Concerned about carfax report - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2009, 07:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Concerned about carfax report

I'm looking at getting my first deisel, a '06 F 350 with an odometer reading of 43,300 miles. Carfax shows it to have about 70,000 miles but also states it maybe a clerical error. I'm NO mechanic by any means, the engine looks clean, it drives good. Should I be concerned with the difference in mileage? What should I look for?
Thanks in advance for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2009, 08:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would get an Oasis report from Ford. The oasis report is Fords vehicle history report. Just get the VIN # off the truck and go to the local Ford dealer and ask for a FREE Oasis report.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
NEVER trust carfax. It's a scam.

I've had bad wrecks in the past that did not show up on carfax reports, even years afterward.

Here's more
CARFAX: Not Always All the Facts
Old 08-01-2009, 04:27 PM
Banned

You do have to be very careful with carfax, they have made some huge mistakes-two listings I had were supposed to be one owners when in fact they had multiple owners....
Old 08-01-2009, 04:49 PM

Before i bought my truck i did a carfax report and it said it was all clean. then after i bought it i noticed it had been wrecked and repainted.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:52 PM

carfax isnt always right. i use to buy and sell cars at a b lot and sometimes they were way wrong
Old 08-01-2009, 06:59 PM

I ran a few carfaxes on several cars that where only a few thousand from being totaled (my Suburban, my old Camaro, a buddies Tahoe and my brothers truck) none of them showed anything about being wrecked. Look at the Carfax guarantee it is very limited and only covers a few things really. I would have a mechanic look at it for sure. look for over spray on anything, look to see if the paint has been blended you can look at the door jambs, (only really good body shops ever repaint those unless absolutly needed) and see if they match the outside of the door. If the orange peel is diferent from one body panel to another that could be a sign too. remember the body is really not much more than a place to hold the paint, just make sure the frame and the stucture is good and you should be fine.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000 7.3 6speed View Post
Before i bought my truck i did a carfax report and it said it was all clean. then after i bought it i noticed it had been wrecked and repainted.
I had a 95 z71 that was in at least 2 if not 3 bad accidents, one of them was mine. When I was looking for a replacement I had signed up for the unlimited reports from carfax and out of curiosity I looked up my chevy, to my surprise there were ZERO reports of any accidents or collisions. It was all title/document type stuff.

See they suck you in and swindle your money out of your pocket. You go to their page, type in a vin and suddenly it has the exclamation point saying that there are x amount of records that you should see about this vehicle......then you pay the $ only to find out that it's just a bunch of title/registration/documentation crap and there aren't any listed accidents or losses. I can't believe I've never seen a show like 60 minutes or dateline do an investigative report about them. As terrible as it is, you'd think they'd have exposed it by now. IDK, maybe someone already has and I'm just missing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.