how to flush the cooling system on a 6.0? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2009, 12:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
how to flush the cooling system on a 6.0?

hey guys im wanting to do a cooling system flush on my 06 and install a coolant filter kit from diesel site, i was just wondering what is the proper way to do this, i would really like a ford techs insight on this. im a diesel tech for cummins central power and we always drain the system and add 1 gallon of a cleaning or degreasing agent made by fleetgaurd depending on the reason for the flush ie. oil in coolant, or just scale and rust removal etc. etc. and fill with water, run the engine to temp 205-210 long enough that the fan kicks on 3-4 times, then pinch off a heater hose to the heater core at the lower rad hose pull it off, put a garden hose where we removed the heater hose to the lower rad hose remove the rad cap, turn the water on and back flush it and powerwash the surge tank (degas bottle) out while doing so. then when the water coming out the cap is cold water and clean, we removed the garden hose and let the sytem drain out, hook the heater hose up, fill with straight water and run to temp ( just so the thermostat opens) to neutralize the remaing chemical, drain it out and fill with coolant or repeat the chemical flush is needed. this is how i have been trained to do it and it works but i like to do things the way the manufacturer wants it done if at all possible. so im all ears and curious how anyone else does this. thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2009, 06:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm interested too.

Back to the top for ya.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:37 AM

Your procedure sounds pretty thorough, I don't see anything wrong with it. The coolant filter is a good idea. When I did the coolant flush I did this:
1. Buy ~15 gallons of distilled water at the store. Also buy 4 gallons of Motorcraft Gold coolant concentrate.
2. Drop lower radiator hose and drain.
3. Fill up with distilled water.
4. Run to temp to open thermostat.
5. Repeat steps 2-4 until you get clear water from the system. Should be a total of 3-4 times, or more if you want.
6. After the last drain, fill with coolant. That should give you a 50/50 mix.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:16 AM

i also pulled out the plug in the block to make sure i got all the old stuff out. its on the drivers side just above the oil pan toward the back
Old 07-23-2009, 08:47 AM

i'll investigate my 6.0 this weekend and check this plug. I also want to make this flush.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.