Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Hub Assembly, Timken vs Motorcraft

29K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  yz450f269 
#1 ·
I'm hearing a bit of a rumble when I drive, particularly on turning and when I lifted the front D/S wheel and gave it a spin, I can hear and feel the grumble, so I'm guessing it's time for a wheel bearing... or rather the hub assembly.

I know that the Motorcraft will last a long time, but the truck does have 330,000km on it, and I don't know that I'll get another 300,000.
The best price I can source on the Motorcraft is $605 and the Timken is $380.

Just wondering peoples thoughts on the Timken bearings. Parts guy told me the SP940200 part number indicates it's not an actual Timken. No idea if that's true or not.

Anyone have any opinions to chime in with.

Thanks folks.

#3 ·
I'm assuming he's a retailer. Problem is I'm in Canada and he's likely in the US, and shipping/duties/brokerage is a deal killer but I'll follow up on that now in hopes that it all goes well. Thx!

#5 ·
any thing to make money.

#6 ·
When I took my hubs off to do my axle seals both of them had Timken written on the bearing.

#9 ·
It looks like they just sell fancy bits. I think I'll go with the Timken then.
Thanks for the info folks.

What other bits do I need when doing this job? It looks like the Timken doesn't come with the studs, are they reusable?
Also I think there was some TTY bolts that I need to get?

#10 ·
no TTY and the studs are reusable if they come out with the double nut trick

you need a decent pair of snap ring pliers and all the seals plus a seal installer tool if you do that as well

might want to do u joints if you go that far or just the unit bearing actually I think the Timken comes with it's o rings so maybe just a 4x4 selector hub gasket kit that comes with new bolts

#12 ·
I thought the seal installer and seals was only if I start to pull the axle which would be for the purpose of the ujoint? Or is it just good practice to replace them?

#11 ·
I replaced my d/s hub earlier this year with this Timken part number. As Z stated you need a quality pair of snapring pliers - highly suggest snap on part number SPRC9000A. $30 something US$ well spent IMHO. The Timken hub assembly only comes with the o-ring. My truck had around 171k miles on it and i used some wd40 blue torch penetrate oil on the 4 bolts a few days prior to removal. My lockout hubs werent too bad, so just cleaned up the seals and regreased some. About a 2 hour job. I had done this side a year before and funds allowed only a cheap brand which went out in 8 months. Also i replaced the hub mounting bolts/nuts. Long winded but have more time to write being down after elbow repair.

#13 ·
Thanks. I I've got some Wurth rust-off here, I'll hose them down with that stuff.

Snap ring pliers, I shall need to get. I only have a cheaper set.

#16 ·
I'm going to be the odd guy out here, but I've had great luck with 2 separate suppliers off ebay - Detroit Axle and AM Autoparts (based in Canada).

Their hubs are inexpensive, around $100 but come with good warranty. Before anyone jumps on the "its cheap junk" bandwagon - I ran Detroit Axle hubs on my 02 F350 for 2 years and they withstood carrying a 1,000lb V Plow for both winters. I sold the truck and they were still in great shape with no play or noise. I bought them as a test figuring for the money if they lasted one winter than it would be worth it rather than spending $300 on a Timken.

Reactions: wikdslo
#18 ·
#21 ·
Also, I wouldn't buy anything from Rock Auto for my Super Duty. I've used it plenty of times for the Exploder, but then, I'm not relying on it daily.

#23 ·
What does the retailer have to do with the rig? I use rockauto for motorcraft parts all the time.

#27 ·

Here's a link to the wheel bearing hub assemblies that we carry for your Ford F350

We have them broken out with the wheel options that your truck may have to make it easier for you. Our Timken brand hubs include a lifetime warranty.

Ford F350 Wheel Hub Assembly

Hope this helps you out,
Tony

#25 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.