Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Big air bubble in coolant system?

21K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  krazyk 
#1 ·
Hello everybody not sure where I should start but I replaced my thermostat yesterday and refilled the engine with distilled water and anti-freeze. I started it up earlier today to check for leaks about 10-15 minutes idle no problems coolant level good and no leaks. Then drove it about 30 highway miles to work any air bubbles that it may have had when I stopped to look at everything I wiggled the coolant reservoir couldn't see any movement thought I was low. So with coolant temp at 202F I opened the cap and a lot of coolant came out, if I had to guess about 4 gallons and with enough force to cover my hood. After that did the 30 miles back home coolant temps were normal and level stayed the same about 3/4 of the reservoir.

So would a big air bubble cause it to shoot out like it did and since most if not all of the coolant that I put in came out should I be worried? The truck has now been sitting for over an hour and the coolant level is about 1/2 of the reservoir.

#4 ·
I wouldn't say slowly but I turned it till I heard hissing then when it stopped I turned it the rest of the way and it bounced off my hood along with a bunch of my coolant like a fire hose for about 1 second. So if a air bubble did it how do I get it out?

#6 ·
Then why didn't my coolant level drop? I filled it to 1/2 then drove it, blew some out and it's still at 1/2.

#8 ·
I'm guessing that you didn't lose nearly as much as it appeared. Spills are like that. The last beer that I spilled was like a million ounces. :)

Drive it for a bit. Let it cool. Release the pressure. Add coolant if necessary. Drive it more. Hard. Let it cool. Repeat as needed.

...and, for heaven's sake, don't ever do what you did again (without videotaping).

#9 ·
Okay and lol I wish I had recorded it because then I could post it saying what cause this.

Reactions: djmaguire
#11 ·
He was lucky, yes. I was guessing that he knows that he was lucky. ...and that anyone else reading this would know it, as well.

I got hit with coolant from my block drain during my ELC swap because I was rushing things. It slowed me back down real quick.

Reactions: Rattlesnake18
#14 ·
I will say this I wasn't worried about anything coming out because I couldn't see a coolant line (I wish these things were clear) when it popped off some did get on me but to my surprise it didn't burn like what I thought 200F would. A lot more would have gotten on me if I didn't have the sound insulation that diverted it forward and to the passenger side.

After more than 2 hours of sitting I went to top it off and when I undid the cap almost all the coolant in the reservoir drained out so the bubble is starting to work its way out. Also my upper radiator hose sounds like it has some air in it well.... I have a new project for tomorrow now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.