MPG 6.0 Powerstroke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Fuel Price Area Discussions A place to discuss the fuel prices in your areas.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 11:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
MPG 6.0 Powerstroke

Hello everyone

just bought a 2005 f350 with a 6.0 120000 on it. only get 12-13 mpg was wondering if anyone had any ideas how to get some more out of it? my step brother has a cummins says hes getting 23mpg think hes full of it but was hoping to get mine a bit better. was thinking about adding a bullydog but few guys on here said i needed to add gauges and all sorts of other stuff or i might smoke my motor or tranny.
anyway any ideas for better mpg?

thanks ~Kyle~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Premium Member

That MPG seems about right fron what ive seen. Maybe 16 or so at best on highway around 65MPH. SCT is the best tuning for the 6.0L. Data monitoring is critical on the 6.0L. So first invest in a good data monitor. But I have seen tuning help with fuel economy a little....
Old 08-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I had a 2004 6.0 and it managed around 16 in the city and a little over 20 on the highway. It had a leveling kit and 33x13.50 mtz's on it. The only performance it had was a magnaflow exhaust and hypertech maxx energy programmer(AVOID THESE). I say avoid this because it fried both my motor and transmission. I would definitely advise looking into an SCT either the SF3 with custom tunes and a set of gauges or a livewire with the custom tunes. Hope this helps.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

SCT tuner with some custom tunes got me better mileage. Is your 350 a dually? If so, the lower gears play into mileage. There is many different things you can do like exhaust, tunes, stock sized tires (reduce rolling mass) that in theory would get you better mileage but sometimes all of those dollars spent work, sometimes they dont. Even the different flashes of the computer play a role. I have an early 04 and it gets better mileage than a few friends that have 05s and up. There is some consensus that the older flashes are better on the fuel mileage.

And yes, as everyone above has said, gauges are a must too in the lists of mods. I like my scangauge II for the price.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:46 AM
Premium Member

im getting on average 17.6 to 18.4 mpg thats the math at 67mph and thats running with a edge evo on extream extra 100 hp these guys that say they get 23 or even 20 i think they must drive down hill both ways
Old 08-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

hahaha yeah for sure my cussin says hes getting 25 mpg in his stock cummins i said ok lets swap for a week and he had nothing to say after that haha
Old 08-13-2011, 05:48 PM

better mileage can be had but i have f250 so not sure on f350, mine is a 06 cc 4wd fx4 with sct and custom tunes from gearhead automotive, mbrp 4" exhaust cat free, guages; i run matts SRL tune all the time and with my setup i get 14-15 city and 19-22 highway, mind u this depends on your right foot and to get 22 i had to run cruise set on 65mph i see 19 running it how i want to, srl tune is really impressive i think as a dd tune
Old 08-13-2011, 06:00 PM
The Silent Service

If you're still on factory programming, the later flashes kill MPG's.

If you're looking to get the biggest bang for the dollar, you'll need 1) the ScangaugeII or Edge Insight CS/CTS to monitor the big four EGT, ECT, EOT, and Fuel Pressure (not curtain that the SGII can do FP). 2) An SCT Flash tuner with good custom tunes for your trucks strategy.

I ran hot tunes without doing an exhaust, and kept temps in check with my right foot. I've got the F350 Dually, with the TowBoss and 4.30 gears. Stock programming I'd average around 13.3 mpg combined, upto 15 mpg on the interstate, and around 10-12 in town depending on traffic. Tuned for Street (a non-studded file) I see 14.6 combined, 16 interstate, and around 12 in town. Tuned for X-Race (studded file) I see 15.3 combined, 16.5 interstate, and around 12.5 in town.

Tunes pick the truck up pretty well, and the higher the HP the bigger the MPG gain potential. If you can keep your foot out of it. However without the gauges, you don't know if your driving a motor that is about to fail on you.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My 2005 F350 gets 15-ish city, 18-ish interstate (75 MPH), and 20+ on the highway (60 MPH). My Super Duty is a six speed manual. I have a K&N open cone air filter and straight pipes (no cat). I run about 45 PSI on all terrain tires. With the stock air filter and exhaust, I would get about 16-17 MPG on the highway at best.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:34 AM
Premium Member

Just hand calculated mine: With Gearhead SRL+ tune I am getting 15.5mpg. My driving is mostly round town, but some highway as well. I try to keep my foot out of it, but sometimes... well u know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.