Tow/Haul VS Normal = Trans Damage? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2009, 11:36 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tow/Haul VS Normal = Trans Damage?

I'm new to this site & love. Lots of good info. I do have a question though. I have a totally stock 2006 Power Stroke 6.0. with approx 25k miles on it. I have the Tow/Haul mode button on the shifter. I mainly use my truck to haul a 30ft travel trailer. I'm guessing it weighs about 5 or 6k. I don't like using the haul mode due to the long spacing & higher RPMs before shifting to the next gear. The haul mode also seems to kill my MPG due to the long holding shift points. I normally only use the haul mode for the Jake when slowing down or stopping. The Trk. pulls just fine in Normal mode with no problems. My question is will using the normal shift mode with a HEAVY load cause extra heat, slippage or damage to the trans? Also what's the easiest way to determine what type of automatic trans I have. Is it on the drivers door jam? What type is the prefered or considered the best Trans. model?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2009, 12:23 PM
Chapter Director

i have towed about 7k with my truck with out the tow/haul mode on and did fine but it is better to use it. or atlest use it when in traffic or city with a lot of stop and go. and all 6.0's have the 5r110 aka torque shift.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

tow haul is amazing, but not whan the eng is cold. Once the eng is 150 and up its good.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:07 PM
Premium Member

[ I mainly use my truck to haul a 30ft travel trailer. I'm guessing it weighs about 5 or 6k.

You may or may not know--there is a template on the camper that tells you the weight. Unless its a featherlight, 6k sounds pretty light for a 30ft. I have a 32ft 5vr and it weight 9800 dry and empty. Glad for the post, though. In the gasser, I always used the T/H setting. Assumed I would with psd, but havnt pulled the hurricane haven yet
Old 07-10-2009, 05:34 AM

I have the same question on the 04. Always use tow/haul but curious if mpg would improve without it. Seems to have a lot higher RPM's.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:39 AM
wriott

use the tow/haul. thats what it was ment for and why risk tearing up the trans??? be safe and use it
Old 07-10-2009, 05:40 AM
Premium Member

I used it when I was in hills or going through town, if I was on fairly flat ground I usually kicked it out of t/h
Old 07-10-2009, 05:49 AM
Emergency Services

I have '08's, but it has virtually the same 5R110 transmission. The only towing I don't use tow/haul for is when I'm pulling my horse trailer. It is too jerky on the animals. The torque converter locking will just about rattle your teeth out, and I won't do that to the horses/mules/camels/donkeys/etc.. Every other load gets tow/haul mode on. I even use it when I get 2 tons of feed in my bed. Lately I have been getting 4 tons, so I have to use a trailer. But that gets tow/haul mode too.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:16 AM

You probably would get better fuel mileage if you don't use tow/haul mode but you'll get worse transmission mileage and you can buy allot of fuel for the price of a transmission. T/H mode not only changes the shift points it boosts the line pressure and changes the clutch release/apply timing to firms up the shifts and keep your transmission alive. Use it. That's what it's for. As always, the best thing you can do to improve the fuel mileage is to us a light foot on the throttle.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibenson View Post
I have '08's, but it has virtually the same 5R110 transmission. The only towing I don't use tow/haul for is when I'm pulling my horse trailer. It is too jerky on the animals. The torque converter locking will just about rattle your teeth out, and I won't do that to the horses/mules/camels/donkeys/etc.. Every other load gets tow/haul mode on. I even use it when I get 2 tons of feed in my bed. Lately I have been getting 4 tons, so I have to use a trailer. But that gets tow/haul mode too.
Camels????You got camels grazeing around in Texas???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.