2009 & 2010 F-150 (4.6L vs 5.4L) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Ford Gassers A Place for Diesel nuts to discuss Ford Gasoline powered vehicles!!!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2009 & 2010 F-150 (4.6L vs 5.4L)

As much as I like the F-250 trucks and Powerstroke diesels, there is a chance that I'll end up getting a 2010 F-150 when my Mustang's lease expires in January. The diesels are so expensive as an optioin (as is fuel right now) in the Super Duty -- and I think the DPF is bullsh*t, so a half-ton gasser might be in my future instead. I doubt very much I would want a 250 with a gas engine; that's for sure.

I drove a co-workers 2009 F-150 FX4 and it is awesome. He has the 5.4L in his and claims it gets the same MPG as the 4.6L. I know they're the same basic block and that the F-150 comes with both a 240hp (2-valve) and a 290hp (3-valve) version of the 4.6L "Triton" engine. The 5.4L (also 3-valve) is about 340 hp or something like that. His truck was pretty quick, rode like a luxury car and was very well appointed inside. The FX4 has a lot of amenities!

I hear a lot of people here dissing the 5.4L as slow & thirsty in their F-250 and F-350 trucks, but are they really that bad for the lighter F-150? What about the 4.6L for a half-ton truck? My Mustang GT has a 4.6L (300 hp) under the hood and it has plenty of power and is not that bad on gas mileage. The 4.6L has served as the engine for the Crown Vic as well, and they seem to hold up for many miles in police & taxicab service.

If I end up with a gasser in an F-150, is it best to get the 5.4L or stick with the 3-valve version of the 4.6L? I am a long way out from contemplating leasing or purchasing a truck, but figure it is best to get as much information as possible from the Powertroke Brain Trust before considering making a move.

Then again, maybe an idea is to find a good 2005 or 2006 used F-250 and then I could have the 6.0L Powerstroke afterall. We'll see. If gasoline and diesel go sky-high again, I'll forget about getting a truck and keep driving my old Sentra (it's good on gas and is paid off). If all else fails, I could turn in my man card and get a little Ford Ranger. HAHA!!

** Thanks for any replies....and have a great day!! **

Last edited by JK23112; 06-04-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2009, 06:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

This may be irrelavent but i have owned both howeve not the 2009 or 2010 vierison but both f150's and i feel the 4.6 have to work so much harder just to keep up with were the 5.4 can easily cruise under light effort. My experience showed me there was no comparison and the 5.4 was the way to go.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:40 PM

Send a message via MSN to james7977
i have a 2005 f150 with the 5.4 it is much better then the 4.6 i also had a 2004 f150 4x4 with the 4.6 big difference in power i used to pull a 7000lb camper till we got a powerstroke with it and it did decent for the amount of weight i was pullin
Old 06-04-2009, 06:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i had a 4.6 in a f150 that got worse mileage and was way slower than the 5.4 in my expedition. and the expo was much heavier.it had 900lbs of stereo in the back lol
Old 06-04-2009, 06:57 PM

The 3v 4.6l is supposed to be a damn good runner, but I owned a 5.4 and loved it so that's at I would recommend. But I am holding out for the new 400 hp 5.0l that is suppose to hit the 2011 Mustangs and F-150's.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:19 AM

My first ride was a 97 4.6 f150 and it was a decent runner, but my dad has an 03 supercrew 150 with the 5.4 and there is no comparison in both power and milage. My best friend has an 06 with 5.4 3v and WOW he gets about 16 in town and 20 on highway and he's runnin 35s with no regear and an auto
Old 06-05-2009, 03:15 PM

4.6L vs 5.4L

Thanks for the replies. I still am hesitant to do anything right now, and I do have seven months remaining on my Mustang GT's lease. I also want to see which direction fuel prices are going by then. If unleaded climbs close to four bucks, forget a truck! I'll park it permanently and be stuck driving my Sentra all the time.

The 4.6L "three valve" engine for the '09 F-150 is probably the same one that is in the Mustang GT. The truck's engine is rated at 292 horsepower, while the Mustang's chimes in at 300 (probably because of its dual exhaust system). The 5.4L "3-valve" engine in the F-Series is rated at 320 hp, but probably puts out a lot more torque. The Mustang moves out smartly with a 4.6L, but I know it is smaller and lighter than a truck.

I guess both the 5.4L and 4.6L are strong on reliability, so I could probably be happy with either of them. I'll need to test-drive both before deciding, however, and view the EPA mileage of each. (I know they're close.)

Thanks again for chiming in, folks!

Old 06-05-2009, 03:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
dont have the newer 09-10 but i have a 08 F 150 with the 5.4L and its not too bad... that said i am very used to the power of my diesels.... its enough to carry some of my construction equipment but def no where near my PSD's torque....

i am luckly if i see 13mph mixed driving.. i saw 15 on the highway to vegas 1 time... and its a long bed extended cab...

hope that helps.. i know the newer versions are supposed to get a lil more MPG than the older ones and have a lil more HP..

-Raul
Old 06-05-2009, 03:44 PM

We did up an 09 for a dealership and I had and drove the truck for a week to show off the new bumpers on it and the fuel mileage was actually very good in the 5.4L... the one we did the jog on was the 4.6... definately use the extra money and get the bigger motor.... but for 2010 they will have the little diesel in the F150 do keep that in mind as well....

with it all said, I cant say anything bad about the new F150... a ton of room, nice ride, good power... i know I sound like the commercial but its a sweet truck... you can see the one I was driving if you look on the home page of my website too... it was a sweet truck
Old 06-05-2009, 03:46 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
the 5.4 has shown its reliability. the 4.6 has not had a good history. im told rangers do not get any better.

keep the truck and drive the car. just drive the truck every now and then to keep it working properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.