Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

confused.. need motor advice

871 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  6point0damn2004 
#1 · (Edited)
im working on this old truck i have. project truck. i want to make it just a cheap ground pounder. looking at motors right now. its deffinatley going to be a ford. i need some help on picking a motor.what motor would you guys pick.. 351w, 302 460.. or the newer 4.6/ 5.4? whats genrly the cheapest and easiest to come by. what one would be easiest to install into a non stock truck.

#2 ·
well whats it going in??? the new motors arent the way to go if you want to go on the cheap plus my experinces the 5.4l are a pos. get something with a carb. you can bore and stroke a 351 to a 416 and have a nice motor. but 460 are potent for high hp engines. there is nothing wrong with a 302 but its a little small...most of the parts from a 351 are interchangeable with the 302. i guess what it boils down too is what you can find cheap and rebuildable. thats how my projects begin...i just come by a cheap motor then i wounder what do i want to do with it.

#5 ·
I'd just get the biggest motor you can get and start there. 460? :dunno: Add some higher comp pistons, a good cam, a good carburator, and an ignition system. Not much more to old gas motors. Tune it and your done. Sounds way easier than it really is.

#6 ·
theres a 351 Cleveland on Craigslist by me for $300

here's the specifics from the listing

351 Cleveland Engine

-From 1972 Grand Torino
-85,000 miles
-Previously installed in 1969 Mustang
-Includes Engine, Flywheel, Clutch, Headers -Engine Size: 351 cubic inches
-new clutch
-new pressure plate and a bellhouseing
-new headers
-starter
-Carburetor is not new, and probably needs some work

Asking price is $300, but I will consider any reasonable offer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.