BPD 7.3 fan clutch install

17K views 86 replies 19 participants last post by  Master_Chase 
#1 ·
Just got it in the mail so here goes.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: Heavy_GD
#2 ·
It's a shame the best looking parts from BPD are always hidden.

Now to take my fan/clutch off.

Attachments

Reactions: ZMANN and shughey00
#3 ·
I really want to do this mod because when I tow the oil and coolant temps get pretty high and I'm not hearing the fan until I hit 220-225 on my coolant temp. Since you just installed it I am curious about your opinion On around town fan noise, is it a lot louder than before?

#4 ·
I have the same project lined up for this weekend. Along with the blue spring mod, replace the serp belt, upgrading the alternator and replacing the starter cable since mine is broken at one of the battery terminals. I also have to replace a valve on my transfer tank and getting covered in diesel fuel is always fun. I hauled my camper this weekend and my oil temps hit 229* and the fan never came on. I am pretty sure it bit the dust the last time I hauled the camper.

#5 ·
This WILL DEFINITELY help. Make sure you post up your reaults. My stock clutch would kick into high gear about 230 and then cool to 195 befor it shut down. You might as well add the 6.4 starter to that list while your in there. It was incredibly easy to install and totally worth it.

I really want to do this mod because when I tow the oil and coolant temps get pretty high and I'm not hearing the fan until I hit 220-225 on my coolant temp. Since you just installed it I am curious about your opinion On around town fan noise, is it a lot louder than before?
I honestly don't hear it but you have to realize I have a 5 inch exhust with no cat or muffler. Mostly all I hear is turbo and a deep growl all the time.

#10 ·
My truck is straight piped and that along with the KC stageII, I don't think the extra noise will bug me.:rofl:

#8 ·
Between this, warren injecprst and the 6.4 starter I am absolutely in love with my truck all over again

#9 ·
I have been putting off the install because I have been so friggin busy. I have the BPD water pump, fan clutch and adapter to do all at once. I was going to wait until I did the BPD oil cooler in the winter.

I think I am done waiting. The OEM fan clutch is unpredictable and allows my truck to get into the 230+ ECT on long pulls with the AC on.......done with that for sure.

#12 ·
I admit there are times it is loud but its a tow vehicle and the more I can do to help it live a happy life, I will try.

I have my full exhaust up in the rafters but you'd be surprised how quick the EGT's climb with a CAT installed.

#13 ·
Yea...it is a bit loud but not deal breaker loud for me.

#15 ·
If this makes sense the cooling is more fluid now. The fan responds a lot quicker to temperature rise then it did with the electrical one. Only thing I am noticing I don't like is that I have codes about the fan

#17 ·
Totally makes sense. The OEM fan from NEW was a POS IMO. Matt at gearhead mentioned that some strategies in the early years (2004-2006) were very conservative for fan operation so I am assuming I fell into that category.

I am so excited to install the fan. The fan you buy from BPD is a severe duty RV fan which engages @ 80-90% solid when it is needed. I cross referenced the fan and confirmed it with BPD. You cannot go wrong with this fan IMO "IF" you actually use your rig for towing heavy in warm(er) climates.

#19 ·
Didn't need to. Did that when I did the BPD waterpump a when back.

#20 ·
Good reminder. I just rebuilt all the pullies with new bearings so I have to chock that up to next time when I do the fan

#21 ·
I have the dieselsite steel water pump. Will the BPD 7.3 adapter bolt up so I can use the 7.3 clutch, or do I have to buy the BPD water pump?

#22 ·
If your stock fan clutch fit it, the bpd adapter will fit it.

Reactions: Stiles
#23 ·
Correct. ^^^^ what he said

#24 ·
Sounds good. Thank you gentlemen

#25 ·
Does anybody know how to keep the codes from popping up

#26 ·
Are you getting a check engine light? If it is just a soft code I wouldn't worry about it and also don't think you can do anything about it unless a you could trick the computer that your fan is plugged in and operational.

#27 ·
Are you getting a CEL or just soft codes? Without the OEM fan in place the PCM is not getting fan speed feedback, so it will throw a code, but I thought I read that they were just soft codes. A custom tune should be able to turn it off I would think.

Tree'd by cowens677 :doh:

#28 ·
quick on the draw this morning :haha::woot:

#29 ·
No cel. I was wondering about s tuner being able to fix it.

#30 ·
Call or email your tuner. They may be able to turn the fan circuit off in the tune.

#31 ·
Lol....I got that part. I'll have to do it when I get back. Leaving for California tonight.

#32 ·
Warchild....curious to know if you will give some updates on the performance of your new setup.

thanks
Joe

#33 ·
You guys will love it. I had it in mine for a year. One of the best things Ive done

#35 ·
I just gotta get around to installing the BPD water pump and fan assembly.....work has been demanding lately.

Thanks for the heads up:)

#34 · (Edited)
What's to question? It feels like it might take some MPGs away but it's definitely a thousand times better than it did before. I will never go back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.