At 65mph I'd say I'm turning 1900RPMS.

I also believe its still running the Gold, at least that's the color in the degas bottle.

#18 ·
As a comparison, I have 3.73 gears and 275-70-18's and I get 65mph at 1800 RPM's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.