egr bypass, do you unplug the egr valve? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2009, 02:43 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
egr bypass, do you unplug the egr valve?

I have an 04 F250 and just had the oil cooler, egr cooler and radiator replaced. I am looking at installing an egr cooler bypass from either RCD or Elite. I was wondering if the egr valve itself should be left plugged or unplugged. I have a extra valve that is welded shut, should I use it? I don't want to do the full delete kit yet because my egr cooler was just replaced, I am hoping the up-pipe bypass kit will at least prolong the life of my cooler. Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2009, 03:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abrannan19
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeitlasts View Post
I have an 04 F250 and just had the oil cooler, egr cooler and radiator replaced. I am looking at installing an egr cooler bypass from either RCD or Elite. I was wondering if the egr valve itself should be left plugged or unplugged. I have a extra valve that is welded shut, should I use it? I don't want to do the full delete kit yet because my egr cooler was just replaced, I am hoping the up-pipe bypass kit will at least prolong the life of my cooler. Thanks for any help.
You can leave it plugged in, or you can unplug it or you can leave it plugged in and welded. Its really just personal preference If you happen to have a SCT it will disable the EGR valve anyways.

Just so you know, we offer a EGR up pipe block off's too.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:15 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks I will check out you're site. I have heard that unplugging the egr valve can lead to "Hot Flashes" in the system, is that possible with the bypass of the cooler?
Old 07-12-2009, 03:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abrannan19
unplugging the EGR valve will not cause hot flashes. Unfortunately our website it down for maintenance right now..

Here is a picture of our up pipe, as well as a description that would normally be found on the website.

Quote:
FCDP offers a solid up pipe, we are the originators of the solid up pipe, we have been duplicated several times, but we were the first on the market to do this. After cracking multiple flex sections after the EGR cooler was blocked off, we designed this up pipe.
The FCDP up pipe takes a stock EGR up pipe and removes the EGR cooler “y” , flex section and internal scoop on 05^ style trucks. This method is the best available. This EGR up pipe is merely a block off of heat, gases and pressure from entering the backside of the EGR cooler, this will drastically prolong EGR cooler life and will get you the distance away from the backside of the EGR cooler that you need to keep heat from soaking into the EGR cooler. With our solid up pipe we supply a cap for the backside of the EGR cooler. Other methods you see leave the flex section in and just take the “y” off, with time this method will surely fail, due to the fact that the EGR “Y” is a support for over 2’ of pipe, once its removed the next weak link is the flex section. With the heat that these trucks produce, vibrations and movement, this flex section will crack. This is why we designed the rigid up pipe, when the EGR is deleted FCDP’s way, the rigid pipe gives the support tat the 2’ of pipe needs. We have had these rigid pipes installed on our trucks for several problem free years. With this style block off, if your EGR cooler is bad, this is not the fix, you will need the Full EGR delete kit.

Also here at FCDP we see a lot of people use a plate or freeze plug to block off the gases and heat from entering the EGR cooler. This method is far from the right way. With this method you will get heat soaking through that thin metal plate right back into the EGR cooler, exactly what you are trying to stop. Just illustration purposes consider 600-800* of exhaust gases hitting against the plate, here is where you see what we are talking about. And with blocking off the EGR cooler this way and leaving the “y” section you create a vertex of air, its trying to get into the EGR cooler through the “Y” but then hits the plate and has to come back out and then up, its very inefficient. With simply using the freeze plug on the 05^ trucks that internal scoop found on your up pipes acts as a torch on that thin metal plate and overtime it will melt, we have seen it happen time after time.

our up pipe and cap runs 200.00 shipped.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:41 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeitlasts View Post
Thanks I will check out you're site. I have heard that unplugging the egr valve can lead to "Hot Flashes" in the system, is that possible with the bypass of the cooler?
You are talking about flash boiling the coolant. Yes simply unplugging the EGR valve could cause you to boil the coolant flowing through the EGR cooler due to trapping the hot exhaust gases inside the EGR cooler with no way out.

You should block this exhaust flow by modding the EGR up-pipe with a welded in 1.5" round steel disc. You should be able to find some scrap round stock that you can use for this disc. You may get a CEL or code when you unplug the EGR valve so if you have an SCT you need to talk to your tuner about what they can do to the EGR valve operation with their tuning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.