custom exhaust in Il - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2009, 02:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
custom exhaust in Il

I'm from IL and I would like a custom exhaust, but I dont know if removing the cat is legalor not.I'd like to do it if I can find a shop,and if it is legal,but I'm not sure about the emission laws and regulations on diesels.Also can running no cat have any bad consequences(sp)? Hopefully not.
I would also like to hear from some people that have done it and what kind of mufflers you guys are running if any.

I'm so "in the dark" about this stuff I don't even know if I should be talking about it,so please take it easy on me.

Thanks,
Jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Lt. Negativity

Simple way to do this, get yourself a MBRP Turbo back, with a cat delete. IM running mine straight piped to a stack. Do you do emissions on your truck ? if not dont worry about it.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Premium Member

i live in beloit wi. just over ill. state line. I had dalmins in south beloit illinois install my diamond eye turbo back straight pipe and they had no problem with no cat or muffler(said not all diesels have cats so its no big deal). i've taken cats off almost every truck i've owned without any issues. its all up 2 you if ya want too...
Old 07-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What is a MBRP,where do I get one,and how much? A website would be great.

thanks,
Jason
Old 07-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

MBRP is nice
Old 07-06-2009, 06:27 PM

I have MBRP turbo back CAT delete, and I live in California...... I think you'll be just fine! MBRP Inc Performance Exhaust - Snowmobile, Diesel, Muscle Car, Exotic, Motorcycle and Sport Truck Exhaust Systems.

Last edited by SixGunninPowerstroke; 07-06-2009 at 06:30 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 07-06-2009, 07:48 PM

Just ordered an MPRB from a local Illinois shop. Got a great deal on it since they do so many. They're in the city where they have emissions tests and they told me deleting the cat isn't a big deal. Deleting the DPF is a big deal.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:24 AM

The staight up answer is removing the cat is illegal...it is a federal law that emissions equipment must stay in place.

With that said, many people remove them. I'm not sure what the other exhaust companies offer, but MBRP has a few options for ditching the kitty.

First, you can get a standard cat-back and then add the cat test pipe...basically a delete pipe. This is nice because if you would need to put the cat back in for emission testing, it is a fairly simple deal.

Second, you could get a turbo back and add the cat delete pipe...same as above, except you get the downpipe.

Third, and also the route that I went, is the turbo back off-road kit. There is no provision to re-install the cat in this system.

Which you choose is up to you though.

As for your questions, removing the cat will not hurt anything as far as the engine goes. Some say it helps performance, I personally don't think it did much for me except help lower the egts some. DO NOT just gut it and throw it back up there...no reason to waste a good cat when there are other options. Besides, you may need it someday.

I ran my truck for about 2 years with this exhaust and the MBRP muffler. I liked it, but I wanted a little more. I thought about turning the muffler backwards, which would have made it a little louder, but I decided to just get the muffler delete pipe...I LOVE IT. It is louder, it really sounds like a jet engine, but when I get into it, it really talks. Well, more like it yells. But just driving normally I really can't tell much differance with the windows up. My only regret is not getting the muffler delete sooner.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Groundhawg,I checked out the MBRP website and found the exhaust and system that I'd like .Prices seemed pretty good and the best part is that I can do this mod myself,with limited tools and equipment.

Thanks to everyone that responded with ,
Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.