U0638 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2009, 03:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
U0638

I've tried searching for this... I cant find anything with this code related to a powerstroke! Truck is an 04 extended cab 6.0 auto, 105k miles, bullydog triple downloader tuner, straight piped, also running a vegi-stroke. Other than that, truck is stock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2009, 06:48 PM
Premium Member

Its a can bus communication code. Most likely from that tuner.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEWILLE View Post
Its a can bus communication code. Most likely from that tuner.
Can you elaborate? Why would it come on now? They've had this tuner on for more than a year. They usually run it on a "medium" setting for mileage reasons and because driving it stock sucks. They know better than to crank it all the way up because the transmission wont work properly with it that high.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:38 AM

i get that code all the time with mine but it doesnt affect the way it runs so i just leave it alone
Old 07-14-2009, 08:12 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

are you sure that code hasnt been in there , or is there a reason why the code was pulled , truck not running right or what
Old 07-14-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUFFY828 View Post
are you sure that code hasnt been in there , or is there a reason why the code was pulled , truck not running right or what

I'm sure the code wasn't there, he reads and clears codes almost daily.

The check engine light was on. Not sure if it was on for something else or for this. I know the EGR code comes up all the time now because we just did the EGR delete and the bullydog doesn't shut that code off. The truck is running great now. They just towed 10,000 lbs this past weekend and it didn't puke coolant once! They are still having a starting issue, where the glow plugs sound weak and it idles rough until it warms up, then runs fine.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:12 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

6.0 doesnt give glow plug problems, sounds like the truck needs the latest reflash for cold start issues , for that , i doubt that code is why the light is on, sometimes tuner will set that code , egr is proably the reason for that , if its running fine , drive it
Old 07-14-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
6.0 doesnt give glow plug problems, sounds like the truck needs the latest reflash for cold start issues , for that , i doubt that code is why the light is on, sometimes tuner will set that code , egr is proably the reason for that , if its running fine , drive it
A truck that is running fine shouldn't be throwing CEL's every day though! We know why the EGR code is being thrown, he is looking at purchasing an SCT (like I told him to do a year ago) to get rid of that.

The truck just got a new FICM as well.

How can we tell if it has the latest flash or not? It didn't always have this issue, just more recently.

What do I tell him about the code then? It means nothing, just keep driving it? I'd like to think some day he can drive his 6.0 without having the CEL stare him in the face...

Thanks for the help so far guys.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:39 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdub707 View Post
A truck that is running fine shouldn't be throwing CEL's every day though! We know why the EGR code is being thrown, he is looking at purchasing an SCT (like I told him to do a year ago) to get rid of that.

The truck just got a new FICM as well.

How can we tell if it has the latest flash or not? It didn't always have this issue, just more recently.

What do I tell him about the code then? It means nothing, just keep driving it? I'd like to think some day he can drive his 6.0 without having the CEL stare him in the face...

Thanks for the help so far guys.
fords ids scanner will tell in just a second if it has an update or not , i do agree that the truck shouldnt have a light ,but what i should have said was if he has plans on getting custom tunes with egr taken out then first get truck updated to latest calibration , if it just had a ficm replaced , it should have latest calibation , and he may actually have an injector goin bad and sticking cold,thats is probably his cold start problem, they can find that also on powr balance with ids when engine is cold if an injector is skipping cold or not, then once that is taken care of get the tunes and put in the truck , and see if light comes back on then, until egr is taken out of tuning i wouldnt waste alot of time on trying to fix anything , hope this makes a little more since, i can get into further detail, but woud rather disuss it by phone if so, pm me you number and i will call, its hard to explain alot of things on the net
Old 07-14-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
fords ids scanner will tell in just a second if it has an update or not , i do agree that the truck shouldnt have a light ,but what i should have said was if he has plans on getting custom tunes with egr taken out then first get truck updated to latest calibration , if it just had a ficm replaced , it should have latest calibation , and he may actually have an injector goin bad and sticking cold,thats is probably his cold start problem, they can find that also on powr balance with ids when engine is cold if an injector is skipping cold or not, then once that is taken care of get the tunes and put in the truck , and see if light comes back on then, until egr is taken out of tuning i wouldnt waste alot of time on trying to fix anything , hope this makes a little more since, i can get into further detail, but woud rather disuss it by phone if so, pm me you number and i will call, its hard to explain alot of things on the net
Ok will do! Appreciate it!

Just got off the phone with him. He had the truck in the dealer again to assess the hard start rough idle issue. This dealer says injector #2 has an intermittent miss. Sounds like we should replace it. The last dealer told us 2,4,6,8 were bad, then we told them the FICM was, they replaced the FICM, truck ran great, but they still told us 2,4 were missing intermittently, now its just #2 I guess.... AHHH. I wish I had the tools some of the "diesel techs" in our local dealerships had, it would be so much easier! The tech even asked us questions about the EGR delete, he was amazed by it. He then went on to tell us he does more work on 6.4's now than 6.0's. ummm ok.

Ok so since my buddy and I are rather thick headed, we like to prove the issues out first, before just tossing money at the trucks. With MY SCT and the liveload software is there anyway we can monitor and see which injector if any is actually missing...? What parameters would we need to watch?

Thanks everyone for the help so far.

Scuffy, I'm shootin you a PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.