Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Trucking companies and Diesel price

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  kinghawg98 
#1 ·
#2 ·
that is true something needs to be done. but im afraid that its gonna get a lot worse before it gets better...

#3 ·
people need to quit saying "something needs to be done"

That implies gov't help, the last thing we need.

It may be sad, but not every trucker is in that position. I just talked to an independent yesterday that was about to buy a brand new truck (a sticker of about 160k) and he just got a new duramax..so....while its great to find the one that is hurting, but its not the complete story.

#4 ·
Most indy's get fuel surecharges from the company they haul for on top of there milage rate. Poor trucker is like saying poor farmer. I'm not saying they are loaded but IF they run their business properly they can do very well for themselves.

You buudy that justbought a new truck did the smart thing. it's a write off for one and I don't know any trucker that make money in an unreliable rig.

#8 ·
then who??

think of this way: back when a barrel of oil was $50 per barrell, the price at the pump was $.80. now it is around $100 per barrell, so why are we not paying $1.60 per gallon???

#13 ·
No sir the SEC, Exxon/Mobile and the tree huggers did that.

We havent built a new refinery in 20 years
The 2 largest oil companies merged. less competition
We stopped looking for oil in teh states 20 years ago
Without tapping into strategic oil reserves the US has abouy 20 days reserve fuel at any one time. 5 years ago we had 6 months reserve fuel. The less fuel you have available the more its worth.

It would be like if you owned the largest beef cow heard in the country. You could cut back on breeding and raise your price per pound and no one could do anything, the independents and small farmers couldnt increase production enought to make a difference and only benefit from your actions.

#9 ·
mark my words, ol' Busch will have made more money than ever when he leaves the white house...and Dick also!

#11 ·
I get so tired of hearing its the brokers fault. What they fail to mention is someone at the carrier/trucking company agreed to haul that load that paid $1000. No one put a gun to his head.

On a side note. the over the road/ long haul trucking industry is hurting. If things dont turn around within the next 18 months we will see a wave of inflation I dont think any of us have seen in our life time.

If freight rates increase $1.00 per mile, long haul truckers will still struglle and you will see increase in consumer good costs worse that you see now....

Big companies like JB Hunt, Schnieder and Werner are cutting costs becuase they know once the independents fold capacity will tighten and rates will climb.

Its basic supply and demand.

I will digress as I could go on and on.

#14 · (Edited)

Don't kid yourselves! Ole slick Willy handed this country over to Geo. in the
middle of it's decent.

I AM an Independent Owner Operator and don't think that all of them are in terrific shape. I have been an O/O for 14+ yrs. and I KNOW how to run my business and things aren't rosey all over!!!!!! I couldn't have survived for this long without knowing what I'm doing and having more than my share of tough times. But I'll tell you this. With fuel bouncing the $4.00/ gal. mark. Things aren't the brightest for any trucker! I know that for a fact. I live this life every day and it's TOUGH.

We as truckers get a black eye and are made out to look like were bada**es or dumba**es and we are drug swallowing idiots (addicts)that never sleep and are out to get there no matter for the lives of anyone in their way. For alot of bad apples - We get kicked around and as far as that goes we get treated like a lower class of individuals. I am proud to be a trucker (O/O) and I am proud of the job that I do. It's just too bad that the world has to treat us this way. And it happens all the time to most! Noone wants to admit it, but that's the way that it is. A simple fact! Not that the gov't makes it any easier to be a O/O either! Many problems there too! I'm gettin' off of my soap box now....

#15 ·
Am I the only one here that thinks the war isn't helping the fuel usage?

#16 ·
Numbers don't lie

Well, I'm not saying that Oil Companies are solely to blame for these problems. You can bet the beer money that the government is mostly to blame for letting the situation degrade to this point. However, when Exxon last year made more money than any other company in history (I think it was 50,000 dollars per SECOND) something is up. Remember, that's PROFIT, not operating costs, that's all the money over and above the cost to run the company! The bottom line is that with existing infrastructure the actual cost to refine a barrell of oil has not changed in the last 30 years. That's directly from an Exxon engineer/scientists mouth. I wish I could find that article. His entire point was that while the cost of crude oil may indeed go up, the cost to make that oil into usable consumer goods has NOT gone up. Seeing how diesel requires about 40% LESS refining to make than gasoline it's AWFULLY funny that diesel fuel is about 40 to 50 cents more expensive than gas!!! Bottom line: A lot of people in much higher tax brackets than most of us are getting ultra rich off of this entire fiasco. They know we need fuel and are putting the screws to us plain and simple.

#17 ·
Please sir, read some fact, and learn about supply and demand.

Exactly what part of our economy runs on gasoline? Much MUCH less compared to diesel. Check out the other thread that is about truckers...I and a couple of others have posted some good information that sheds light on whats up with this nonsense.

Nobody is out to get us......and the US is not the only consumer of oil/oil products. It is not a case of the "rich taking advantage of the poor"

The govt does have a large portion to bear of this burden....but not because they arent stopping oil companies, rather because of the insane rules and regulation that LIMIT capitalism, growth, expansion and freedom. Another reason is the incredible stupidity of the Fed screwing with a) the interest rate and b) getting involved in private affairs (such as mortgages, setting price caps and price floors...etc) A good portion also lies with the tree hugger, alternative energy lobby, "not in my backyard" crowd, etc. They do not allow what needs to happen to keep up with THEIR demands.

Want cheaper gas? Get gov't LESS involved, get the 38 (or whatever it is in your state) cent tax REMOVED from the price of fuel you pay.

The greed of exxon and others, is a myth. Does anyone believe that ALL the oil companies (including the off brand ones) are colluding against us to take all of our money? Doesnt make sense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.