Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Tow/Haul VS Normal = Trans Damage?

3K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Torque 
#1 ·
I'm new to this site & love. Lots of good info. I do have a question though. I have a totally stock 2006 Power Stroke 6.0. with approx 25k miles on it. I have the Tow/Haul mode button on the shifter. I mainly use my truck to haul a 30ft travel trailer. I'm guessing it weighs about 5 or 6k. I don't like using the haul mode due to the long spacing & higher RPMs before shifting to the next gear. The haul mode also seems to kill my MPG due to the long holding shift points. I normally only use the haul mode for the Jake when slowing down or stopping. The Trk. pulls just fine in Normal mode with no problems. My question is will using the normal shift mode with a HEAVY load cause extra heat, slippage or damage to the trans? Also what's the easiest way to determine what type of automatic trans I have. Is it on the drivers door jam? What type is the prefered or considered the best Trans. model?

#2 ·
i have towed about 7k with my truck with out the tow/haul mode on and did fine but it is better to use it. or atlest use it when in traffic or city with a lot of stop and go. and all 6.0's have the 5r110 aka torque shift.

#4 ·
[ I mainly use my truck to haul a 30ft travel trailer. I'm guessing it weighs about 5 or 6k.

You may or may not know--there is a template on the camper that tells you the weight. Unless its a featherlight, 6k sounds pretty light for a 30ft. I have a 32ft 5vr and it weight 9800 dry and empty. Glad for the post, though. In the gasser, I always used the T/H setting. Assumed I would with psd, but havnt pulled the hurricane haven yet:rofl:

#8 ·
I have '08's, but it has virtually the same 5R110 transmission. The only towing I don't use tow/haul for is when I'm pulling my horse trailer. It is too jerky on the animals. The torque converter locking will just about rattle your teeth out, and I won't do that to the horses/mules/camels/donkeys/etc.. Every other load gets tow/haul mode on. I even use it when I get 2 tons of feed in my bed. Lately I have been getting 4 tons, so I have to use a trailer. But that gets tow/haul mode too.

#9 ·
You probably would get better fuel mileage if you don't use tow/haul mode but you'll get worse transmission mileage and you can buy allot of fuel for the price of a transmission. T/H mode not only changes the shift points it boosts the line pressure and changes the clutch release/apply timing to firms up the shifts and keep your transmission alive. Use it. That's what it's for. As always, the best thing you can do to improve the fuel mileage is to us a light foot on the throttle.

#11 ·
I use a tow program that helps the truck out a lot. In town driving I agree the tow haul is miserable so I will generally shut it off. The program uses the turbo to slow me and that in combination with tow haul is great when coming down from highway speeds. I use a tow program that tunes the tranny so I only use tow haul for what I need it for and shut it off in town. 2nd or 3rd gear at 40 is way to many rpms to cruise at I think

#14 ·
I thought you were joking about the camels too. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.