New to me truck...? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to me truck...?

Hi

I'm looking to buy my first diesel...I found this on autotrader

2004 Ford F350 in Cary, IL 60013: Truck Details - 264747389 - AutoTrader.com

2004 - 90K miles - $17.5K

Questions I have asked and he has answered...any red flags? any other questions I should ask?

What did you primarily use it for? Daily driver? Typical Chicago commuter traffic or out on the “open” interstate? No Chicago commuter traffic, just local, many of the miles are from highway and travelling to central Wisconsin and the Michigan UP.
Ever do any plowing with it? Never

How much towing have you done with it? Towing what? Boat, car hauler, camper…? Towing snowmobiles and waverunners, nothing heavy.

The 6.0 has a not so good reputation…Have you had any troubles with it? Nothing major.

Have you had to have anything done that was covered under warranty? Yes, EGR sensor, camshaft sensor, and refresh the computer.

How much do the tires have left? 50 - 60% left. They are Michelin LTX.

How about other things that may need to be done soon like brakes, ball joints, tranny flush, oil change, fuel filter change, etc… Brakes were done recently, has new ball joints, tranny was flushed every 20,000 miles with all synthetic Amsoil products, oil changed every 5,000 miles using synthetic Amsoil products, oil changed in the differentials and the transfer case every 30,000 miles using synthetic Amsoil products.

I don’t think they offered it in 2004 but does this truck happen to have the Ford “Tow Command” option with the integrated trailer brake? Yes, the truck has this.
What kind of mileage are you able to squeeze out of it? Hwy?14-16 City? 10-12 Towing? 10-12 approx. Also, approx. 18 highwy with economy program.
Do you have any kind of chip/tuner on it or have you ever had one on it? Yes, I have one but not using it currently. Used it when diesel went over $5 a gallon. Generally keep it in stock configuration. Has tons of power and great towing ability.
Any other option/accessories you can tell me about? Fully loaded, plus oversized fuel tank and new springs.
Firm on price? If room to move what’s your bottom dollar? My bottom dollar is $17,500 without the following which will be included in the $18,500 price - additional new set of tires, programmer, and used seat covers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2009, 07:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Only thing that I see as a potential redflag would be the amsoil trans flush. Havent heard anything good or bad from using other than motorcraft in the trans, but most guys on here harp about using motorcrap only in that trans.

And I would check what kind of programmer he is using. If its not a custom tune of some sort then its probably not worth being included for 1k$ extra.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:06 PM
Premium Member

Looks like a sharp truck, id make sure theres no rust underneath. The 1000 extra may be worth a new set of tires... depending on tire size and brand...
Old 07-13-2009, 08:17 PM

If a truck ever doesn't need a spoiler I think it would be that one. Do you really need high speed down force Nice truck other than the spoiler though.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to Nally7.3Powerstroke
very clean looking truck. not sure how that year 6.0 enine performed, may want to look into that one a little more.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Hi

Right now I'm leaning towards no new tires/programmer/seat covers...I've got a source of inexpensive tires...though it would be nice to have one less thing to worry about...roll it into the loan...I am checking on tire size...

and programmer...

and a VIN and then see if the local Ford garage can run an OASIS report...

and asked for more pictures including the undercarriage...

Would probably ditch the tonneau cover right away unless I can run it without the spoiler...just looks weird to me...

Other thoughts?

What's a good sequence of events for a test drive...things to look at, ways to drive, etc...

Tough to say without seeing/driving but seem like a good deal for 17.5? Little high? Little low?

Thanks for any more info/input you can give me!

Already planning mods...

Patrick
Old 07-14-2009, 03:39 AM

offer 16k even and play the waiting game.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I thought he was pretty upfront when I asked him what his bottom dollar was...and a recent email gives me the perception that he doesn't need to sell it right away...

Here are some more of my questions and his answers...any red flags or other thoughts...?

A couple more questions…

What size are the wheels/tires? 285/75 R16

You said for 18,500 you’d put new tires on? The other set of tires are on a new set of rims (18") and I planned on just putting them in the back of the truck.

Which programmer do you have and occasionally use? Super Chips

Does the rear sliding window happen to be power? Not power.

4x4 switch on the dash or floor? Dash Manual or automatic hubs (looked like manual from the pictures but couldn’t tell for sure)? Can lock them in automatic to be able to operate from the inside of the truck.

When you said nothing major done under warranty are you talking about just what you listed (EGR and cam sensor, computer refresh)? Nothing like a blown head gasket, new turbo, replaced the whole motor and tranny cuz you blew it up racing a snowmobile across a lake up north J No, nothing other than the EGR, cam sensor, computer refresh.

Any type of bed liner under the tonneau cover? Plastic? Linex or Rhino? Yes, Rhino spray on liner.

Due for another tranny flush at 90K miles or have you just done it (mileage of truck right at, just shy or a bit more than 90K)? Tranny flush just done. The exact mileage right now is 91,223.

Are you a mechanic? Own/manage/work at the shop and car wash where the pictures where taken? I own the shop/car wash.

Why are you selling? Upgrading? If buying a new diesel…are you going with Ford again or going with a different make? Still have other Ford diesel trucks and a GMC diesel for both business and personal use.

What's the VIN#? 1FTSW31P14ED04564 (anyone want to run it through carfax or OASIS for me? er no?)

Last edited by OIIIIIIIO; 07-14-2009 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Hi

Guy originally says it has the Tow Command option. I didn't think it was available until 2005 (the truck is a 2004).

Got some interior and dash pictures from his...doesn't have the trailer brake controller where I think I'm accustom to seeing it...in that "pocket" to the bottom and right of the steering wheel...

So...did they offer the Tow Command in 2004? Would it have been in a different spot than on the dash to the bottom and right of the steering wheel?

Thanks,
Patrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.