My first round of "newbie" questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2007, 09:03 PM
CW4 Retired, US Army

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My first round of "newbie" questions

OK, I've searched and read for some of these answer and all I got was more questions. (there's more to this diesel stuff than I ever imagined)

1. I assume black smoke bellowing out of the exhaust on a diesel is a good thing. Just going by the pics on here and the lastest edition of Diesel Power mag.

2. I read something about cooling your turbo before shutting off your engine. And that repeated, short, quick starts and stops are bad. What is this all about?

3. I haven't seen Delo 400 mentioned much on here. This is what I have been using based on the advise of the guy whom actually talked me into getting a diesel. Of course his is a 7.3 though. Is Delo a good oil for the 6.0 or should I go with the Rotella?

4. How do "Green filters" rate with you guys. I know where K&N stands but I've had a Green in mine for a while. Should I put the original back in, I still have it (hardly used)?

5. On the 6.0 is changing the fuel filters just like changing the oil filter. Screw top off, remove old filter, replace o-ring and filter, screw top on. I have seen where it remarked about how hard it was. Didn't know if they were refering to the 7.3 or not.

Ok, this is enough questions........for now.

Boy, I feel like I'm taking a college class with all the reading, researching and stuff I'm learning.

Thanks

Ricky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2007, 09:08 PM
im fat and ugly

ok with the black smoke, its wasted fuel, its not neccesary bad but its fun to play with

the fuel filter has 2 componentsthe one you speak of and then theres one on the frame rail on the driver side
Old 02-12-2007, 09:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhpilot View Post
OK, I've searched and read for some of these answer and all I got was more questions. (there's more to this diesel stuff than I ever imagined)

1. I assume black smoke bellowing out of the exhaust on a diesel is a good thing. Just going by the pics on here and the lastest edition of Diesel Power mag.

2. I read something about cooling your turbo before shutting off your engine. And that repeated, short, quick starts and stops are bad. What is this all about?

3. I haven't seen Delo 400 mentioned much on here. This is what I have been using based on the advise of the guy whom actually talked me into getting a diesel. Of course his is a 7.3 though. Is Delo a good oil for the 6.0 or should I go with the Rotella?

4. How do "Green filters" rate with you guys. I know where K&N stands but I've had a Green in mine for a while. Should I put the original back in, I still have it (hardly used)?

5. On the 6.0 is changing the fuel filters just like changing the oil filter. Screw top off, remove old filter, replace o-ring and filter, screw top on. I have seen where it remarked about how hard it was. Didn't know if they were refering to the 7.3 or not.

Ok, this is enough questions........for now.

Boy, I feel like I'm taking a college class with all the reading, researching and stuff I'm learning.

Thanks

Ricky
1Thats when they have a chip in it 2thats to let the turbo cool down mainly when your towing.3 Delo i use it all my equipment it is good oil.4 have not heard of these5 that mite be the one along the frame.You will learn a lot and it like going back to college.Hope this help.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:19 PM

1. Black Smoke-good more power
2.Cooling turbo after hard run- good, lot of starts short trips- bad
3.dont know about delo, I run Rotella-good
4.take the green filter out basically same as K&N-bad,Put the original filterback in , Donaldson-good
5.Fuel filter on top is easy-good, fuel water seperator on frame kinda sucks if you dont have a lift or pit-bad
Old 02-12-2007, 09:23 PM
Nuckin' Futz

1. well black smoke is not good or bad...it means that you aren't completely burning your fuel...this could be fun to play with as stump said or it could be a symptom of insufficient air injestion...if you aren't intentionally making it smoke massive amounts.
2. Yes you need to let your turbo cool down...although modern diesels are designed for people who don't understand them you need to let your turbo cool down...you have to think that if you drive then shut right down...there is hot oil just sitting at your turbo bearings...if you let your engine idle for a bit before shutting down you give that oil a chance to cool. Quick runs are bad because they don't let the engine get hot enough to burn out all the build up. If you do this you will find that you will need to "spank" your engine as i call it where you will need to take it out and drive the pizz out of it to get all the gunk blown out.
3. Oil is personal preference...i suppose you could run a batch of delo get it analyzed and run a batch or Rotella T and get it analysed and see how the results compare...I love Rotella but thats just me.
4 The green filter is again personal preference...take it off and feel around inside the intake to see how much dust is getting through. I have an AFE because i liked the flow to filtration ratio.
5. Stump is right there are two fuel filters...had to do that myself today...one is the little one on top of the engine and the other is on the frame rail..which is not the easiest to change.

hope this helped alittle...keep asking questions thats the only way you and I or anyone else will expand thier PSD knowledge
Old 02-12-2007, 10:02 PM
CW4 Retired, US Army

Thanks guys,

I'll take the green filter out tommorow while I'm changing my fuel filters. I knew I had 2 fuel filters and where they were but I wasn't sure about how to do it.

Did not know about cooling the Turbo. I guess it is the same as when I land, I have a 2 minute cool down at idle before shutting down (it's a turbine engine after all).

Thanks again.

More questions to come
Old 02-12-2007, 10:07 PM

Very smiler to the cool down as your plane
Old 02-12-2007, 10:21 PM

Yea, besides welcome

I will supplement a couple of ideas there, pretty good job done..

Black smoke, yes, unburned wasted diesel, but fun.... Stumpy is right on...
On your drivers side just under your seat inside chassis rail is your "Transfer Priming Pump" and there is a 15 micron rough filter there... The main top of the engine filter is much finer, 5 micron from memory...

Oil filter is a breeze !!! Crack the lid a bit when you drain the oil, and the filter and housing run dry down to the pan. Easiest ever...

Now on the Turbo cool down. Two minutes in summer is about right, unless you are just coming off a fast highway or towing a big load, then you want to allow at least another minute. I have my Edge Juice Platinum module set at two minutes, but it I need more I sit there for a minute..

For a good understanding of this engine, go through the "6.0 PSD Bible" in the Tech files.. I have downloaded all 60 Megs to my Laptop for reference. That will get you started. Regards, Ranger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.