Tranny Flush..or not...ack! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 06:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tranny Flush..or not...ack!

Ok so I was going to go and get my tranny flushed ('04 160k miles) and after doing some research I called the dealer to find out how they did their service (heated machine, filters..blah blah). Dude I spoke to said with this many miles he would recommend (strongly that is) to just drop the pan and change the filters, add new fluid. Looking at $250 for this job.

What say you? It sounds reasonable.. I'm not (currently) having ANY problems with the tranny.

Also I had him quote me for a coolant flush ($145).

Suggestions/Opinions!?

B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2009, 07:06 AM

I think 250 is way to high. Does your tranny fluid smell burnt if you snif the dip stick? If no then I would have it flushed. The pricipal behind what the mech said is good but either way your adding new tranny fluid to the system. Would you rather have 16 quarts of new fluid or 5 new quarts mixed with 160,000 mile old fluid. Plus there is no need to change fillter in the pan, it is a screen type fillter only used to stop large objects. You will need to replace the external fillter though, either way you go.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:10 AM

It was $325 for the flush and all of the filters. Didn't know about the internal filter..I could probably get that deducted from the price. When I bought the truck the mech I had look at it said the fluid didn't smell burnt.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:12 AM

I just had my trans serviced yesterday at the dealer. Mine only has 25k though. It cost about $300. They used some type of flush system thats supposed to take any varnish or debris out of entire system.

The only reason I can think of for not flushing with that amount of mileage is that sometimes the flush can move around metal particals that may cause problems if they dislodge from somewhere & end up in the valve body. I had that problem with a 1/2 ton truck I had. Trans was working fine until I had it flushed. It started acting up afterwards & thats what they told me caused the problem.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:16 AM

I need to get some tarrot cards...voodoo
Old 07-16-2009, 07:21 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I was quoted 325 for a BG syn tranny flush. I'm saving my pennies

I would say do the flush, and maybe drop the pan to clean the magnet in the pan, then flush it. See what kind of deal they'll give you on that
Old 07-16-2009, 07:24 AM

yeah heard some rumbling about BG but have read a lot of stuff about only using Mercon SP no matter what.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:44 AM

As i understand it. The reason some people say not to flush is:

Transmission fluid will turn to varnish if it gets to hot. The older the fluid the less ability it has not to turn to varnish with high temps.
New transmission fluid is a very, very, very, good cleaner. It will disolve, break up varnish.
So if you have a transmission with high millage you have a greater chance that some varnish may be present in the system. Theoretically if you do a complete flush the new fluid can start to disolve, break up old varnish. If enough stuff is set free it can then clogg valve bodies or stop or reduce flow of fluid to critical areas. That would be bad.

Some people think if you just drop the pan replace filter and add just enough new fluid to get back to normal. The new fluid will be just enough to revitalize the old fluid, but not dilluted enough not to break any varnish losse.

If your fluid smells burnt it is highly likly that varnish is present in system.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:56 AM
scuffs *****

Send a message via AIM to Tyler
I was thinking of having mine totally flushed as well. $100 in my town to have it done.

What is this magnet your talking about? Do the OBS have them?
Old 07-16-2009, 08:01 AM

The magnet is stuck to the pan on the inside, its job is to catch any metel going by. Not sure if a OBS has one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.