Is diesel going out of style? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Fuel Price Area Discussions A place to discuss the fuel prices in your areas.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2008, 07:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is diesel going out of style?

I paid $3.79 for diesel today. Regular 87 octane was $3.08 at the same station (Sunoco). I purchased my 2008 F250 Diesel Lariat Crew Cab 4X4 one year ago and paid "dealer cost" of about $47,000 give or take which at the time was a very good deal. I just saw a similar new 2008 advertised today at the same dealership I purchased mine from a year ago for $37,000. I love my truck but I think now I may have made a mistake but I did not have any idea diesel fuel prices would be so high. Does anyone have an idea (other than pure greed) why diesel prices are so high? Thank God I am not a over the road truck drive trying to make a living and paying these prices. When is this going to end? I am parking my truck unless I REALLY need to drive it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have noticed that in winter diesel goes up and gas goes down. In summer, Gas goes up and diesel goes down. My theory is that in winter homes heating oil (A type of diesel)is in higher demand therefore raising the price. JMO
Old 03-07-2008, 09:56 PM

I think its just a great way of Fin us. I work at a furniture store and i have to hear everyone bit*h about the prices going up. WEll if the would put 2 and 2 together just about everyting gets trucked to a store and they are doing fuel surge charges so thats why everything is raising EVERYTHING, but our PAY!!!
Old 03-16-2008, 05:46 AM
Serving Our Country!

If your going to haul heavy loads then diesel is the way to go. Up here it has not gotten above 3.55, and that is horrible, I remember the days that a 120gal transfer tank would cost around 100 dollars to fill.

I was shocked that in the 15months I was gone how much the price of diesel had gone up but its the only way to go if your towing any weight behind you.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:59 AM

I would love to pay $3.55 - Central NY is at $4.28 right now. She's getting parked, I will be driving my airbagged Ranger for a while.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:15 AM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDH View Post
If your going to haul heavy loads then diesel is the way to go. Up here it has not gotten above 3.55, and that is horrible, I remember the days that a 120gal transfer tank would cost around 100 dollars to fill.

I was shocked that in the 15months I was gone how much the price of diesel had gone up but its the only way to go if your towing any weight behind you.
At $3.55, I'd be filling that transfer tank!!
Old 03-16-2008, 06:20 AM
Emergency Services

Send a message via AIM to cchase
haha yeah no crap! but i wont park mine. I would like to see it go to like 8 dollars. less traffic! just kidding prices suck, but they got us by the b*lls
Old 03-16-2008, 08:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You know I have been following gas prices for about 2 months now. Specially since I was worried about buying a truck that cost me at least 50 cents more per gallon to fill up.

I went from a car that gets 20/21 mpg avg. And then I started to weight my options.

One.. i cant tow **** with my car. A problem I didnt think about when i traded in my last truck for the car.. i was soooo focused on saving gas.. i didnt realize what i was giving up.

Moving stuff or purchasing stuff from Home Depot. My wife and I enjoy working on our back yard and also taking the kids to families house. I used to be able to put there bikes and such in the back of the truck.. not with the car.. cant haul anything..

So these two huge factors played a roll for me. Is it worth it for me to have my new truck? I guess it is.. would i hope it would hurt less.. sure i do.. but I am also hoping for that silver lining like everyone else.

Gas prices are on a rise.. unfortunately so is diesel. Now that spring is here I hope diesel prices go down. But until they make something that can replace my truck and do everything i need/want it to do.. I guess its time to suck it up.. literally.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:27 AM

The Bottom line.........................opec wont up production because as of this morning crude was $110.21 a barrel.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:43 AM

Everyone pays for high prices of diesel.

There is a supply and demand factor that is causing the price to be so high.
There is a few cents more tax on diesel than gas. When the ULSD came out the cost went up to adjust for that. It simply takes more to refine therefore a supply problem globally. Now you can't just get diesel for the service stations tanks without worrying about getting the right kind. Therefore a lot of extra cost in distribution is incurred.

Foreign countries use much more diesel these days.

Diesel is popular for heating.

We move stuff around too much.

The freight companies charge fuel surcharges which just increases the overall cost of shipping.

Oil is a public commodity. It's price is adjusted by what people are willing to pay for it. High bidders are people who have the money and need the oil bad enough to pay a higher price. This raises the price of oil.

Fuel is still very cheap these days if you compare it to other things and compared to wages. We enjoy very low fuel costs and drive more than any time in history. People could not afford to drive around everywhere fifty years ago. Today everyone has a car and is out driving around.

Look at the price in Europe where they use more diesel than gas.

The US fuel prices are by far the cheapest by a huge amount of any European prices.

Last edited by DavidPhillips; 03-16-2008 at 08:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.