Engine Heat-Up - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2007, 02:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine Heat-Up

I have had my truck for about 2 weeks now and have observed the engine as it warms up. The transmission temperature meter indicates near normal temperature before the engine temp meter comes off the peg. My last truck (2004 GMC sierra 2500HD 6.0 l) had a temp meter on the transmission as well and would never indicate anything until a load was placed on the transmission. I know that a diesel will not really warm up sitting in the drive but why is the transmission temperature increasing while it is sitting in the driveway??? Is this normal. I had a thought that may be the sensors were mis-wired...kind of out there but I'm sure stranger things have happened.

JR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2007, 03:27 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

ive never watched that close ,but if its stays in normal range i wouldnt sweat it , ,if a diesel engine sits at idle ,it will actually cool down if at normal temp ,when cold in the morning i can see trans heating up slightly faster than engine
Old 02-14-2007, 03:41 AM
Premium Member

That was the same thing I was thinking about mine. The trans gauge shows the trans warming up while at idle, but the gauges can't be wired backwards, as the engine is definately not warm. I have never seen a trans warm up at idle, but who knows.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:19 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The Ford trans temp sensors are set up solely on a time basis. They are more of an idiot light to tell you when you've cooked your tranny (they show HOT at like 250*F). My Dads chevy warms up the same thing that my autometer shows me in my truck. That's why they show that they warm up at idle, autos will not warm up unless driven. The proof to that is, after I installed my autometer tranny temp guage, I could see that, what I was told by a powerstroke guru from ATS was true.

I also read that the oil pressure sensor only needs to sense 7.5 psi to show "normal" pressure. I'm thinking of replacing all of my guages so that I have some peace of mind.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

100% normal. Automatic transmissions will start to warm up as soon as you start your engine. The input shaft of the transmission drives the oil pump and just the fact that it is doing it's job will cause the fluid to heat up. The guage is not measuring the temperature of the transmission, it is measuring the temperature of the transmission fluid.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:19 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006KR View Post
100% normal. Automatic transmissions will start to warm up as soon as you start your engine. The input shaft of the transmission drives the oil pump and just the fact that it is doing it's job will cause the fluid to heat up. The guage is not measuring the temperature of the transmission, it is measuring the temperature of the transmission fluid.
So, why does my autometer show a completely different temp than the stock one?
Old 02-14-2007, 08:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ford's trans temp guage isn't calibrated to show actual temperature. It works similar to the water temp, oil pressure, etc. As long as what ever is within normal operating conditions, the guages will show normal, with some variation in the water and trans temp unless you get out of the normal operating range. I've seen my water and trans temp climb a bit when pulling my fiver up a long grade, then immediately return to the center of the guage when starting down the other side.

The oil pressure guage is nothing more than an idiot light with a needle on it.

Read an outstanding article as to why the mfg went the way they did with the guages. Their example went something like this: A driver was told that the water temp was supposed to 195 degrees. All of a sudden, they look down and it's reading 200 degrees (still well within normal parameters) .... they panic, run to their dealer screaming, my engine's too hot. So the dealer tweaks the guage a bit, and a couple days later, the same person notices that now the temp is only 190. Back to the dealer ... my engine won't warm up ... never ending cycle. The installed guages are a reference only. When the temp is 180 or 210, the guage shows in the normal range, so the freaky driver doesn't go nuts and drive the dealer up the wall.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My edge evolution shows oil temperature and coolant temperature. I have been told the max spread between the two is 25 degrees. I am exceeding that by 30 plus degrees when climbing long hills and especially when towing my fifth wheel. Engine oil cooler problem? How do you diagnose that? Without the Edge gauge the truck would not have told me I had a problem...2006 6.0 superduty
Old 11-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Dawg View Post
My edge evolution shows oil temperature and coolant temperature. I have been told the max spread between the two is 25 degrees. I am exceeding that by 30 plus degrees when climbing long hills and especially when towing my fifth wheel. Engine oil cooler problem? How do you diagnose that? Without the Edge gauge the truck would not have told me I had a problem...2006 6.0 superduty
IIRC...the variance is only 10'F between the two. Anything more is a sign of potential oil cooler failure. I great remedy for this concern is to add a coolant bypass filter to remove casting sands that clog up the coolers. As for the previous comments concerns...I whole heartedly agree with the theory of why Ford decided to go the way they did with their analog gauges...otherwise they would have just as well given us too much info by adding Mulitiple digital PID info (i.e. Edge Insight, too many to note...) right from the factory , but they didn't and we know why...too much knowledge for some customers to deal with. I say get gauges...either traditional analog or modern digital (multi-PID) all-in-one gauge. I see 190'F ECT and 200 'F EOT as a daily driver not towing.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Oh yeah...Tranny Temp (or TFT)...is 156-160"F (again not towing).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.