Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Studded, Injectors, Return... Now a "hesitation" cruising

4K views 47 replies 9 participants last post by  SRTchris 
#1 ·
Heres the story.

Went ahead and had the studs done before they become an issue.

Before this, had no issues.

Added KC S2 turbo-was a MTW S1
Holder 175/30 injectors-were stock
Driven Diesel Reg. Return- set to 65psi

and then all the basic things. Black Diamond gaskets... ARP studs
heads were cracked, had spare set, had them redone with the guides put in.

TSD Chris told me that I did NOT need a revised tune for the new things added, which I dont see why not...

The guy that did the work, took about 2 months.
Once he was done, he drove it back and forth to work a few days, just to verify no issues. Called me to come pick it up, was all good.

I picked truck up, as I was hoping on the highway, I THINK i felt a slight hesitation, but didn't really feel it after the ride home.

Next day, got driving down the highway and began to feel a "hesitation/miss feeling" while cruising.

I do not feel it on acceleration, nor deceleration. Just mainly above 45mph, while you're just maintaining speed.

Had a friend that works at Ford, drive it and hook it up to what I believe he said, IDS to check what the injectors were doing.

Said they could not find anything wrong. And did not know where to start

Does anyone have any clue what I should start at?
Technically only things that have changed were bigger injectors and the return added.
Truck drives great any where else, just maintaining speed has a slight hesitation/miss feeling.

See less See more
#2 ·
https://youtu.be/QTUniVactYU

Here's a video of what it's doing.
I've replaced ICP sensor. Replaced IPR. Still doing it.
Bottom left corner is ICP V

#3 ·
Mine did the same thing 45 Mph and it feels like a miss. My front tires are wearing like crap so I'm hoping mine is an alignment issue that hasn't been diagnosed correctly.

#4 ·
Next time it does it, tap your brake lightly to unlock the TC and see if it stops. You don't really need to apply the brake, just basically enough to light the brake light. That should unlock the torque converter for a few seconds. If the shake stops, then you may need a new converter (or live with the shake). It could be the lockup slipping. Probably not, but it's a free test.

#5 ·
Don't want to thread Jack because if may be different issues but it's at its worse from 42 -48 mph when it just kicks into overdrive. Speed gets it to stop letting out of the throttle stops it and both front tires are wearing badly. I've replaced everything but the drag link and it's going to be replaced in short order. Both tires are the same and it's just had an alignment in the last 500 miles when all the front end work was done.

Attachments

#7 ·
Alignment was just done 500 miles ago, I'll have it re-checked. I'm running innovative xtreme street. I bumped to the tow tune and it was still present. I'll also add compression was checked across the board because of a scare by two different shops and they all came back around 380 psi +/- 8 psi. Contribution done at the dealership was also spot on. I'll return to stock and see what it does haven't ran it like that since I put the 175/30s in.

#9 ·
With 175/30's stock probably isn't going to feel (or look) real good. If you've already changed tunes and it still does it's "probably" not tune related. Try the brake test, can't hurt. May not be the problem but it's one more possibity down.

#8 · (Edited)
Mine does it with convertor locked or not.
Just more pronounced with it locked.

#10 ·
Mine does it with concert or locked or not.
Just more pronounced with it locked.
That sounds like a miss. It would be more pronounced under lock.

#11 ·
Hoping to get with the guy to hook his IDS back up. And me take him for a drive.

Last time. He drove it himself.

If I cruise at 55mph. Push tow haul on. To where to drops to 4th and locked.
It's very pronounced hesitation.

#12 ·
I've had 3 diesel mechanics check out this issue.

All claim it to be an injector. But none of them can narrow it down to which injector it is.

Changed oil from Rotella to Motorcraft. Nothing.

Put Archoil in it. Still nothing.

Changed ICP and IPR. Nothing.

It has gotten worse. But nobody can diagnose it to one thing.

#13 ·
Be a little more detailed in your description of the symptom . When you say " miss " is it driving fine and then it feels like 1 cyl ( injector )
starts misfiring on and off (low throttle pos'n and pulse width ) while cruising .
A hesitation ( to me ) would be it driving fine and when you go to accelerate it's lazy about it but then takes off
Most obd readers have a display for "load" in % which can be helpful . I think it uses pedal pos'n , rpm and speed to determine the calculated
load . Take the truck up to speed and then flip it in to neutral and see if it feels normal , this takes the driveline out of the equation .
Please keep this updated , it will be interesting to find out what's happening .

#14 ·
Drives great cold. When hot, starts "missing"

Happens at 20% throttle when maintaining speed.
Feels like one cylinder. But not rythmentic, but is constantly.

