What is the proper way to flush and change coolant in the 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2009, 10:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What is the proper way to flush and change coolant in the 6.0

Just recieved a letter from Ford about service intervals on my diesel and they have changed. Now they want the coolant tested every six months and the cooling system flushed and changed every 45,000 miles. I've searched the site and I could not find guidelines or instructions for flushing the cooling system and refilling with fresh mix on the 6.0. I did find one for the 7.3 but I don't know if it would be the same. Can anybody help me with this? I'd take it to the dealer but work is slow and I seem to have more time than money right now so I guess I'll do this one myself and I want to do it right!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2009, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
i have never done a flush on my truck, but i would think you could drain, flush and refill just like any other vehicle doing it yourself. i dont see a reason to have a shop do it other than convenience..
Old 07-03-2009, 05:37 AM

drain it. measure how much comes out
full with new distilled water. maybe add a cleaner
drain, measure
fill with distilled.
drain, measure
STOP....
there are 27 Quarts in the cooling system. Put 13.5 Quarts of MOTORCRAFT coolant. than add the rest with distilled water. I didn't clarify how much distiled water because there is already an unknown amount of residual water in the truck. But if you measured how much you took out the last time you have a good guess. So just keep adding water till you reach your level mark.

I recommend putting Royal Purple coolant additive it helps allot. I'm running it now.

Last edited by smokersteve; 07-03-2009 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:41 AM

let truck cool down. drain radiator. refill with water start and run truck to operating temp shut down let cool and drain rad. do this a few times to where you feel it is as clean as its gonna get. make sure you use the PROPER coolant. dont worry bout the mix as seein you will have only water in the motor. it will mix itself once it gets to operating temp again. pour coolant in strait coolant. let run with rad cap off to help "burp" the system. fill to the "new" max line on res. and be done with it. use water wetter or purple ice. helps alot
Old 07-03-2009, 09:09 AM

NC Hornet had a real thorough write up in the 7.3 subforum but I did not see anything in the 6.0 subforum. NC Hornet listed removing the drain plugs in the block on the 7.3, I guess that's not part of the procedure on the 6.0? He also listed taking out the thermostat for the flush procedure and taping into the heater core hose with a garden hose to flush the system. How many gallons of coolant do I need for the 6.0?
Old 07-03-2009, 09:40 AM

yes, you must remove the thermostat to get a proper flush. you can also but kits which plum into your lines and make it easier. as far as capacity, check the owner's mmanual. i can't remember off the top of my head...LOL
Old 07-03-2009, 02:44 PM

Does somebody have or make a flushkit specifically for the 6.0?
Old 07-03-2009, 02:52 PM

Here is a procedure I copied from another Forum:

1) Buy 4 gallons of Ford Premium Gold coolant at dealer (or Zerex G05)

2) Buy 15 gallons of distilled water at local grocery store.

3) Drop lower radiator hose until empty.

4) Reconnect hose and add distilled water to degas bottle until full.

5) Drive truck until temp guage goes to normal and thermostat opens.

6) Repeat steps #3 through #5 no less than 4 or 5 times (depends on distilled water amaount used) - I can't remember?

7) You now have 100% distilled water in your system.

8) Drop lower hose 1 last time, drain and reconnect.

9) Look in manual for your system capacity and for a 50/50% refill of coolant just add the coolant straight into your degas bottle up to the amount that equals a 50/50% concentration. Our refill capacity is 27.5 quarts.

10) Start motor and add distilled water to bring system level to the MIN mark on degas bottle.

11) Drive truck around to open thermostat and let cool 1 or twice to purge any air. May need to add more distilled water (don't add coolant)... but when done you have flushed your entire system and have a perfect 50/50% concentration of coolant and distilled water!!!!

The dealer only uses tap water and so does most other places... distilled is best in order to keep the minerals out of your system.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:33 PM

crap, we now gotta flush the cooling system every 45k miles?!
Old 07-03-2009, 03:49 PM

The manual states it will go 105k at first and then change it every 45k after that. The reason for this is that the dealerships will fill the system back up w/ tap water. The minerals in the tap water reduce the life. If you use distilled water you should be OK to go well past 45k.

Ford's recent mailing pretty much states to test the coolant strength every 45k (or every 15k optional). They state to add supplemental coolant additive (VC-8) if the nitrite strength is between 300 ppm and 800 ppm. They state to flush the coolant if the nitirite strength is below 300 ppm.

I believe the main issue is that combustion gasses getting into the coolant (leaking head gaskets and EGR cooler leaks) deplete the strength of the coolant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.