weld the egr cooler ?? - Page 3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2009, 04:36 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr86 View Post
the only problem i see with this is if the cooler fails internally, the coolant would leak into the exhaust........part of the cooler and come in contact with all of the carbon and soot built up in there and and that would eventually contaminate the coolant. not sure if it would do any harm though...
If your egr has not failed prior to sealing, then it is highly unlikely it ever would. Even if it did (or already had for that matter), a small crack that allowed coolant to seep into the sealed off exhaust section wouldn't exactly make a flowing current. It's not like it would somehow dump a ton of crap into your coolant. It's really a non-issue in my opinion. If mine looks really dirty when I get it off then I'll clean/soak it with a solvent, flush it, and blow it out with a compressor. The ones I've looked at here weren't too dirty to begin with fwiw. I expected far more carbon than I found.
I'm just waiting on the welder to get back (I want nice neat welds!) before I get mine done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2009, 07:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am using a freeze plug to block off the exhaust, from entering the cooler and I made a blank to put in where the exhaust enters the intake. The blake is made out of a .010 stainless steel shim. I just used the gasket as a template. Easily removable if needed.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oh! It cost me $1.30 for the freeze plug. Saved $500+...
Old 08-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 03f250stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyman25 View Post
Oh! It cost me $1.30 for the freeze plug. Saved $500+...
and a big headache after it burns through. maybe you will get lucky but for some of us it just isnt worth doing things twice.

i hate taking things apart more then once and if i dont have the money (which im not saying you dont) then i dont touch something till i do. FCDP's kit is worth every penny IMO
Old 08-02-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable556 View Post
The last I checked a welded shut egr cooler comprised one part. I also do care about stock appearance, but that's just me. I don't sell delete kits, and I don't like spending extra money for kits I personally don't believe I need, so my opinion may vary. I don't go campaigning on threads about egr delete kits or anything either, but this thread is about welded egr coolers so I'm just chiming in my .2

Last I checked, the egr cooler outer body is pretty substantial, so how is all of that 'expanding coolant pressure' going to even develop (let alone rupture the outer body) when exhaust gasses don't even enter the cooler to begin with? Additionally (and this is just my opinion), I'd hardly call a properly welded cooler 'jerry rigged' compared to some of the delete kits I have seen for sale (I only said some). Maybe I'm just ignorant and delusional but that's just me.

The way I understand it (and it was explained repeatedly) egr cooler failures result from differential expansion of the cooler's interior matrix which contains the flow of exhaust gasses, hence they crack internally and then leak. It's not from coolant pressure. Puking is a seperate issue (that is also eliminated with either route). Either way those are moot points when exhaust gasses no longer even enter the cooler to begin with.

I'm not trying to pick a fight. Physics simply are what they are. If I'm misunderstanding what I'm looking at, then I'd like to learn what it is. I'll gladly acknowldge my fault if I'm wrong. I'm just pretty convinced I'm not.

A properly welded cooler (ie w/ proper metal, proper weld techniques, and welded at both ends) will work. Plain and simple. You really should also get a tune that will properly adjust for no exhaust gas recycle. It is the most eficient thing to do for your combustion system (and there are a lot of parts that depend on the cleanest burn possible).

Past that, folks are paying extra for:
1. insurance against "low probability" failures (ie the plates or welds failing)
2. looks
3. advertising

Last edited by bismic; 08-02-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:30 PM

well imo if you got the time, patients, and money (to do it again if it fails) then go for it! unfortunately i do not have any of the three..... although i do know about welding. i agree with Bismic that if done correctly THE WELDS should hold. im not a mech though so i can just say that its yours do with what you will.... my 03 6.0 is going to get out of the shop tomorrow.. and im not trying to sell anyone on anything. but i put an full egr delete from liberator and its got warranty, again no patients!! but hey we all have downfalls. none of us like to be told were wrong but .010 is pretty thin and welds die from vibrations........
Old 08-02-2009, 06:45 PM

I have a friend that is welding a spare up-pipe for me w/ 1/8 inch stainless plate. I personally would never use a freeze plug.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:02 PM

wow thats the root hot fill and cap all at once. but the pipe is holding pressure not try to stop it........
Old 08-02-2009, 07:05 PM

like v556 said thats just my two pennies
Old 08-02-2009, 07:08 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
A properly welded cooler (ie w/ proper metal, proper weld techniques, and welded at both ends) will work. Plain and simple. You really should also get a tune that will properly adjust for no exhaust gas recycle. It is the most eficient thing to do for your combustion system (and there are a lot of pasrts that depend on the cleanest burn possible).

Past that, folks are paying extra for:
1. insurance against "low probability" failures (ie the plates or welds failing)
2. looks
3. advertising
Already done.

Spartan Phalanx with Aggressive Street Economy tune. EGR = OFF! (EGR Duty Cycle = 0%)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.