Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

archoil again or DIY stiction fix

10K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  TwoSixOhs 
#1 ·
2 years ago i had some stiction problems i used archoil 9100 and a synth 5w30 oil for 3 oil changes...stiction went away.
i changed to a synth 10w40 cause i use my truck in Spain from time to time.
anyways,...days are getting colder here and i noticed stiction again (looney wild tune) it is running rough if you throttle it up but goes away after 1 minute or so.
it would be easy to just add archoil again,and see if it cures the problem but that stuff is hard to get here in the netherlands.
Is sanding that injector oil plunger a long term solution for stiction?
i,ve got a spare set of injector o-rings and cupper washers.
so i thought i might go that route,but i,m reading about misses at higher revs after sanding the plunger so i am not that sure.

so a DIY stiction fix or archoil 9100 what is better in the long run?

#4 ·
Have you tried 5w/40 synthetic oil ??
10W/40 is not a good oil for the 6.0 it's really not. For the simple reason that the injectors do not operate well with it. At the introduction of the 6.0 the 10w/40 was the thinnest oil available at the time.

Oil engineering has come a long ways in the past 12 years. You see 0W/20 along with all kinds of different options with the new synthetic oils today.

Bottom line here is the injectors for the 6.0 have little room for wear and tear because of the extremely tight tolerances in the oiling system. Any build up on the spool valves or problems moving the oil through injector will cause injectors to malfunction

Try the 5W/40 and see how it does for you.

#7 ·
Bummer,...i just bought 60 ltr enough for 4 oil changes.:frown2:

#13 ·
Injector additives

The additives clean the varnish buildup and at the same time make the oil slicker. Not sure how they pull that off but they do.
My only concern has been what are the affects on the rubbers/buna in the engine. These engines are chuck full of O-rings and is there any affect on them long term from using those products..... I don't know, I have seen claims that it can degrade them. I have read that some brands do eat up the O-rings but have never any science on those claims.

Myself I have never seen any stiction issues in my trucks and I am on truck #2 now with the 6.0
I have always run a fuel treatment in every tank, mainly DieselKleen but last year or so I have been using Royal Purple's: Max-Tane mainly because it runs better with it. It honestly even idles differently with that in the fuel. Not sure if its a detonation difference or what but it's noticeably quieter at idle from combustion not injectors...? The 6.0 is quieter with 5W/40 oil in it over the 10W/40 oil but that is because the injectors don't clatter as much.

Bottom line is a fuel treatment does help the 6.0 fuel system as well as the combustion efficiency is improved. Another thing I noticed in my old truck was once I started using DieselKleen my EGR valve stayed much cleaner. It hardly got carbon build up at all.
My present truck I went with a delete on the EGR so I can't compare the Royal Purple Max-Tane.

Ok enough ranting I guess the bottom line is a ounce of prevention is better than a pound of varnish buildup......?

Reactions: PePe
#6 ·
I had stiction, polished the spools, it worked for 10k, but I used 15w40 and no additives. It came back recently and I changed the oil again using walmart 15w40 and it got so bad i didn't even want to drive it. I changed the oil again to 5w40 rotella and added archoil and it got so much better. It didn't take it away completely. I was going to take them out again, but before i did that i monitored my ficm and it was at 48 volts and 47 under a load cold. Tests good, but I changed it anyways to a 58 volt ficm and man did it change the whole truck. Starts fast cold, moves better cold, no romping, no stiction at all. Truck runs super now.

#9 ·
seems like you,ve been there, why bother if it is just a temporay fix?
truck runs fine and i do see a ficm voltage drop to 48/47v when towing my 7000lbs trailer.
see vid:
https://www.facebook.com/riversideboatservice/videos/425720490972028/

ok, 58V power board search is on, hardest part will be looking for a shop that will ship it to europe.

thank you Mastertech79

#10 ·
hey no problem, just keep in mind 47 volts is still good for a ficm but the extra volts from a 58 seems to energize these 6.0 injectors much better.

#12 ·
Agree with 5w/40 and FICM. Spool valves will be much happier. Also make sure both batteries are good.

#14 ·
I tried archoil and 5W/40 in one of mine with two injectors sticking while cold with no success. Flashed to the latest firmware and never had an issue since ... knock on wood, but 20k miles later ...

I know some have said they lost power and MPG with the latest FICM firmware, but I saw nothing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.