picking ring and pinion gear? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 03:58 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
picking ring and pinion gear?

been doing lots of searching on the org here trying to get all the right info...here is what i got so far 04 250 with ls3.73 and 5r110w trany (torqshift 5spd right?) im now running 40x15.5x22 toyo mt's...... so according to accu auto parts calculater i should be running 4.67-4.88's right? trying to buy the parts myself to try to cut cost, but im not sure what axles i have dana 60's 80's or a normal ford rear end....anyone know where i can get this info or how to tell and do all of my numbers look right so far. also what does normal gear swap cost....been quoted 1900-3500 and everything inbetween depending on if my carrier? will accept the new gears....any insight would be most appreciated thanks or do any of the vendors here sell complete kits front and rear?

Last edited by tootall; 06-29-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2009, 04:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

randys ring and pinion yukon gears are the best usually cost about 700-900 parts and labor but just depends where your at gear size 4:56 or 4:88 rear axle i think is sterling 10.5 and front dana60 not sure though
Old 06-29-2009, 05:21 PM
Serving Our Country!

You should have a sterling 10.5 and a Dana 60 up front...

As mentioned before Randy's ring and pinion is a great place to buy gears, highly recommended...
Old 06-30-2009, 10:34 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Go with Yukon from Randy's Ring and Pinion. You'll have a D60 front and 10.5 rear, you'll use 10.25 aftermarket gears and for install kits get the D60 master install and 10.25 master install. I'd go with 4.88s, but you could get away with 4.56 if you never tow and aren't too hard on your tranny. Also, the D60 has a carrier split at 4.10 (different carrier offset). So you may need to get a new carrier if they don't make 4.56 or 4.88s for the 4.10 and down carrier. If you do need a new carrier, do yourself a favor and put an E-Locker in the front

Where in Washington are you? Randy's Ring and Pinion is up near Seattle I believe, you could just have them do the job, they would be the best.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

After you buy the gears you will need someone with a press and elaphant ears to remove the bearing off the old pion and get the shim that is used. plase that on your new pion then press your your new bearing on. You will have to cut a small slit in your old pion baering and use that to press your new one on. When you take your old gears out make sure you keep the left shims on the left side and the right shims on the right. Take a micometer and meassure each shim and then add them up Don't cluster them togeather and take a messurment it will give you a wrong reading. Do that to each side of the carrier and will give you a good starting point to meassure your run out. A good trick for putting the carrier in with the shims is to put the carrier and shims in togeather at the same time instead of putting the carrier in then the left side shims and then it binds up the right shims. Also when butting the bearings in make sure you pour some gear oil in the bearings to get yourself a accurete reading on your prelode.

Tools needed:
Mircomater
runn out gauge
press
torque wrench
impact gun the get the pion shim down
also you will need a prelode torque wrench.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo4life View Post
After you buy the gears you will need someone with a press and elaphant ears to remove the bearing off the old pion and get the shim that is used. plase that on your new pion then press your your new bearing on.
Don't just blindly use the same pinion shim though. Most pinions are marked with their variance from standard (+2, -2, etc, in thousands of an inch). Also, bearings can vary, you'll need to check the pattern after its assembled and from that you may need to go back in and change the pinion shim. Don't assemble it with the crush sleeve and seal until you know your pattern is correct.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I porbly due 10 or 12 rear-ends a week especially when the ford lightning came out with the recall on all there rear ends, and I can count on one hand how many pion shims I have had to change out other then what was used stock and make sure you get more then one crush sleave. You will probly crush it to tight the first time after it gets snug to a trigger pull at a time and then messure your prelode and then repeat.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:39 AM

My gear pattern was OKAY with the stock shim, but I wanted it to be perfect so I ended up making 3-4 fine adjustments.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:16 PM

thanks for all the info, there is no way in hell im doing it myself hehe....not that talented, and i don't have all the tools, just trying to cut the cost down so i figured if i got all the gears myself, and install kits and ect. that id only have to pay 8-9 hours for labor.....thats my plan anyway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.