ICP voltage with jump from 0.8 to 1.9 V when this is going on.

Give it any more throttle, goes away.

Mainly feel it in 4th and Locked st 50mph

Injector balance and IDS show no issues with injectors.

Everyone says it feels identical to an injector issue, yet no injector is showing an issue on a scanner.

Last place I took truck said did a Buzz test. Injector 3 wouldn't buzz. Unplugged it and put one of his spares in, and it buzzed. Plugged my injector back in. And started buzzing.
Had a misfire on Injector 3,2,8 but on decel, which said is normal sometimes.

Debating on having injectors pulled and sent back to Holders just to have checked out.

#15 ·
I'm going to try and get a video of my tuner today see if anything jumps out as odd. Still haven't gotten this figured out either. I did get a note from Ford addressing customer concerns over shimmies in the truck and they stated it is because of low air pressure in the tires. I just wish I could figure it out so I could order the parts and get it to stop..

#17 ·
Mine is defiantly engine related. It's no tires or anything.

I would call RyKan directly from Holders and speak with him before yanking the injectors out. I have never heard of getting a misfire code on deceleration as normal with larger injectors... maybe on Hybrids or something, but not 175s. I have run 190/30s for a year that he built me, and only thing my truck really does differently is that it sounds differently on deceleration.
Maybe misfire isn't correct word. He had it showing the injector balance.
And had -16 something.

But said that's typically
Normal on a decel
And it does not do this every time.
One time it was injector 3, another was injector 2. Then 8
But wasn't every time.

I've talked to Charlie Fish, who I bought the injectors through.
He said that Holders has no problem rechecking injectors, but would like to have it narrowed down to a few injectors that seem to be the case, which we can't figure out.

#16 · (Edited)
I would call RyKan directly from Holders and speak with him before yanking the injectors out. I have never heard of getting a misfire code on deceleration as normal with larger injectors... maybe on Hybrids or something, but not 175s. I have run 190/30s for a year that he built me, and only thing my truck really does differently is that it sounds differently on deceleration.

#19 ·
Has anybody considered a wiring harness issue now that the problem is getting worse and the fact that they ( harness(s) ) were disturbed
with your recent work . Bad grounds will do marvelous things to systems like these . Seems odd that it can't be narrowed to individual cyls.
Food for thought .

#20 ·
None of them have.

They all drive it. Hook up scanner. And watch as they drive it. Checking anything abnormal.

Is there somewhere that shows all ground spots?

The guy that did the work, is a 15 year Ford Diesel mechanic. No Joe blow.
But he rewrapped the harness in all the known issues areas, is how he explained it to me.

Funny thing. This is issue has been going on for 2 months now.
Hasnt gone away, except for other day. For last 2 miles to my house, 50 mph, 4th and locked, 20% throttle. ALWAYS does it.
Yet this time it didn't.

Drove it next day, it was back to it.

#22 ·
Tried this.

Same issue.

Going WOT. Truck won't get out of its own way. Spits and sputters real bad.

#24 ·
IDS has been hooked up to it.

And just typical scanners to watch balance of injectors.
Shut injectors off, one by one.
And just watch certain parameters.

#25 ·
Where are all the grounds?

#26 ·
Passenger side ground wire to battery has a small ground that goes to cab. Engine ground strap goes from back of pass side cylinder head to a bolt on the fire wall above the a/c blower motor. FICM ground wire goes on the back bolt of the intake under the FICM. Ground strap from body to frame on the bottom of the truck directly under passenger door.

#27 ·
Cause I'm not sure if this is related or not...

But since this, I haven't been able to keep charge in batteries.
They Load test fine. 3 years old.
But every 3-4 days. I've got to jump it.
Charges at 13.9-14.2V

#28 ·
Also. Engine load stays at 26-27% while ICP is all over place.

I was looking at the Exhaust Back Pressure parameter

Can the Edge Insight see that? Cause all it shows is "..."

#31 ·
Ok. Took for another drive.

Unplugged EBP sensor. Didn't change anything.
Plugged back in. Checked VGT% was at 57-58% while bucking/missing

Pulled over. Unplugged ICP sensor for ****s and giggles. Again. Last time I did. Truck drove like ****. And wouldn't get out of its own way, bucking and chucking.

But this time. Still wouldn't get out of its own way, but it wasn't missing/ chucking around.

Tried t a few times, 50mph, 4th and locked. 20% throttle... Where it typically does it.
and it wasn't doing it anymore. Hell Yea

Pulled over, plugged ICP back in. Still wasn't doing it.
I've done this 3-4 times now, and first time with this result.

Reactions: HP MACHINE
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.