Need Help Please - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2009, 02:32 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need Help Please

I need some feedback on an issue I have with my 05 6.0L. The truck is surging and missing at idle. I took the truck to the dealer a couple of weeks ago as it's under warranty still. They told me it was getting irregular fuel flow and put on a new fuel pump..$100. Everything seemed fine for a few days and then last Thursday morning at a Mc Donald's drive-thru at 530am the truck died and would not start back. A $149 tow later the truck is at the dealer..again. Kept it a couple of days and called to say the only thing they could find was a communication error of some sort. The truck never threw a CEL and the tuner showed no codes. Truck was running like a top so come get it. Thirty minutes later, service adviser calls back and says as the tech was driving the truck back around it happened again..surging/missing. We want you to take the tuner off. The tuner is causing the problem. I'm thinking no sweat as they have never complained about the tuner but I know it is their prerogative to do so at any time and Ford will back them up and deny warranty work. I drive over on Saturday morning and remove the tuner. (It's a Banks and I know it is less than popular on here). They said they drove the truck for 40 miles yesterday and let it idle for an hour and it was smooth as silk. Come get it. It needed two batteries while there and after that and diagnostics and our discount( wife works for dealer)...$286. I get less than 10 miles from the dealer and it happens to me again. I drive right back and the tech comes out. He is stumped but he now says at least I know it is the truck not the tuner.

So, the truck is not throwing any codes. It has a miss and sometimes a bad surge (engine will rev a couple of hundred rpms) at idle and it is very intermittent. It's frustrating. When ever it starts to do this, when I try to accelerate, there is a couple of second pause before the truck reacts.

Does anybody have any suggestions for me? I actually want to suggest some things to the tech in a very respectful way. They have to duplicate the issue and it is so sporadic.

Thanks.

Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2009, 07:18 PM

Send a message via MSN to Power-Stroked
hmm..let me see..try a few of these things im not sure they will work but its a start in the right direction of something simple going very wrong.

-Reset the ECU by disconecting negative side of battery, leave off for 30 mins
-get the transmission flushed and try Royal Purple ATF, use royal purple for engine oil as well. best stuff to use imo.
-get a timing test done on it. can get this by visiting your local autozone or O'Rielys parts store. or if u have a gun to do it with, do it yourself
-check your glow plugs make sure all are firing correctly
-turn the ignition key over but do not start.......any codes ?
-make sure all your sensors are functioning properly. you can do this by using hot/cold water for stall starts.
-Replace fuel filter
-Put " heat " into your gas tank, removes trash and water deposits. can be purchased at any parts store.

run through this list and if u still have the same problems, u will be able to tell the tech that none of these are the problem ( dealerships will bend you over for the small stuff ) so try and do most of them yourself while you can.

As far as the tuner goes...the tuner can be the reasoning for the Slipping but the surging im not exactly sure. the tuner you are using does not have a way to tune the tranny, just the motor and depending on which setting you use it at. the higher the setting, the harsher it is on the tranny. and if possible. try returning all settings to a little below average.

-Hope this helps you. Goodluck with the truck man
Old 07-14-2009, 10:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

First - I have heard that Royal Purple works in our TorqShift trannies - BUT, I would only recommend the Mercon SP. It is factory fluid and works very well. The jury is still out on other tranny fluids. Is the TOW-HAUL light flashing?

Second - do not put HEAT in your FUEL tank. It contains alcohol and Ford specifically states to use a non-alcohol based additive (Stanadyne or Diesel Kleen are popular and good).

Third - if you had bad batteries, the low voltage could have damaged your FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module). There are usually quite a few codes thrown w/ a FICM failure.

What has been your practice on changing fuel filters?

Since you are still covered under warranty, your best bet is to keep the tuner off and be persistent w/ the dealership when it repeats itself. They can put a datalogger on it and then let you drive it until the symptoms repeat - that may help.

It could very well be sensor related, but you do not want to throw parts at it. You need specific codes or dealership tests to identify the root cause.

Last edited by bismic; 07-14-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

yes, definately leave the tuner off, if it's something serious they may get finicky and give you problems denying your warranty.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:18 AM

Thanks for the replies, guys. I will ask them to put a data logger on it since it is happening sporadically. I did have 2 bad batteries according to the dealer but they never got any codes from a bad FICM. Tow/Haul light is not flashing. They'll figure it out hopefully. Even when the truck wouldn't start the other day, by the time they got the truck into the shop and jumped my battery, it fired right up and no codes stored. I'll post what they find. Thanks again.

Chris
Old 07-15-2009, 01:26 AM
Tennessee Powerstrokes

Just a thought although I am mistified at the fact there are no codes, Check the egr valve if it is stuck or perhaps bad it will cause the motor to surge.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:31 AM

<<I am mistified at the fact there are no codes>>

Yeah, me too. That is why I'm thinking it is something not related to a sensor.

Thanks.

Chris
Old 07-17-2009, 04:04 PM

Update- Got the truck back for the 4th time yesterday and when I got home it was surging and cutting out again. Tried to restart 5 minutes later and it wouldn't start. Unfortunately, the tech had seen the truck do it's thing a time or two but could not find anything wrong. This morning, the truck started and off I went to the dealer. I was bound and determined that I would "duplicate the concern" if it took me all day. Sure enough, I drove it about 10 miles and then circled the lot (huge lot..5 dealerships) and it started doing the surging. I told the adviser I wanted the service manager or a tech to ride with me. They sent out the lead tech with the laptop and we sat in the truck for about 10 minutes. He could see my readings were fluctuating pretty bad but all within the range thus not throwing any codes. He went under the hood and disconnected the ICP sensor. Truck was smooth as silk. Drove the truck back home today with a new ICP sensor and connector and it was flawless. Finally!!

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.