F550 need'n some TLC - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2009, 09:17 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F550 need'n some TLC

OK, here i go. (THIS IS A FRIENDS TRUCK)

WHAT HE HAS: '04 6.0 F550, CC Flatbed, 6 speed man w/488 gears, weighs in at #12,300 (daily weight), #32,000 total GVW when loaded occasionally.

WHTAT HE WANTS: looking for (+-)60 HP gain with tunes, what tuner is recommended for his set up. (i know Spartan is highly sought after for the 6.4's). He is also looking for an 'electric 2-speed rear end?? he said something about it being a gear box that goes between the driveline and rear differential. i know nothign about that part.

So any help would be greatly appreciated people, sometimes (almost always) its hard to find good help up in this area.... thanks again,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2009, 09:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Dieseltorkin
The SCT with a good tow tune for the chip. Those add on OD units he is talking about are $2000-3500, all they do is split each gear. I researched them quite a bit about a year ago. The info i found for trucks with 3:73 & 4:10 said that it actually hurt fuel economy while on long trips, that was also the 7.3L. With the 4:88 and a 6.0 it might be worth looking in to but they are pricey.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:32 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltorkin View Post
The SCT with a good tow tune for the chip. Those add on OD units he is talking about are $2000-3500, all they do is split each gear. I researched them quite a bit about a year ago. The info i found for trucks with 3:73 & 4:10 said that it actually hurt fuel economy while on long trips, that was also the 7.3L. With the 4:88 and a 6.0 it might be worth looking in to but they are pricey.
good to know, i thought he said the whole new trans would cost about that, and that is why he is now looking into the 'add on OD unit' now??? i dunno??
Old 06-24-2009, 09:36 PM

I have always heard good things about those gear venders over-under drives. I have yet too see one though.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:40 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrstroke6john View Post
I have always heard good things about those gear venders over-under drives. I have yet too see one though.
is that a brand by chance? or just what you're calling them?
Old 06-24-2009, 10:06 PM

Im not saying they are bad units by any means, just stating what i found through research about the gear ratios and how it performed with different ones. With 4:88's he might find some benefits with it. I believe about a year ago Diesel Power Mag did a write up coming to the same conclusion so you may search for some back issues also for some more info.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokedInMT View Post
is that a brand by chance? or just what you're calling them?
Yes thats one of the 3 companies that i found that made them. Gear vendors is the one DP tested. They have the best rep out of the 3 i found.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:16 PM
Serving Our Country!

will look into them, what about tuners and tunes? that work best with the 6.0? he is telling me he heard that the F550 was a slightly different motor with slightly more HP in stock form, is this true and again what tuner is best for the F550? thanks, you guys are very helpful around here.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:24 PM

I believe Its the same as the 250,350 etc... (someone else on here should know for sure) just with an up graded suspension and axles for the towing/hauling capacities. I would get an SCT Tuner with custom tunes. He will need to get a set of gauges also to monitor EGT's and such and atleast straight pipe the exhaust. Gotta lose that Cat and muffler. The stock air box will flow just fine for what your doing so i wouldnt drop any $ in an air intake. Elite Diesel and Innovative diesel both sell the SCT and can write you a custom tow tune for your vehicle and what its used for. Hope this helps
Old 06-24-2009, 10:29 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltorkin View Post
I believe Its the same as the 250,350 etc... (someone else on here should know for sure) just with an up graded suspension and axles for the towing/hauling capacities. I would get an SCT Tuner with custom tunes. He will need to get a set of gauges also to monitor EGT's and such and atleast straight pipe the exhaust. Gotta lose that Cat and muffler. The stock air box will flow just fine for what your doing so i wouldnt drop any $ in an air intake. Elite Diesel and Innovative diesel both sell the SCT and can write you a custom tow tune for your vehicle and what its used for. Hope this helps
yeah, he already did intake, and does plan to get rid of cat/muffler. you been a great help, thanks,,,,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.